Why become a member? ×

Anyone interrested in a basschat bass competition?

Oscar South

Not sure what it'd be yet but I think something bass orientated that excludes as few people as possible would be good, could all submit our entries and then have a separate thread where they are all collected up and voted on. I used to post on musicianforums.com and the comps they did there had a good rule where if you entered you had to give feedback on all the other entries or you 'couldn't' win, made sure that everyone got plenty of feedback on their entries.

Some ideas for the theme could be:

'Concept composition' (stole this from musicianforums.com), 3 or so pictures posted and all compositions must include a bass track and be related to that pic with some reasoning as to why.

'One track', a single track of unaccompanied bass guitar, anything goes.

Free for all, basically anything, as long as its bass centered (difficulty is you get a bunch of people just posting songs from their bands which kind of defeats the point).

Technique based comp (IE. tapping, fingerstyle, slapping).

etc.

Anyone up for something like this? If so any other ideas for the theme? I pretty much don't mind anything apart from I don't really like slapping so if I'm running anything it definately wouldn't be that.

I don't think there'd really be a prize unless everyone who entered wanted to donate some old bass junk or change to whoever won. Especially for a 'trial run' of this kind of thing, I don't think a prize (other than a special 'competition winner' title that only the mods could give or something else like that) is that good of an idea.

Hmmmmn ............... Ritual humiliation, zero votes, insults to my poor technique and timing ....... I'M IN!!!!!!!!!!!

Actually, I probably wouldn't. I've been in a few guitar competitions in my time, but bass seems more like a 'do a solid job' instrument rather than w*nk off to your hearts content. having said that, a few pointers on how to improve would be useful.

i HATE music as a competition lol

(that's not bad grammar, I needed the 'i' to be lower case to highlight the capital HATE) haha

In any case, if there is no voting for a winner and just a feedback system, isn't there already a forum for this?
The 'Recording' forum, where people can upload videos and tracks and get opinions etc
I'm much more likely to upload into that forum

Si

For some reason, I've just been reminded of:

What's the range of a six-string bass?

About 50 metres with a good swing.

Or how about naval battles on a local pond, with Dood, ARGH and me supplying the aircraft carriers?

I'd respectfully say that it sounds like an invitation to polarise people based on their musical tastes.
Everyone has their own appreciation of music and bass playing, and it is difficult to say who is "best" between two players in totally different genres or eras. I think it would be nice to expand the recording forum to allow people to post examples of their playing which can be (positively!!) criticised based on the playing rather than recording quality - no descending into a slanging match though.
Personally speaking I don't particularly go for thrash metal, but I can definitely appreciate talent and ability as well as good song arrangement. Note choice is personal and therefore very subjective, but I'm sure the more experienced members here could offer praise or encouragement in general terms (like how well the bass fits with the drums, or with the style of music etc.) To have someone say "that is sh**" would be rude, counter-productive and start just the kind of arguments that BC would, I expect, hope to avoid. Didn't someone recently post an example of their music and get some very rude replies?
What I would say is that a competition that would be very difficult to set criteria for, with no commercial recognition (or prize) would not seem to make sense - and as others have said, whilst there can be "better than", there really can't be a "best" in bass playing, or music.

Surprised at the feedback towards this. Few key themes would be:

-"Whats the point of entering if I can't be sure I'll win?"
-"Whats the point of entering if theres no prizes?"
-"We're not capable of handling voting/feedback/competitiveness properly"

Musicianforums.com (probably the most immature music forums on the internet) has been running these successfully for years and I figured that they'd work better on a forum with a less stupid user base. Its not about prizes or 'commercial exposure', its about friendly competitiveness, getting a few more people to hear your music, getting some decent feedback and having fun using bass in a less traditional way.

Anyway this thread served its purpose.

why not have "the worst bass video" comp,?
everyone just tries (or in my case, not try) to play a song bad. weather it be Style, sloppyness, dress sence, singing along, Im sure we can all come up with something ingenius and laughable.

everyone can easly get involved in that,
Only takes a cam of some kind and a little thought,
Can be any style, any song, any age, any ability.

Yeah no???

[quote name='Oscar South' post='198742' date='May 14 2008, 02:23 PM']Thats just not fun though, its like the 'slow race' at sports day for kids who had no chance of winning any other sporting event.[/quote]

:)

Well, come on then. Let's at least get the categories rolling.

Best solo bass composition/performance

Best Prog/Metal bass performance in an ensemble

Best Funk bass performance in an ensemble

Best Swing etc.

Fastest, most pointless, and widdliest noodling <- I will be entering this category with a piece I'll call "Single for too long - The Slap It Self-Abuse Suite"

Or do you guys think there should be no categories?

This is going to end up like the final act of the movie [i]Crossroads[/i], isn't it? :huh:

[quote name='Oscar South' post='198718' date='May 14 2008, 01:44 PM']Surprised at the feedback towards this. Few key themes would be:

-"Whats the point of entering if I can't be sure I'll win?"
-"Whats the point of entering if theres no prizes?"
-"We're not capable of handling voting/feedback/competitiveness properly"

Musicianforums.com (probably the most immature music forums on the internet) has been running these successfully for years and I figured that they'd work better on a forum with a less stupid user base. Its not about prizes or 'commercial exposure', its about friendly competitiveness, getting a few more people to hear your music, getting some decent feedback and having fun using bass in a less traditional way.

Anyway this thread served its purpose.[/quote]

I'm all for players getting more exposure here (and getting to know each other better).
What's the point having a competition that isn't formalised with some kind of reward? Every competition has a winner (and a prize) so how can it just be friendly rivalry? As someone once said - if the score doesn't matter, why keep a count :)
Which leads me back to the key point - how you gonna judge who is better? I like a lot of players but I couldn't say any one player is the best.

[quote name='XB26354' post='198781' date='May 14 2008, 02:57 PM']I'm all for players getting more exposure here (and getting to know each other better).
What's the point having a competition that isn't formalised with some kind of reward? Every competition has a winner (and a prize) so how can it just be friendly rivalry? As someone once said - if the score doesn't matter, why keep a count :)
Which leads me back to the key point - how you gonna judge who is better? I like a lot of players but I couldn't say any one player is the best.[/quote]

The 'Funk is its own reward' is a great analogy here, funk representing all music in general. If you don't care about music and just about material gain then sell your instruments and buy lottery tickets. I think it'd be good for the winner to be awarded a special title or something by the mods though, if they agree.

Winner will be determined in a separate thread by voting, also everyone who entered will have to give feedback on everyone elses entries or else be barred from winning themselves (these comps usually don't end up with more than 5-6 submitted entries anyway).

Edited by Oscar South

[quote name='The Funk' post='198764' date='May 14 2008, 02:45 PM']:)

Well, come on then. Let's at least get the categories rolling.

Best solo bass composition/performance

Best Prog/Metal bass performance in an ensemble

Best Funk bass performance in an ensemble

Best Swing etc.

Fastest, most pointless, and widdliest noodling <- I will be entering this category with a piece I'll call "Single for too long - The Slap It Self-Abuse Suite"

Or do you guys think there should be no categories?

This is going to end up like the final act of the movie [i]Crossroads[/i], isn't it? :huh:[/quote]

I don't like the idea of genre or technique restrictions really, and i think 'ensemble' pieces make it too complicated and dependent on external factors. My personal favourate ideas are:

-concept piece as described in my original post
-one track no overdubs solo bass composition or arrangement
-free for all bass centered arrangement or composition

I think entries should be judged on audio only, not everyone has a webcam but almost everyone has a means to record audio.

This post is hypothetical as its pretty much not going to happen unless theres a sudden boost in enthusiasm.

[quote name='The Funk' post='198788' date='May 14 2008, 03:03 PM']The main prize in winning any competition is the ego stroking you get, surely?[/quote]

Exactly.

Edited by Oscar South

+1 for the post above ^^^^^^

What a hilarious idea. I think this would be a great way to allow BC'ers to converse with there playing more and it just sounds fun to me. definatly up for it, even though my skills arnt exactly fantastic but tbh i dont care if someone else is better than me. Good on them for trying harder id say.

I'm running away in sheer terror....... :)

No seriously I am. In my opinion, music shouldn't be a competition....

It's bad enough when people get the wrong end of the stick in the forum. Feedback left would have to be carefully worded so there's no offence caused.

Edited by 7string