Why become a member? ×

Rosewood or Maple 'board?

Kobra11

Have not watched the clip but did they swap the necks over onto the same body and everything that goes with it or just compare two basses with different boards? Means nothing if its the latter as far as science is concerned :)

Even if you swapped necks the neck woods could have different grains etc that alter the sound anyway, Allevas have a dildo headstock for tone and if you beleive that then what differences could two identicle necks have regardless of the board?

Edited by stingrayPete1977

[quote name='chardbass' timestamp='1354533489' post='1886966']
This is a great video. Listen to the opening and skip to 1.50 if you want direct comparison as opposed to a full demo of the 55-02 (pick-up panning and coil tap shenanigans etc)
Its a great demo of the bass tho but the difference in woods is audible.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8dcEbiMaN-A[/media]
[/quote]

Is that the same bass with the neck replaced or two different basses?

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1354534386' post='1886979']
Have not watched the clip but did they swap the necks over onto the same body and everything that goes with it or just compare two basses with different boards? Means nothing if its the latter as far as science is concerned :)
[/quote]

Even the former isn't necessarily very rigorous science. Does taking a neck off, then putting it straight back on again make it sound different? Does replacing one neck with a nominally identical one make a difference?

[quote name='uncle psychosis' timestamp='1354536149' post='1887003']

Even the former isn't necessarily very rigorous science. Does taking a neck off, then putting it straight back on again make it sound different? Does replacing one neck with a nominally identical one make a difference?
[/quote]
No buts it's 90% more of a fair test, same body wood, same pickup windings, same bridge settings, same strings, same tone controls etc.

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1354536894' post='1887018']
No buts it's 90% more of a fair test, same body wood, same pickup windings, same bridge settings, same strings, same tone controls etc.
[/quote]

Yes, but since the point of the video is to show us the supposed difference between the two fingerboard woods how do we know that the audio hasn't been tweaked somewhere in the production process?

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1354537144' post='1887029']

Yes, but since the point of the video is to show us the supposed difference between the two fingerboard woods how do we know that the audio hasn't been tweaked somewhere in the production process?
[/quote]
We don't so it's best to ignore the whole thing and choose the bass you like the look and feel of best :)

[quote name='RhysP' timestamp='1354495691' post='1886756']
I've played more than enough EBMM basses to know I don't like them thanks, and I know that I'm not going to get on with any bass that has an oil finished neck - I can't stand them.
[/quote]

The fact you don't like them is a perfectly valid point of view, but fundamentally different from saying they're made without neck finish to save money, as you did originally.

I think the only way anyone is going to be able to choose between maple and rosewood is to try them - in my experience they sound a little different (yes, I know the bridge may be set slightly different and the body wood may be marginally different etc etc etc etc) but every rosewood boarded bass I've ever played has, to my ears, for instance, a less searing slap sound.

As I say - try them - and also decide which one looks better to you. A lot depends, IMO on the body colour as to which fretboard looks best - but it's all down to personal preference really - there's no right or wrong.

Edited by drTStingray

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1354536894' post='1887018']
[/quote]

Yes, but if taking a neck off and replacing it changes the sound just as much as taking a neck off and putting a different one on then your test is 100% pointless. Unless you have a baseline for your test then you can't make a comparison.

[quote name='uncle psychosis' timestamp='1354539428' post='1887070']

Yes, but if taking a neck off and replacing it changes the sound just as much as taking a neck off and putting a different one on then your test is 100% pointless. Unless you have a baseline for your test then you can't make a comparison.
[/quote]see my last post

[quote name='drTStingray' timestamp='1354539294' post='1887069']
The fact you don't like them is a perfectly valid point of view, but fundamentally different from saying they're made without neck finish to save money, as you did originally.
[/quote]

How can using an oil finish instead of a sprayed lacquer finish NOT save money?

A minimum wage muppet with an oily rag compared to somebody with the necessary spraying skills is going to be cheaper, and is also going to increase the number of basses produced as they don't have to wait for multiple lacquer coats to dry & be buffed.

With the amount of guitars & basses they produce that is going to save an enormous amount of money over time on both materials & labour costs, and whatever marketing crap they spout to justify using oil finishes instead of lacquer their prime reason for doing that would be to maximise profits.

If ebmm starting doing full gloss necks I would be the first person not to buy one, I imagine musician 20 would be close behind me and he buys enough for that to close the company down!

The finish of the board and the quality of the timber will need to be spot on to only oil it and it will still be hand buffed after anyway, try oiling a piece of timber you think is smooth and I bet it will come up as rough as feck after.

[quote name='RhysP' timestamp='1354540532' post='1887087']
How can using an oil finish instead of a sprayed lacquer finish NOT save money?

A minimum wage muppet with an oily rag compared to somebody with the necessary spraying skills is going to be cheaper, and is also going to increase the number of basses produced as they don't have to wait for multiple lacquer coats to dry & be buffed.

With the amount of guitars & basses they produce that is going to save an enormous amount of money over time on both materials & labour costs, and whatever marketing crap they spout to justify using oil finishes instead of lacquer their prime reason for doing that would be to maximise profits.
[/quote]

Well except that the necks are all hand finished by skilled labour anyway. And you or I don't have access to the info. I personally think it would be very marginal if anything at all. So I'm afraid your assertion is likely to be completely wrong.

I'm willing to accept you don't like these basses - not sure why you presume that the manufacturer is out to sting everyone who
does. In fact, past history suggests that of all the manufacturers, they're the least likely to do so, simply because they're run by businessmen/industrialists who are also enthusiasts.

IMHO, being worried about the tonal qualities of the fretboard is waaay too anal. You may as well get the density of the body and thickness of the paint analysed too, it'll probably affect the tone just as much.

2 Fender P's, one rosewood one maple, will still both sound like a Fender P. In fact I would say they'd sound exactly the same in a band mix, as far as anyone would ever notice.

Choose your fretboard for aesthetics and feel. I'm having ebony on my new bass because I love the feel of it, and I wanted something as dark as possible to go with the rest of the bass.

FWIW, I don't see that an oil finish would be particularly cheaper. It'll still take multiple coats and have to be knocked back between each coat, and then buffed.

I would of thought that the oil finish reflects the preferences of a lot of players these days, and is to bring EBMM basses more into line with what modern players expect from a high-end or boutique bass manufacturer?

• 2 weeks later...

There is a distinct difference between the two woods when used as fingerboards. Rosewood is indeed harder (despite some assertions to the contrary earlier in this thread) and much more expensive than Maple in its raw state. Maple has a noticeably brighter and (to my ears at least) less resonant sound characteristic. It also offer a completely different mid tonality imho.

My preference would be Rosewood every day of the week...however this is entirely subjective. I like the response, warmth and resonance of Rosewood and have always found that Maple does not suit my personal taste/feel.

Just my tuppenceworth.