Why become a member? ×

Ok we are doing mustang Sally

gub

Jesus H Wossisname - can't players be a bunch of snobs.

Mustang Sally - played as we do with gusto , knob gags and any damp gusseted totty we can persuade on stage to do backing vocals with us ( we call them the 'Blue Jobs') has dragged more flat gigs out of the mire and into the realms of dancing on tables than I can remember. Just two weeks ago - Knaresboro - flat as a witches tit. Williams not interested. Not even Jimmy Saville gags worked. Started up with Mustang Sally........ they had to bring the bouncers inside to control folk before the revelling got too silly.

[quote name='Dr.Dave' timestamp='1352902794' post='1869121']
....Mustang Sally - played as we do with gusto , knob gags and any damp gusseted totty we can persuade on stage to do backing vocals with us ( we call them the 'Blue Jobs') has dragged more flat gigs out of the mire and into the realms of dancing on tables than I can remember. Just two weeks ago - Knaresboro - flat as a witches tit. Williams not interested. Not even Jimmy Saville gags worked. Started up with Mustang Sally........ they had to bring the bouncers inside to control folk before the revelling got too silly....
[/quote]

I'll play any number if it gets that kind of response.

[quote name='bluejay' timestamp='1352902519' post='1869114']
Hope tongue in cheek, otherwise load of stinking sexist crap...

As for the song, I've never been a big fan of it, but the punters (women [b]and [/b]men) like it and dance to it when it's played, and request it when it's not played. If, as a band, you go on stage primarily with a view to entertain, then you should not exclude it from your setlist just out of sheer prejudice.
[/quote]

Ok, mustang harry; the song upsets me as I see a potential grim window into a potential future for myself as Harry (49, wife left him six year previous and the kids think he is a waste of space and oxygen) trapses on to the dance floor, crotch stained with the evidence of a prostate with a similar veiw on his usefulness as his children, and removes his tie. Harry, attemting to appeal to the assembled woman, makes a rudimentary headband from said tie and attempts "life and soul of the party" dance come mating ritual, sub conciously aware of the revultion and pity in the eyes of the assembled crowd he convinces himself that he is enjoying himself. The song reaches its clap along call and responce section where Harry removes his tie and rides it like a twisted parody of a horse "ride harry, ride!" and brakes down crying on the floor, calling for his wife as the crowd slowly edge away from him. The man is removed and the band strike up "dakota" by the steriophonics its the second time they have played it tonight.

*tongue is firmly in cheek, scales balanced?

Edited by StephenFerguson

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1352903054' post='1869129']
I'll play any number if it gets that kind of response.
[/quote]

More to the point - the songs that came after that got the same reception which absolutely would not have happened had we not done Mustang Sally.

[quote name='StephenFerguson' timestamp='1352904239' post='1869149']
sigh, it does go down well, my covers band (the one I fin sing in) used to play it and I died inside everytime I had to do it, but yeah the crowd loved. The crowd are also the same people who bought mr blooby and crazy frog.
[/quote]

True , but the crowd are also the same people who bought my G K rig , my new reclining leather suite and my 3 weeks island hopping around the Greek Islands.

Although i often joke at my hatred for this songs endless covering. It all depends on who & how it is covered.

I often encounter it done badly & thats when I find legging it outside is the only way I can show my feelings as I would never be disrespectful to someone out there doing it.
I'm no longer in a band so am just one of the punters now. but it can be mostly found being played to death by every band on every weekend.

It can be done well & if you do get a good resonse it's worth having it in your armoury I suppose. I just know whenever a band starts playing it the locals at the Abbey in Bramley always exchange that "Aww not again" look & then the outside smoking area suddenly gets busy......it's known as the "Mustang rush hour"

Ok so I have taken your comments on board and I really will try harder to not be a music snob ;) after sitting down today (sober )and listening and going through it , I have put a few of my own extra bits in and am actually looking forward to playing it tonight in rehearsal !
X

[quote name='StephenFerguson' timestamp='1352904239' post='1869149']
The crowd are also the same people who bought mr blooby and crazy frog.
[/quote]

Hehehe. Right now I feel like one lucky bastard for not having any idea what mr blooby is, and only a vague reminiscense of crazy frog.

As to Mustang Sally, as indicated before by others, it's all about how you play it. Some lazy buggers standing like salt sacks and barely playing it up to speed is murder-type killing, especially if the D.i.C.K uses the ugliest sound in the cheap synth to do the brass parts.

But an inspired version with strong beat and drive, and a really personal touch, can be killer.
Imagine what a keyboardist with a filthy Hammond can do with this track, changing it each and every performance. Lots of space for a bassist as well, so I can't see any problem other than that it's not Gentle Giant or Zappa.

best,
bert

[quote name='StephenFerguson' timestamp='1352900817' post='1869056']
Sorry, I am a prick/snob/music facist, and the song just sounds like the furious dying ticks of the desperate 49 year old single womans bilogical clock as she drops her handbag at the front of the stage and dance/grinds out a silent plee that someone in the pub/function will consider her worthy of sneaking out on at 7am. Sorry.
[/quote] :lol:

[quote name='StephenFerguson' timestamp='1352903082' post='1869131']
Ok, mustang harry; the song upsets me as I see a potential grim window into a potential future for myself as Harry (49, wife left him six year previous and the kids think he is a waste of space and oxygen) trapses on to the dance floor, crotch stained with the evidence of a prostate with a similar veiw on his usefulness as his children, and removes his tie. Harry, attemting to appeal to the assembled woman, makes a rudimentary headband from said tie and attempts "life and soul of the party" dance come mating ritual, sub conciously aware of the revultion and pity in the eyes of the assembled crowd he convinces himself that he is enjoying himself. The song reaches its clap along call and responce section where Harry removes his tie and rides it like a twisted parody of a horse "ride harry, ride!" and brakes down crying on the floor, calling for his wife as the crowd slowly edge away from him. The man is removed and the band strike up "dakota" by the steriophonics its the second time they have played it tonight.

*tongue is firmly in cheek, scales balanced?
[/quote]

:lol: :lol: :lol:

We do Mustang Sally as the band is simply too lazy and scared to do anything that requires a little bit of imagination....

Goes down well but the difficulty with numbers like this is that they make everyone lazy, especially the band.

My problem with my present soul band is that they are so conservative its untrue.

To make it more interesting for myself I try to put different licks in, false harmonics, double stops etc.

The audience wouldnt know by that time of night.

Its so easy to do songs that have "always worked"- like Mustang for example- it takes no imagination or thought whatsoever to put this in the set. I think that musicians themselves are quite frightened of doing anything new- as in " we might die a death doing that one"- this makes most soul bands sets very very similar for example.

I particularly hate the " we have always done things like that and its always gone down well" train of thought and wish musicians would try to be less lazy with their set choices and push the envelope somewhat.

If I am at a do and the band goes into Mustang Sally, sugar pie,Midnight hour I am not impressed at all. I think we treat the normal audience as being quite thick sometimes and I would love to see a band do songs no-one else does. This is one of the reasons I am setting up another band- mainly for my enjoyment in doing some " out there" songs.Nothing wrong with Mustang really its just that its been done to death and I would love for someone to come on this thread and tell me its not boring to play. Lifes too short.

Edited by thumperbob 2002

I guess it all comes down to whether we want to play to please ourselves or to entertain the audience. Of course, we'd like to do both and I'd say Mustang Sally (et al) can be part of that mix. Some songs you win, some you lose, but it's the overall gig that counts in the end.

Seems to me that our good Dr Dave has the entertainment thing all wrapped up!

And since no one esle has posted examples, I'll offer this (as half the BC audience heads for the exits . . . . )

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h8M_3JTwtPg

[quote name='thumperbob 2002' timestamp='1352971941' post='1869868']I particularly hate the " we have always done things like that and its always gone down well" train of thought and wish musicians would try to be less lazy with their set choices and push the envelope somewhat.[/quote]

I don't know if it's laziness, or the oft-cited altruistic and noble desire to please the audience, or simply an egotistical need to have the public slurring along to choruses so the band feel like they're special.

I'm surprised nobody's mentioned the third one yet. Bit close to the bone?

I can see how it would get tiresome for all of you who have played it time and time again. But speaking as a beginner who has never played it, I wouldn't mind having a crack at it. Especially if it got the place rocking out.

But, speaking of musical cliches, what I would [b]really[/b] like to have a crack at is 'Freebird'.
Speaking as a desperate 50 something single woman, listening to the clock of doom ticking off the inevitable descent into senile dementia, 'Freebird' is [b]definitely [/b]on my bucket list. :P