Why become a member? ×

Waghorn Guitars RD Artist "Supreme" Bass Clone. "WILL BE FINISHED TODAY!"

Shockwave

[size=6][b]UPDATE at Post #16[/b][/size]

http://basschat.co.uk/topic/190250-waghorn-guitars-rd-artist-supreme-bass-clone/page__view__findpost__p__2214924

Hey guys.

I have come up with a build spec for my Waghorn guitars custom build. I was going to go 6 string, but got a deal with Lettsbass to make me one so here my wild idea!

What do you guys reckon?

Take this

But with the wood and finishing of one of these.

and put them together!

[b]Gibson RD Artist copy.[/b]
[b]34" scale to combat neck dive and give me more string choices.[/b]
[b]4 String. Right handed. Emphasis on better balance and more lightweight then the original. As such the body will be slightly slimmer then the original.[/b]
[b]Basically turn an RD Artist into a "Supreme".[/b]
[b]Neck thru, mahagony/maple 3 peice neck with black ebony like fingerboard.[/b]
[b]Maple body wings. Fancy maple bookmatched carved top prefer wide spaced grain.[/b]
[b]Darkish Two tone sunburst finish.[/b]
[b]Body, neck and headstock bound.[/b]
[b]Les paul Supreme a-like fingerboard inlays.[/b]
[b]Hardware will be gold throughout. Hipshot supertone bridge, Hipshot ultralight tuners (Big clover ear ones)[/b]
[b]Likely humbucker style pickups to be installed in the Wal MK1 bass pickup positions.[/b]
[b]ACG Filter based pre-amp. [/b]

So I am basically looking for a sound approaching that of a Wal. Yet with the RD aesthetic. Not sure whether to go with a pickguard or not. It will look good without one, but cant help but think it will just look like a fancy thunderbird rather then an RD!

What sort of humbuckers should I be looking for to best approximate the Wal sound? I know it wont be the same..

Edited by Shockwave

Wal pups are pretty unique and have a two coils per string if i remember correctly. I dont know of anyone else that uses/builds them.
SGD Lutherie was looking to build them at one point but i dont know if he ever got round to it.

[url="http://www.sgd-lutherie.com/pages/pickups.html"]http://www.sgd-lutherie.com[/url]

Edited by scojack

[quote name='scojack' timestamp='1351154274' post='1847889']
Wal pups are pretty unique and have a two coils per string if i remember correctly. I dont know of anyone else that uses/builds them.
SGD Lutherie was looking to build them at one point but i dont know if he ever got round to it.

[url="http://www.sgd-lutherie.com/pages/pickups.html"]http://www.sgd-lutherie.com[/url]
[/quote]#

I am aware of that. I already have pickups being made by SGD which have taken forever so at the moment I am just looking for an approximate sound until he gets that project off the ground. Wal pups are polyphonic, no one else really does that style of pickup for bass anymore.

[quote name='scojack' timestamp='1351154274' post='1847889']

[/quote]

I've been following SGD's thread on talkbass for those pickups, its a bickering mess, and really I don't think they'll be on the market anytime soon.
I've had a shot of the bass Alan is talking about, featuring the ACG Multicoil Pickup, and it sounded brilliant!
I know which pickups I would rather have :)

Really interesting sounding spec by the way.
I've always loved the look of the RD Artist, it doesn't rate very highly as far as playability is concerned when you're 5 foot 6 though...

Eude

[quote name='scojack' timestamp='1351156988' post='1847940']
Oohh thats interesting Alan...think you may be onto a winner there :)
[/quote]

I live in hope but they are taking a while to get of the ground and the price is a bit of a nose bleed moment.
Complicated and time consuming to build and they also need an interface board which John East is designing for me.

[quote name='LukeFRC' timestamp='1351159872' post='1847987']
you know the messy thread on TB where SGD... well hasn't made his pickups yet.... have a look, theres a fella in norway that makes them time to time- I saw him with one on ebay a month ago and it wasn't too expensive.
[/quote]

Any ideas who this guy in Norway is?

Otherwise can anyone give me ideas for traditional style pups that would get me an approximation of the sound?

[quote name='skelf' timestamp='1351159357' post='1847976']
I live in hope but they are taking a while to get of the ground and the price is a bit of a nose bleed moment.
Complicated and time consuming to build and they also need an interface board which John East is designing for me.
[/quote]

Yes i'd imagine they'd be quite fiddly to make but judging by the interest SGD generated with these there is hopefully a good demand, hope it goes well for you m8.

[quote name='skelf' timestamp='1351159357' post='1847976']
[/quote]
are they going to be (pricey) options for your basses or will you stick a silly price on them and see if folk buy them on their own?

(silly = higher profit margins for yourself, not a bad thing )

Edited by LukeFRC

Ok all of the specs have been confirmed. Decided to go Flat top after all.

[b]Gibson RD Artist copy.
34" scale, 19mm string spacing.
4 String. Right handed. Emphasis on better balance and more lightweight then the original.
Neck thru, mahagony/maple neck with black "ebony" like fingerboard.[/b]
[b]Maple body wings. Fancy dan flame maple bookmatched flat top[/b]
[b]Black/white/black scratchplate and clear scratchplate.[/b]
[b]Vintage brown burst, with extra brown dye sunburst finish to accentuate the flame, to give it almost 3D effect. Black headstock front. [/b]
[b]Body, neck and headstock bound.[/b]
[b]Brass nut. [/b]
[b]Les paul Supreme a-like fingerboard inlays. (Split block) [/b]
[b]Hardware will be gold throughout. Hipshot 3 point supertone bridge, Hipshot ultralight tuners with Drop D tuner on low E (Big clover ear ones with the larger hole size)[/b]
[b]SGD RD copy Humbucker style pickups to be installed in standard Gibson RD Artist positions. [/b]
[b]ACG Filter based pre-amp. [/b]

• 10 months later...

Some of the first photos coming through of the build! Click to enlarge. Gonna go carved top I think.

[attachment=144154:P1070239.JPG]

[attachment=144155:P1070245.JPG]

[attachment=144156:P1070249.JPG]

[attachment=144157:P1070259.JPG]

[attachment=144158:P1070264.JPG]

[attachment=144159:P1070268.JPG]

[attachment=144160:P1070270.JPG]

• 2 months later...

[quote name='Shockwave' timestamp='1384941990' post='2282481']
Plenty more work has been done and I will get photos soon. Looks like the pickups have finally shipped too!
[/quote] you finally got those pickups!? that's both a surprise and a result