Why become a member? ×

Little Bastard vs. Terror Bass as to sound quality

BassTractor

Hi,

Disregarding wattage and the like, are there strong reasons [b]soundwise[/b] or [b]buildqualitywise[/b] to choose one or the other?
Anyone know?

I'm looking to have two rigs: one "trad." and one "Hi-Fi", and then experiment and learn. The choice between these two also depends on their traditionalness.

best,
bert

Hi Bert,

I can only speak for the Little Bastard, mine is the 1st - Serial Number 1 - of the hand made UK 100. I've had it from new, straight from the factory & it's been used almost every day since. Not a problem, day in day out, so ultra reliable in my experience & the tones available are everything an all valve amp should be, can't fault it, does everything I want in a amp. I must admit, it's old school, that's just right for me.

Traditionalness? Yes indeed, absolutely ;) in bucket loads :lol:

I've recently bought a new MiBass 220 for the 'alternative' sounds B) & the portability, it does exactly what it says on the packet :lol: with Ashdown tones by the ton.

Can't comment on the PRC made LB models, other than I've not heard of any problems with them.

Haven't touched an Orange amp for 30 or more years I suppose, they were good in the day but I always used HiWatt :rolleyes: I'm sure you'll get plenty of replies from the current Orange Bass Terror owners to balance with my views.

Cheerz, John

No experience with the LB, did have an OTB. It`s a very warm old-school sound, and certainly has its own identity - whatever eq you choose, you still sound like you are playing through that amp, unlike some amps which seem to replicate many sounds without an actual identity of their own. Not therefore, the most versatile of amps, but great at what it does, and ridiculous amounts of power - put it through a 412 or 810 and just grin insanely.

Theres also a very good review on youtube for the OTB, really shows what the amp is capable of:

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h-rN4glWmTs"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h-rN4glWmTs[/url]

Edited by Lozz196

I have owned both a Terror Bass and a UK made Little Bastard and I had them at the same time. Ultimately I sold the LB and kept the OTB. There wasn't really much that the LB could do that the OTB couldn't. I also couldn't really see the point in the LB, it was a bit overkill for home practice, too quiet for any sized gig and not versatile enough for studio rehearsal. The OTB is an incredible piece of equipment.

The thing that got me about the LB was that it felt a bit cheap and it was overly bulky for a little amp.

Thanks very much, guys!

My listening experience in a shop today taught me again what I'd forgotten: that amps may well need a lot of volume before showing their true character.
Can't test these two though.

I have planned on using the new amp almost exclusively at home only, so I don't need the OTB's 500W.

I'm guessing the Little Bastard will sound well in the living room, and that the "overkill" aspect has to do with price, yes?
There's one on offer locally where I basically get it at half the price of the OTB, which makes it more tempting.

Would the OTB sound well at low living room volume, you think? I guess it won't.

best,
bert

Thanks very much guys! This has really helped.

Not being able to test them, I'm going for the Little Bastard that is on special offer. Can always get hold of an OTB later should I want some serious wattage.

[quote name='walbassist' timestamp='1351242553' post='1849064']
And the matching LB212 cab. A match made in heaven......
[/quote]

Ah! There you have it.
I'd been wondering about a special cab for the LB, and here's my answer. These are not imported to Norway, so I'd never seen one.

On the Ashdown site both the LB 112 and the LB 212 are under Legacy, and under Dual Tube one can find the VS series.

I notice the VS models weigh quite more than the LB, and have a "road-ready" description. They seem a lot cheaper though.
LB 112: 09 kg
VS-112: 17 kg
LB 212: 14 kg
VS-212: 31 kg

Q: would the LB 112 do as well? There are some left in UK shops.

Q: would the VS series do as well? (I already just ordered a super cheap VS 112 for a friend of mine, but ... well ... ya know ... GAS)

best,
bert

Yeah go for it Bert! Wise move :)

When my LB was nearing completion, (I ordered it in October 09 when they were first announced & waited until March 10 wasn't it?), I asked about a matching cab & was told they were going to do a 212. I thought that was overkill for a 30 watt amp so asked them to make me a 112, which they did & I still use it. Although to me it wasn't quite a 'full' sound on it's own, lacking a bit of depth & top end. I got a Ashdown mini 48 to go with, which has made what I consider to be a superb combination.

I don't know if the spec on the 112s in the shops now are the same as mine, but quite honestly I'd say there are better 112 cabs to be had. The new MiBass 12 may be worth a look.

Cheerz, John

[quote name='BassTractor' timestamp='1351273859' post='1849641']
Thanks very much guys! This has really helped.

Not being able to test them, I'm going for the Little Bastard that is on special offer. Can always get hold of an OTB later should I want some serious wattage.

Ah! There you have it.
I'd been wondering about a special cab for the LB, and here's my answer. These are not imported to Norway, so I'd never seen one.

On the Ashdown site both the LB 112 and the LB 212 are under Legacy, and under Dual Tube one can find the VS series.

I notice the VS models weigh quite more than the LB, and have a "road-ready" description. They seem a lot cheaper though.
LB 112: 09 kg
VS-112: 17 kg
LB 212: 14 kg
VS-212: 31 kg

Q: would the LB 112 do as well? There are some left in UK shops.

Q: would the VS series do as well? (I already just ordered a super cheap VS 112 for a friend of mine, but ... well ... ya know ... GAS)

best,
bert
[/quote]

I recently enquired about a pre-owned LB212, and the owner kindly weighed it for me. It came in at a fraction under 28kg, which is twice the advertised weight. Be wary if weight is a deciding factor.

[quote name='RandomBass' timestamp='1351424504' post='1850989']
I recently enquired about a pre-owned LB212, and the owner kindly weighed it for me. It came in at a fraction under 28kg, which is twice the advertised weight. Be wary if weight is a deciding factor.
[/quote]

Whoa! Thanks, mate! Weight is essential, as the friend who's gonna borrow everything is a petite lady who works in IT.
Happily, she [b]is[/b] able to press down the keys on her keyboard, and win over me in a catfight. ;)

best,
bert - fetching his LB30 tomorrow morning and plugging it in a MAG410 for the time being. Sceptical about that, but hey.

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='KiOgon' timestamp='1352399687' post='1862625']
Did it work Bert? You've gone all quiet like :( :unsure: :blink:
[/quote]

and:

[quote name='RandomBass' timestamp='1352408232' post='1862792']
+30 (watts) lol. We crave an update...
[/quote]

Sorry, guys. Things went a little differently. The MAG combo was sold right after I had put in an ad, and the LB-112 that arrived needed a Speakon cable no shop here had in store. :blink:
Time came, passed and went away.

Anyway, today I was finally able to hear the Bastard through the Bastard speaker.
I was overwhelmed with the bass response: full and "round", but clear and defined (I don't mean overtone-defined. I mean the slow movements of the speaker themselves).
LUVERLY!
Overtones were natural and present, in a modest way. This pair sounds (to my ears at least) less subdued and retired-at-the-back than the MAG 300 with MAG 410, and also more personal.
However, in a maybe strange way, I feel the MAG combo seems more regular and general purpose, but I like the Bastards more.

Very, very satisfied indeed. I feel secure I will love this set.

Have not yet managed to try with the active basses in the LOW input, but am looking forward to some dirty tubey sounds.

I've ordered another LB-112 straight away (not rich, you know, but selling everything I see in and around my house to get the dough - Sorry, the wife's gone already). Another thread makes me expect that together, they will sound roughly like a LB-212, which seems good.

Mind you, I'm not gonna live with just the LBs. I want a little modern hi-fi thingie on their side. They can marry for all I care, or make bastard babies - I just want both alternatives present in the same room, so I can plug 'n' play 'n' learn.

Thanks for the interest!

best,
bert

Edited by BassTractor

[color=#0000cd][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]- - "the LB-112 that arrived needed a Speakon cable no shop here had in store. [/font] :blink:" - - [/color]

Did nobody know the sockets Ashdown use are dual purpose Speakon/1/4" Jack ?? :o If a 1/4" Jack fits in the hole in the centre of the Speakon then it's a dual purpose socket & works just as well with either

[color=#0000cd]- - "[font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Mind you, I'm not gonna live with just the LBs. I want a little modern hi-fi thingie on their side. They can marry for all I care, or make bastard babies - I just want both alternatives present in the same room, so I can plug 'n' play 'n' learn.[/font]" - -[/color]

Exactly my thinking & why I got the MiBass 220 - but I don't have a Mi10 cab to go with, yet ;)

Cheerz, John