Why become a member? ×

What strings do you use & why?

ellie

[quote name='4StringFortress' timestamp='1352491695' post='1863907']
Im currently playing round with nickle round strings as I want more growl and less zing. I have only used the Legacy sets from StringsDirect and they seem to be pretty good, I have a set of Picato nickles to trial. Has anyone got suggestions for me to try?
[/quote]

I heard a rumour that Lagacy strings are made by Rotosound. I did try a set but didn't like them. I prefer the zing myself, maybe someome here can help.

Ellie :)

[quote name='ellie' timestamp='1353055196' post='1870929']
I heard a rumour that Lagacy strings are made by Rotosound. I did try a set but didn't like them. I prefer the zing myself, maybe someome here can help.

Ellie :)
[/quote]

Yea the Legacy strings are good quality strings but are very limited in their gauges, the 5 string sets only comes in at .45.65.85.105.130. I like to use a lighter gauge more like 40-120 so iv got hold of some Dunlop nickels in that gauge to give a go =).

Have been a confirmed Swing Bass user for many years but I am trying out a set of Newtone Platinums at the moment in my quest to reduce boom. I really like them, expensive but I only change strings once a year so I may go for more.

I can also vouch for Trubass for Motown, much better definition than the I-don't-know-what-flats which were on my old P before.

I have used the Legacy strings quite a few times now, they deaden down to a fine sound, certainly for their price. Picato seem to offer great value too.

I am bemused that, with the huge difference the choice of string makes to the sound there are so many more discussions regarding the (inaudible?) subtleties brought by the choice of wood with which the pickup and bridge are held.

Used all sorts over the years, Rotos, Fender's own brand, obscure non-name sets, Elites, Rickenbacker. Whatever i use I still sound like [i]me. [/i]Recently I've found the Hartkes to be excellent value for money (those with the different colour ferrule at the end of each string so even people like me can't get them mixed up :rolleyes: ), I'm sure both my Fenders currently have these strings on. Not had a dead set yet and when I bought them they were doing boxes with three sets in for under £20 or something daft. Not bought any for a couple of years though, don't get throug them that fast. Not had a duff set of Hartkes yet.

[quote name='KevB' timestamp='1353079360' post='1871415']
Used all sorts over the years, Rotos, Fender's own brand, obscure non-name sets, Elites, Rickenbacker. Whatever i use I still sound like [i]me. [/i]
[/quote]

Ha, nice one. Exactly the same here. Even if a bright new set sounds like someone who can do slap better than I!

I use them ones there [[i]points to bass[/i]]. They came with it.

I'm not one for swapping strings much. I don't play bass anywhere other than at home. My hohner Jack V is wearing the strings that came with it when I bought it 16 years ago!

Edited by Angel

[quote name='Angel' timestamp='1353100535' post='1871733']
I use them ones there [[i]points to bass[/i]]. They came with it.

I'm not one for swapping strings much. I don't play bass anywhere other than at home. My hohner Jack V is wearing the strings that came with it when I bought it 16 years ago!
[/quote]

You're in good company, when 'Nard Edwards was asked about his strings he turned to Nile Rogers to ask 'What strings come with a Musicman?' I'm still trying to emulate Edwards' sound, but in the end, KevB has hit it on the nail.

I use Roto flats , I have no technical reasons for liking them , they feel good and sound fine to me , and when I snapped an end when swapping a set to an old guitar , they sent me a new string FOC. that reminds me I do need a new set and probably another for a new toy due soon :)

[quote name='Nico@Bass' timestamp='1353509466' post='1875391']
Seriously? I will try... but they are really good for a set of 3 which cost only 15 euros where I live... :D
[/quote]

It's always worth a try! Rotosound have great customer service too. It's just a shame I don't get on with either brands of string :lol: