Why become a member? ×

Why do sellers constantly mis-advertise Squiers as Fenders?!

darkandrew

This is one of my pet peeves, the number of sellers that mis-advertise Squier guitars and basses as Fenders.

Take this listing as an example:

[url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/two-electric-guitars-one-flying-v-and-a-showmaster-by-fender-/200846839062?pt=UK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV&hash=item2ec3678d16"]http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/two-electric-guitars-one-flying-v-and-a-showmaster-by-fender-/200846839062?pt=UK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV&hash=item2ec3678d16[/url]

The seller is selling two guitars, one of which is Squier Showmaster (easily identifiable from the Fender model by the reverse headstock) but is clearly advertising it as a Fender. I don't want to come across as the "Ebay Police" but this is one of my pet peeves so I emailed the seller letting him know that he is selling a Squire Showmaster not a Fender one, explainig the difference, not that I expect he'll change the listing. It's a bit like advertising a Skoda as a Lamborghini (well they are both made by VW aren't they).

My question is this, do you think sellers do this deliberatley in an attempt to catch out the unsuspecting or do they do it in good faith, believing they are selling a genuine Fender?

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' timestamp='1353108075' post='1871834']
They say 'by Fender' on them, as per the listing, Fender is the better search term. Not that this guy has the first clue about using search keywords. Quite a lot say 'Squier series, by Fender' too, so overall they are still Fenders, Squier is like a sub category.
[/quote]
I'm still not sure if he's being truely honest in his listing, not once does he mention Squier anywhere (back to the car analogy, it would be like buying a VW Golf only to get a Skoda Fabia with the seller saying "well the Skoda is by VW") but that's not to say for sure that he's being dishonest either - maybe he doesn't know the difference.

[quote name='darkandrew' timestamp='1353109001' post='1871839']
I'm still not sure if he's being truely honest in his listing, not once does he mention Squier anywhere (back to the car analogy, it would be like buying a VW Golf only to get a Skoda Fabia with the seller saying "well the Skoda is by VW") but that's not to say for sure that he's being dishonest either - maybe he doesn't know the difference.
[/quote]

Do the Skodas have "[size=6]Skoda [size=3]by VW" on them though? Some Squier stuff has the "Fender" bigger than the "Squier Series".[/size][/size]

[quote name='darkandrew' timestamp='1353107543' post='1871826']
This is one of my pet peeves, the number of sellers that mis-advertise Squier guitars and basses as Fenders.

Take this listing as an example:

[url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/two-electric-guitars-one-flying-v-and-a-showmaster-by-fender-/200846839062?pt=UK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV&hash=item2ec3678d16"]http://www.ebay.co.u...=item2ec3678d16[/url]

The seller is selling two guitars, one of which is Squier Showmaster (easily identifiable from the Fender model by the reverse headstock) but is clearly advertising it as a Fender. I don't want to come across as the "Ebay Police" but this is one of my pet peeves so I emailed the seller letting him know that he is selling a Squire Showmaster not a Fender one, explainig the difference, not that I expect he'll change the listing. It's a bit like advertising a Skoda as a Lamborghini (well they are both made by VW aren't they).

[/quote]

You're not alone. It seems kinda petty if you think about it too much, but it absolutely drives me up the wall. :dash1:

[quote name='darkandrew' timestamp='1353107543' post='1871826']
....My question is this, do you think sellers do this deliberatley in an attempt to catch out the unsuspecting....
[/quote]

It's "Estate Agent" syndrome. Pretend you're selling better than you are.

The same happens with Lakland sales. Too many sellers don't identify their basses as the cheaper Skyline models.

[quote name='SlapbassSteve' timestamp='1353126614' post='1871912']
You're not alone. It seems kinda petty if you think about it too much, but it absolutely drives me up the wall. :dash1:
[/quote]

Yes you're right it does "seem kinda petty". Other petty little things that drive me nuts on Ebay ads are:

Advertising basses and guitars as having "Active Pickups" when they don't (happens all the time with EMG Hz pickups)
Advertsising basses and guitars as having "Through Neck Construction" when in fact they have a glued-on neck

and please don't get me started on Rockbass and Ltd basses and guitars!

Edited by darkandrew

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' timestamp='1353109839' post='1871847']
Do the Skodas have "[size=6]Skoda [size=3]by VW" on them though? Some Squier stuff has the "Fender" bigger than the "Squier Series".[/size][/size]
[/quote]

Indeed, like this. This is a Squier bass, all original. Is it unreasonable to mention Fender in the ad title?

I'm always a bit baffled by peoples hang ups on this subject, Its a Fender Squier, a Squier Series Fender, a Squier by Fender, whatever it is, it's still a Fender.

I would add though, that they should put [i]all[/i] the information in the ad, but I don't think anyone is ever fooled, life's to short to be bothered, but thats just my point of view.

Edited by Rick's Fine '52

I don't think this is the best example of a misleading ad. It says in the title,
[b] two electric guitars,one flying v and a showmaster by fender[/b]

It [i]is[/i] a showmaster by Fender. He doesnt add that its a squier showmaster by Fender, but there's a big clue in the picture that shows the guitar witha squier decal'd headstock.

I agree with the post above that makes reference to all the junk seen when searching for 'Fender' on eBay, especially all those customized pickguards with photo's on, sometimes there's thousands of them, you can go through pages and not even see a guitar!! :(

Edited by Rick's Fine '52

[quote name='Rick's Fine '52' timestamp='1353190199' post='1872675']
Indeed, like this. This is a Squier bass, all original. Is it unreasonable to mention Fender in the ad title?

I'm always a bit baffled by peoples hang ups on this subject, Its a Fender Squier, a Squier Series Fender, a Squier by Fender, whatever it is, it's still a Fender.

I would add though, that they should put [i]all[/i] the information in the ad, but I don't think anyone is ever fooled, life's to short to be bothered, but thats just my point of view.
[/quote] what is the bass in the pic? JV?

[quote name='Rick's Fine '52' timestamp='1353194134' post='1872696']
I agree with the post above that makes reference to all the junk seen when searching for 'Fender' on eBay, especially all those customized pickguards with photo's on, sometimes there's thousands of them, you can go through pages and not even see a guitar!! :(
[/quote]

Need to use the categories option. Just a result of so much stuff being on ebay. I wish there was an ignore seller option so I could lose that amp covers guy.

[quote name='mart' timestamp='1353313978' post='1873402']
So, what do we all think about this then:
[url="http://www.johnnyshredfreak.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=33&products_id=409"]http://www.johnnyshr...products_id=409[/url]
:)
[/quote]

He doesnt mention Squier in the words, but does include a massive pic of the headstock, showing what it is, and it [i]is[/i] a Squier by Fender, so technically 'by Fender'. Just look at the pics, it shows what you're buying, hardly misleading, IMO. And for £106, I dont think anyones expecting anything else.

Selling is all about how you pitch what you're selling. You could have the best Bass in the world but it ain't gonna to sell if it's sitting in the store room of a shop under a pile of boxes and no one knows it's there. Sellers will do whatever they can to bring what they are selling to the potential buyers attention and that's been going since man started trading with each other.