Why become a member? ×

In-ear monitoring

Happy Jack

[quote name='Crazykiwi' post='391811' date='Jan 26 2009, 02:46 PM']Only if we do gigs in Cardiff. ;)

Thanks for your help OBBM and Crez, that info was just the ticket. Have either of you used IEM live? Did you find your ability to lock in with the drummer was affected in any way without a seismic thump for them to feel?[/quote]

Switched to IEMs ([url="http://www.sennheiser.co.uk/uk/icm.nsf/root/21510"]These[/url]) a while back and have not looked back since. Takes a while to get used to but with correct mics for ambience it's not too different.

Take a look at ACS...

ive just got fitted with these...plugs and in ear monitors...
im awaiting their arrival....

iv got an Audio Technica in ear system coming too....

the use of in ears is to protect your hearing as well as giving you your own mix...the T-2 that ACS offer reduce stage volume by -26db.then you can have your icolated mix direct into your ear,at minimal volume..
genuis.
i cant wait for them...

Hmm. Interesting stuff.

I recently bought a spare set of new 'E2C' headphones by Shure (which I SWEAR by) only to find they have been replaced with SLC2's which sound completely different. It really sucks because the E2Cs give me the exact sound that I hear when I am recorded so I can really rely on them. The SLC2s have a really high treble hiss and sound much thinner and, well, worse!

I better take real care of my current set of E2cs.....

Bummer

ped

This thread is really intersting...didn't realise how many people were using IEM.
I play at a big church (2000 seater Auditorium with top PA) which only use IEM for all musicians. So they have the full pro inear setup...I have a couple of questions for you guys though:
1. any of you guys play a fretless (especially 5 string+) I've been playing with IEM for years so I'm well used to them but I've never been able to hear enough low end to keep my low notes in tune (especially on B string), so even in this situation I have my cab on stage to give me the low end fill, anyone else find this?
2. I've only ever used IEM in this big auditorium situation with a dedicated Monitor mix engineer, I like using IEM but never thought of using it in a situation where I don't get a dedicated mix too...how do you guys work with in ears if you dont get a full dedicated mix with it? I'd be intersted since the idea of using them in other situations is appealing

Cheers, appreciate the feedback

I would love a simple in-ear monitoring system, for those gigs where you can't hear yourself, won't be able to hear yourself, etc etc.

I was thinking about perhaps mounting a headphone preamp inside my bass so that I could run headphones from it, just as a personal monitoring solution.

As a crazy thought, how about a volume pot that you can mount on your bass that has a headphone jack in the centre, the pot controlling the volume of the headphone output? I don't think it exists, but it would certainly be a nice easy way to add headphone capabilities to any bass.

Mark

[quote name='SimBass' post='392599' date='Jan 27 2009, 12:02 PM']This thread is really intersting...didn't realise how many people were using IEM.
I play at a big church (2000 seater Auditorium with top PA) which only use IEM for all musicians. So they have the full pro inear setup...I have a couple of questions for you guys though:
1. any of you guys play a fretless (especially 5 string+) I've been playing with IEM for years so I'm well used to them but I've never been able to hear enough low end to keep my low notes in tune (especially on B string), so even in this situation I have my cab on stage to give me the low end fill, anyone else find this?
2. I've only ever used IEM in this big auditorium situation with a dedicated Monitor mix engineer, I like using IEM but never thought of using it in a situation where I don't get a dedicated mix too...how do you guys work with in ears if you dont get a full dedicated mix with it? I'd be intersted since the idea of using them in other situations is appealing

Cheers, appreciate the feedback[/quote]

I play a 5 stringer..... we switch between the Sennhieser wireless system and the Aviom system depending on the gig and how big the stage is... as far as hearing the bottom end I you really need to make sure you have professionally moulded ear pieces with decent monitors.... The moulds are gonna cost you the money.... you can get decent monitors from about £100 upwards...

[quote name='crez5150' post='392726' date='Jan 27 2009, 01:48 PM']as far as hearing the bottom end I you really need to make sure you have professionally moulded ear pieces with decent monitors.... The moulds are gonna cost you the money.... you can get decent monitors from about £100 upwards...[/quote]
I'm not sure of the exact model but there are proper in ear monitor ear buds...so the moulded one's really make the difference? intersting...thanks.

• 1 year later...

Just thought I'd rake this old thread up again.

Any updates on IEM from users out there?

Interested in how you set up on stage etc.

Our singer is complaining he can't hear himself. We're using about 800 watts on the monitoring, so I suspect really we need to turn the back line down :)

However I said I'd investigate IEM for him.

Cheers

Martin

Hi Martin

I used IEM again on Sunday for church in the morning and evening. I used my rig in tandem with IEM. Basically, I used the IEM to monitor myself (plus a monitor feed that I could blend in with the headphones), and the PA guys were able (and allowed :)) to independently adjust the rig volume to whatever they wanted it to be without it affecting my monitoring ability. This was, by far, the best monitoring situation I've ever experienced as I could hear myself totally clearly and could control my own monitor level and mix & level (of myself and feed from board) all without affecting the onstage sound level. Without IEM this would not be possible.

This is, of course, primarily applicable to those with their own amp. So for allowing the sound guy to control onstage levels without affecting monitoring for individual musicians, IEM is a great idea. Lower onstage levels could then have a knock-on effect on how well the singer hears himself without necessarily going IEM. Nevertheless, it follows that he may as well try IEM at the same time - it'd make your practices a lot quieter if you were all hearing yourselves through IEM rather than backline.

If you have a look at some of the ART or Behringer Micromonitor devices, these allow you to blend a mix of an instrument with an auxiliary signal to a set of headphones, and are remarkably cheap. This would allow you to try IEM relatively cheaply, with each musician being able to set his/her own levels.

I for one certainly don't want to rely on foldback speakers for monitoring anymore. I'm sold on IEM.

Mark

Sorry, I've not read through the whole thread since the dog's just started yapping so apologies if someone's mentioned this before.

If you want to be in the cone of sound without pointing the cab at the roof, have you tried tilting it back a little and then standing on the other side of the stage? Depending on the room, bands I'm in have had to do it before (usually in small practice rooms for the guitarist's sake, can't say I've ever had to do it for a bass since they're more omnidirectional).

[quote]If you want to be in the cone of sound without pointing the cab at the roof, have you tried tilting it back a little and then standing on the other side of the stage? Depending on the room, bands I'm in have had to do it before (usually in small practice rooms for the guitarist's sake, can't say I've ever had to do it for a bass since they're more omnidirectional).[/quote]

I for one have rarely been in the situation where it is possible to stand that far away from your amp. IEM gives both you and the FOH significantly more control over personal monitor levels in a way that doesn't interfere with onstage sound, which in turn gives you a whole lot more control over onstage sound, and in turn more control over the FOH sound. Whilst I don't wish to belittle your suggestion, pointing a cab so as to direct it's sound all the way across the stage to where you would be standing does seem to fly in the face of having a controlled onstage sound, but that's just my opinion :)

[quote name='mcgraham' post='763998' date='Mar 4 2010, 02:37 PM']I for one have rarely been in the situation where it is possible to stand that far away from your amp. IEM gives both you and the FOH significantly more control over personal monitor levels in a way that doesn't interfere with onstage sound, which in turn gives you a whole lot more control over onstage sound, and in turn more control over the FOH sound. Whilst I don't wish to belittle your suggestion, pointing a cab so as to direct it's sound all the way across the stage to where you would be standing does seem to fly in the face of having a controlled onstage sound, but that's just my opinion :)[/quote]

Fair point, like I said, that's more of a solution I've used in small practice rooms where FOH sound isn't a consideration. :rolleyes: For smaller venues, angling a cab could be possible to an extent, it depends on the stage and what gear (both amp and PA) is being used. It definitely wouldn't be as ideal as IEMs though.

Indeed! Rehearsal spaces can be difficult areas to get good monitoring in. As the band leader for a few groups, I tend to keep a tight rein on sound levels in practices. I tend to let people adjust their own levels after an initial set up til individuals get a 'ratio' they are happy with (between respective amps and instruments - this usually gets quite loud), then (once they are happy) I get them all to turn themselves down whilst maintaining that ratio. I do this in rehearsals and co-ordinate with the FOH team to do the same for live events. It may or may not be an accepted professional practice to do this (I don't know - I'm not a pro sound engineer), but I find it keeps the band happy, keeps the FOH team happy, and shows the musicians they don't need to be loud/the loudest to have a good onstage/monitor sound.

Edited by mcgraham

• 2 years later...

I've persuaded my band to go totally in-ears now.
The guitarist and I use radio systems, he with Shure off the shelf phones, me with the basics from the kit I bought, but soon to be replaced with ACS T3 custom moulded jobbies. Lots of dosh (phones cost much more than the rest of the wireless lit), but worth it.
Downside: have to have much more stuff miced up, even on the smallest gigs, because the phones produce such good isolation!
But it means a huge reduction in kit-carrying (no monitor speakers), and less noise in the hearing holes!
Other downside: wasn't particularly pleasant having all that silicone squirted into my ears this afternoon!

Had some T2's for a while and yesterday upgraded to T1's - they really are the business!!

[quote name='Telebass' timestamp='1340307784' post='1702768']
I've persuaded my band to go totally in-ears now.
The guitarist and I use radio systems, he with Shure off the shelf phones, me with the basics from the kit I bought, but soon to be replaced with ACS T3 custom moulded jobbies. Lots of dosh (phones cost much more than the rest of the wireless lit), but worth it.
Downside: have to have much more stuff miced up, even on the smallest gigs, because the phones produce such good isolation!
But it means a huge reduction in kit-carrying (no monitor speakers), and less noise in the hearing holes!
Other downside: wasn't particularly pleasant having all that silicone squirted into my ears this afternoon!
[/quote]

• 1 year later...

Digging this old thread up. I am working on an inear setup for myself, and our drummer at the moment. I have moulded hearing protection anyway, and they can be fitted with headphones. But I hate cables. I stepped on the headphone cable today, :) so I am going to try a t.bone wireless system with them, and a cheap mixer table, so I can have full control over what I get.

• 3 weeks later...

My band have just got into IEM.... best thing we ever did. We use a wired system to keep expenditure down. Using a 4 channel Behringer headphone amp running off a Tascan digital portastudio. I had ACS ear protector moulds made for me last year, and just converted them to IEM's.... sounds great. At present we all share one mix. We are about to advance to having our oun individual mix (care of a Behringer X2442USB Mixer) which will be a great development I think.

ATB Paul.

[quote name='paulmcnamara' timestamp='1373975658' post='2143707']
My band have just got into IEM.... best thing we ever did. We use a wired system to keep expenditure down. Using a 4 channel Behringer headphone amp running off a Tascan digital portastudio. I had ACS ear protector moulds made for me last year, and just converted them to IEM's.... sounds great. At present we all share one mix. We are about to advance to having our oun individual mix (care of a Behringer X2442USB Mixer) which will be a great development I think.

ATB Paul.
[/quote]

You do realise that the Behringer mixer you talk of will only give you two mono mixes? - so only one mix more than you already have?

Just an addition - bought some cheapy headphone mixers from Thomann - the Millenium one - for use with a headphone extension for when we have deps in. They are are good cheap option for those looking for a simple headphone amp on a budget. Annoying standard euro plug but nothing an adaptor won't fix... and you can always run on a 9v battery which will see you through a gig no problem.

EDIT - these things [url="http://www.thomann.de/gb/millenium_hpa_in_ear.htm"]http://www.thomann.d..._hpa_in_ear.htm[/url]

But beware - they have no limiter so use at your own risk. I am running a brickwall limiter on my desk.

Edited by EBS_freak

Spoke to technical dept at Behringer and they assure me that I will be able to use four separate aux send mixes. Yes they will be in mono, but not a problem, yes 2 of them are post fader by default, again not a problem. Mixer has now arrived. I will unpack tonight and experiment and will report back. If it isn't the case it will have to go back to Behringer.

ATB Paul.

Reporting back.... Yes it works, I can set up 4 separate mono mixes using Aux 1 & 2 and FX 3 & 4. Really quite an amazing little mixer for the price.
It can be confusing and limiting using the labels that are already on a mixer. In some ways its best to think of these busses as busses for you to use as you like.
Cheers, Paul.