Why become a member? ×

Vanderkley!

doctor_of_the_bass

[quote name='funkle' timestamp='1354385091' post='1885464']
Looks like a Faital driver in there. I'm guessing the 12HP1020 ([url="http://www.faitalpro.com/products/schede/hps.php?id=201050110"]http://www.faitalpro...hp?id=201050110[/url]).
[/quote]

I don't think that one's really designed for a conventional reflex box, I'd assume the 12PR300 for the lower power handling cabs and the 12FH520 for the higher.

Fair enough, I don't know enough about reading all the specs to be certain, and I know you've built a few cabs, so I'll defer to experience there. I was mainly looking at the freq/SPL charts. There is a serious roll-off in the low end in the Vanderkleys compared to my Acmes so I went hunting for a driver with the right dB rating, power rating, and which had an SPL/freq chart which matched what I hear. Of course the box and tuning have an impact on that.

I will point out I think the Vanderkley is an excellent cab; I just think a lot of the low end if from the 1st harmonics of E and A being emphasised as opposed to the fundamental. I don't think most people would ever know unless they had an Acme next to it pumping out the fundamental for comparison. Which I do. The Streamliner probably pairs well as it has a lot of baked in low end (at least according to the charts I've seen on Talkbass and my ears) which fattens things out nicely.

Anyhoo, my 2p.

[quote name='funkle' timestamp='1354441212' post='1885885']
I will point out I think the Vanderkley is an excellent cab; I just think a lot of the low end if from the 1st harmonics of E and A being emphasised as opposed to the fundamental. I don't think most people would ever know unless they had an Acme next to it pumping out the fundamental for comparison. Which I do. The Streamliner probably pairs well as it has a lot of baked in low end (at least according to the charts I've seen on Talkbass and my ears) which fattens things out nicely.
[/quote]

I've not heard them yet but according to hearsay these Faitals are some of the best neo speakers on the market at any price and are where I'd look if I was building a new cab. I'm sure the Vanderkleys sound excellent! It's very unusual for any cab to be flat between 40 and 100Hz, and the Faitals should go as loud or louder in this region than the Acme can manage, it'll just be (a lot) louder still higher up! I'd love to build a super-compact cab around their 8pr200 as well.

I gig a 212MNT cab, had it for about a year , powered by a Markbass Tube 800 .
Cuts right through two greedy guitarists like a butchers knife .
I can actually run the cab at lower volumes because I can hear what the bass is doing despite the guitarist best efforts to hog the whole sonic spectrum.
Not as deep ( subby ) as my old Markbass Cabs , but not as muddy either.
Thinking about a single 12 for practice /rehearsal .

( apologies for lack of techno - guff , if it sounds good , I like it )

Ah useful thanks! You can see it's an OEM version of the 12pr300, so they're definitely using Faitals. How similar it sounds to the Genz cab would depend on the crossover implementation and the chosen HF unit.
The Genz crosses quite high at 4kHz, a bit too high really if you want to avoid an off-axis drop in the upper-mid-range response. But that's almost universal in 2-way designs as it takes advantage of the natural on-axis roll off that starts round 3.5kHz, and is a LOT cheaper to implement in terms of components!
One speaker that Faital make that really intrigues me is the little 3" full-range 3fe22. It would be very interesting to see how that behaved as a midrange on a suitable horn with a 10" driver, if you got it right the off-axis response could be fantastic. At £20 or so I might buy one to play around with at some point.