Why become a member? ×

What strings do you use & why?

ellie

Guest bassman7755

Have used Elixir nanowebs exclusively on all my basses for the last 10 years or so. The current set I have on is about 2 years old and sound like "normal" strings would do about a month old. Especially fantastic for fretless as they are almost as smooth to slide as flat wounds yet with roundwound brightness.

[quote name='alstocko' timestamp='1351993921' post='1857725']
TIs were too hard to get hold of.
[/quote]

I have no problems getting mine here : [url="http://www.lordofthestrings.com/lots/RALBD/Thomastik/1570.html#1010"]http://www.lordofthestrings.com/lots/RALBD/Thomastik/1570.html#1010[/url]

One of the cheapest I've come across too.

Edited by Coilte

Elites got me into stainless steel strings. That was a real game changer for me! I recently switched to D'Addario Prosteels though because they last a bit longer, and I prefer them slightly rougher (otherwise my fingers tend to slip off the strings when sweat comes into play!). I also prefer the look of strings without the silk at either ends :gas:

Yes,Ellie,this subject has been done before a few times.....

I use DR Black Beauties on stage,partly because they're black,and partly because I like the sound,but I don't like the price...I use D'Addario nickels everywhere else.

I've made my opinions on Rotosounds quite clear before,but for the benefit of anyone who hasn't seen it,I utterly despise Rotosound and wouldn't use them even if I was paid to.My 1978 Fender Precisions both have serious fretware due to Rotosound not understanding the basic concept of making strings that aren't capable of doubling as saw blades.

[quote name='GUI101' timestamp='1351979396' post='1857600']
Hi Ellie,

Like you I have always used rotosound on my corvette, but recently went with a set of D'addario pro steels as the 'vette sounded great with the brightness of new swing 66's and I wanted that to last.
So far so good, have still got that bright zing and they are ubber clear, to the point where my fretting has become more accurate.
[/quote]

+1 for pro steels.

I love the feel, tension and sound with my Shuker 6 string fretless P.
They have a fantastic clear sound with good balance and will last longer than most due to the bright sound. They really cut through a band mix and I don't have to eq the sound to get that cut.

[quote name='lowdown' timestamp='1351941615' post='1857079']
Hey Ellie, you are doing a gig just up the road from me on Wednesday [Haystack] - I might pop in and see the band.

Dean Markley SR2000's Stainless Steel Rounds 47/67/87/107 with a custom 135 B string.
Fretted & Fretless.
Nice and tight, great for finger and slap.
Very meaty & Zingy, and last quite a while.
Bit pricey, but have been using them for a while and love them.

Garry
[/quote]

Hi Garry
We're running the jam night, come along with your bass and sit in, if you don't feel like playing just pop along and say hi. :)

Big thanks for all your replies guys. guess I'm gonna have to get hold of a few different sets. I have tried a few over the years but always ended up back with the Rotos. Time to try something different methinks. I use flats on my fretless didn't really like them on fretted basses.

Spike I used Rotos on my Ricky for ten years of gigging without serious fret ware. :unsure:

Ellie

[quote name='risingson' timestamp='1351963713' post='1857387']
I think I've tried most types of strings now but I always gravitate back to D'Addario. I really love their nickel XL's and unlike many other strings (like DR IMO) they are really decent value for money.

I also have one of my basses strung with Status Hotwire flats, which are again excellent value for money. A little bright but they mellow nicely after one or two gigs. Also like D'Addario Chromes and TI Flats for the lower tension.
[/quote]

How does the HotWire Flats tension compare to the TI Flats and Chromes?

Thanks

I always used to buy the cheapest that the shop had in, either Rotos or Ernie Balls. Last year I decided to try something more well thought of and had decided to try DRs, I hadn't decided exactly which ones. But then I started reading that the quality control of the latest stuff wasn't up to much so, as they're quite expensive, I changed my mind. I decided to try something completely different and bought some D'Addario Chromes 50-105. They have been an absolute revelation. They're currently on their second Bass, where they will be staying, and they sound exactly the same now as they did when new. I shall be installing them on all my Basses, eventually.
One thing about the tension, while the G string is slightly harder to bend than other strings I have tried, I find the E A & D strings much easier to bend. Everything about them just seems more fluid.

I do have some DR Pure Blues 11s on my Dean Cadillac and they're really nice.

Edited by KingBollock

I'm a big fan of D'Addario nickels. (1) They sound right to be (funk and jazz, with a bit of slap) (2) They are perfectly priced (3) They come in little sealed bag (which I love, I'm a sucker for these bags) (4) They they are smooth on my fingers (as opposed to steel) (5) They come in many gauges (although I gravitate around a 40-100-125) (6) They stay fresh relatively long with the right level of care (string cleaner wipe every now and then).

BUT

I also got into Elixir Nanoweb recently. And, I love these too. I will probably buy more if my finances allow that.

[quote name='RambleOn' timestamp='1352074685' post='1858548']

How does the HotWire Flats tension compare to the TI Flats and Chromes?

Thanks
[/quote]

I'd say the Hotwires were quite high, probably not much difference between those and the Chromes that I can recall. As Colite says, the TI's are low on the scale of flats, obviously this makes them slightly preferable for people used to using rounds a lot. Personally I prefer the almost double bass-like tension of something like the Hotwires. La Bellas are the highest I've used personally.

[quote name='risingson' timestamp='1352119057' post='1858872']
I'd say the Hotwires were quite high, probably not much difference between those and the Chromes that I can recall. As Colite says, the TI's are low on the scale of flats, obviously this makes them slightly preferable for people used to using rounds a lot. Personally I prefer the almost double bass-like tension of something like the Hotwires. La Bellas are the highest I've used personally.
[/quote]
Thanks.
Hotwires don´t seem to be what I'm looking for, maybe DR Flats??

[quote name='RambleOn' timestamp='1352135665' post='1859199']
Thanks.
Hotwires don´t seem to be what I'm looking for, maybe DR Flats??
[/quote]

What are you looking for? I was totally unaware DR even made flats. If you're looking for lower tension then get the TI's, I don't think you can go wrong.

[quote name='Nico@Bass' timestamp='1352129803' post='1859089']
Hartke. Reason is simple: very very very cheap... But it is either a hit or miss with them. Sometimes the strings are just dead out of the box.
[/quote]

Hartke have very good customer service, if you ever get a dead set you should try contacting them :)

I have a big box of strings. They're all muddled up. I have three heavy gauge strings I really like on my bass but the E string broke and I couldn't find one that matched. I can't remember where I got the other strings- I think they were on the bass when I bought it. The builder told me the make so I bought a new set but they're nothing like them. DRs were great on the Wal but not on the present bass. Rotos feel too rough - the current budget packs are incredibly rough, in fact. Just ordered heavy gauge Hi Beams. I'm hoping that will do the job but they're expensive...