Why become a member? ×

Thunderfunk GAS

Tankdave

Next amp on my GAS list is a Thunderfunk, idealy a TFB600B2.

At the moment I have a GB Shuttle 9.0 and a MB TTE500, both have thier good points and both are great amps, but I'm still looking for more. It's hard to pin down but better tone shaping flexibility would be one thing, this with my preferance to the Shuttles bottom end clarity led me to the Thunderfunk.

The bummer is these things have to be ordered direct from the states, so any comments on this would be welcome, even better the chance to hear one, although I'm sure that is a real long shot.

Thunderfunk amps make an amazing noise but most people, including me, seem to run them with the controls flat. I just tweak the Timbre to add a little more bass and the Enhance to add some top and leave the rest at 12 o'clock. The basic sound is full, powerful and clear as a bell and you don't need to do much with it to get a great tone.

If I couldn't get hold of a TF then I'd definitely be using an Eden WT800. They are in the general ballpark, have a ton of useful features and are a fantastic sounding amp.

[quote name='Tankdave' timestamp='1350974815' post='1845630']

At the moment I have a GB Shuttle 9.0 and a MB TTE500, both have thier good points and both are great amps, but I'm still looking for more.
[/quote]

interesting.... I'm considering MB TTE500 in search of tube amp tone. What is it that you think it is lacking?

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1350985950' post='1845786']
Thunderfunk amps make an amazing noise but most people, including me, seem to run them with the controls flat. I just tweak the Timbre to add a little more bass and the Enhance to add some top and leave the rest at 12 o'clock. The basic sound is full, powerful and clear as a bell and you don't need to do much with it to get a great tone.

[/quote]

Totally agree, If you can't get a good sound out of these amps... it isn't the amp, IMO.

I run with the enhance and timbre controls only and only go to them if the room is difficult. They are modelled on the SWR SM400 types which got the model from elsewhere..wont bother to go into the history, but to say that the common factor is the enhance or analyser or whatever they would to call it and a 4 band parametric graphic which has tremendous tone shaping capability. The early SWR amps had same and they were VERY capable but harder to EQ, IMO.. whereas with the TF, you don't need to touch it.

Not sure about all the amps on here but Eden were very worthy a few years ago but I'd be very surprised if the TF amps were not in another league all round.

Another TF user who only tweaks the 'Timbre' and 'Enhance' dials (though I once used the semi-parametric EQ to roll off everything below 40hz on a bad boomy stage). I've done A/B comparisons with a whole heap of amps (Tecamp, Tech Soundsystems, TE, PJ, Aguilar, GK, Mesa, TC, Warwick, MB... to name a few) and I'm still with the TF as it just delivers the goods every time!

Oh, I can get a good sound out of both, but I think I prefer SS out of the two. The Shuttle's bottom end is so good and deep, clear and punchy, it excells at it's deepness as opposed to the amount of bass, but I find the rest of the Shuttle's attributes a bit thin, maybe it's too clinical for me. The TTE500 on the other hand has that valve sound OK and one hell of a lot of bottom end, the valve compressor is brilliant too, it sounds very good but it's not quite the sound I'm prefering

I am considering the Shuttle Max, but it still might be a bit too clinical, so thinking of an alternative, "thats all"

Edited by Tankdave

• 1 month later...

after playing several big arse amps (Genz Benz 1200, Gallien 1001, Trace Elliot 600, different preamps with PA-slave-amp) I finally ended up with a Mesa Boogie 400+ and a Thunderfunk 750.

Both are too got to give them away.

The TF with two 2x12" SAD cabs (= 2 Ohm) generates the loudest, clearest, full bottomiest attack I ever experienced.

I was of the understanding that Markbass stole the thunder of Thunderfunk ( :blink:)with the LM11 by having a similar tone but lighter and cheaper. This, as I recall, was the feeling of those on TB at the time of the LM11's release.
Personally. I feel I can get all the tones I need from my TTE 500. I've discovered that the colour knob is subtle when playing alone but "thickens" the tone drastically when in a band mix. At it's lowest setting you get quick SS type attack (but not sterile character).By turning this knob you can get just the right sound for the type of music you're playing.

[quote name='Opticaleye' timestamp='1355081006' post='1893836']
I was of the understanding that Markbass stole the thunder of Thunderfunk ( :blink:)with the LM11 by having a similar tone but lighter and cheaper. This, as I recall, was the feeling of those on TB at the time of the LM11's release.
Personally. I feel I can get all the tones I need from my TTE 500. I've discovered that the colour knob is subtle when playing alone but "thickens" the tone drastically when in a band mix. At it's lowest setting you get quick SS type attack (but not sterile character).By turning this knob you can get just the right sound for the type of music you're playing.
[/quote]

I think any comparison between TF & MB over on TB will have between between a very small select group of bassists I'm not sure that the general populace of bassists would even have heard a TF in the flesh never mind having played one to make a comparison, so the stealing of thunder (sic) was probably just on that thread. :D

However, being a TF owner and having also owned a couple of MB amps (inc' an LM) I'd not have said the tone was comparable... certainly not in a band/gig situation. ;) You've hit the nail on the head with regards to the various 'other' tone controls on Dave Funk's amps, they probably do as much as any full range of tone controls on other amps.

[quote name='warwickhunt' timestamp='1355085850' post='1893913']
I think any comparison between TF & MB over on TB will have between between a very small select group of bassists I'm not sure that the general populace of bassists would even have heard a TF in the flesh never mind having played one to make a comparison, so the stealing of thunder (sic) was probably just on that thread. :D

However, being a TF owner and having also owned a couple of MB amps (inc' an LM) I'd not have said the tone was comparable... certainly not in a band/gig situation. ;) You've hit the nail on the head with regards to the various 'other' tone controls on Dave Funk's amps, they probably do as much as any full range of tone controls on other amps.
[/quote]

I've never tried a Thunderfunk, my comments were about the TTE.

I've just looked over on TB back to 2008 and the consensus on a number of threads was they are more similar than different.

If that's not true fair enough but I'd think that they have a wider experience of the TF (It was their flavour of the month before the LM11).

We're all a select bunch of bassists if we can be be bothered to offer our opinions on a forum ;) .

I wouldn't either...

I used a LMII today in a 12" combo...as it happens ..and left my TF in the car.
What a mistake that was...!!!

I was able to get the LM working ok after a while but the volume was low..and the LM works well there.
Where the TF will put considerable distance between a lot of other amps, IMO,,,, is when you push it harder.
The sound stays very focused but dynamic whereas the LM is flat and dry...and not to my liking at all.

Most of my experience with MB has been with their combos.... so maybe I should try a LM with anothers cabs..??

BTW... I know where there is a WT800 for sale...

Well, i'll be able to shead some light on the TF-Eden comparison because i have the TFB550-B and am waiting to recieve a WT-550 in the next couple of days.
I only have two gigs done on my TF and both going through a DB112, the tone is tremendous, lots of bottom and good clear highs that aren't harsh but i do miss the mid clarity of my Barefaced so i'll be looking in to getting another cab from Alex capable of delivering the kind of bottom i'm experiencing from the DB but with the definition of the Midget.

As for Markbass i think there's no possible comparison, MB amps are fine but like any other light weight amp you can hear the compression working and that takes the b*lls from your sound, the TF is just like JTUK described, if you turn up the volume it keeps all the dynamics with a very clear sound.