Why become a member? ×

Suitable vehicles for PA gear

Truckstop

How longs a piece of string? how big is your rig? a better option that a friend of mine uses is a toyota camry which is a 7 seater where 5 of the seats come completely out of the car which then leaves you a space comparable to the size of a transit but with the option of adding seats back in to carry band members/ groupies/ wives and children if you need it

maybe a Midi sized Van, something like a modern version of the old Mitsubishi L300 that we used to carry our Disco around in. They aren't huge, having a similar footprint to an estate car, so it's easy to get around in and park, but they carry a lot. But with only two seats in the front it wasn't very versatile. Something like a Bongo would be good, again not a massive footprint but carries a lot and it has seats that can be taken in and out so it can hold up to 8 people, or 5 people and a bit of gear or 2 people and a lot of gear.

Ah yes:

No other members
2 bins, 2 tops, 4 small wedges
1x12 bass cab
Line6 1x12 guitar combo
10 unit gator rack
2x KAM LED 4 spot rigs with stands
2x guitar cases (spare instruments)
5 piece drum kit with hardware case
Floor Tom case full of leads
Couple of suit bags full of stage clothes

I think that's it. Not a particularly big set-up!

Cheers

Alex

One of these. Fit side windows and install one or two rows of seats behind the driver. Add a bulkhead after the seats and put all the gear in the back and away you go. Ours seats 9 plus the driver, that's me. All arrive at the same time so all have to carry the gear.

http://www.whatvan.co.uk/Hi-Res-Pics/Sprinter-311-06-RT1hr.jpg

[quote name='xgsjx' timestamp='1350941247' post='1845478']
In all seriousness, I used to get a similarish size setup in a Fiat Scudo (only choose something better).
[/quote]

Ah useful! My dad reckons he can get me a Scudo in good nick for not much money (he has connections!) so was hoping someone would say!

Any reason why you advise not to get one?

Was also looking at minibuses because I can leave seats in just in case we all need to bugger off somewhere far away! Any thoughts on that anyone?

Cheers for everyone's help so far!

[quote name='Truckstop' timestamp='1350947142' post='1845569']
Ah useful! My dad reckons he can get me a Scudo in good nick for not much money (he has connections!) so was hoping someone would say!

Any reason why you advise not to get one?

Was also looking at minibuses because I can leave seats in just in case we all need to bugger off somewhere far away! Any thoughts on that anyone?

Cheers for everyone's help so far!
[/quote]

The Church had one & there was always something failing in it. The heater never worked in the winter time & then you couldn't turn it off in the summer! :blink:
Mind you, it was an 02 plate, so it was @ 8-9 years old. I believe it was a rebadged Puggy (could be wrong).

If the one your dad has seen is the newer model, then it's probably worth a look. There's a few vans of that sort of size.
I'd measure in the back of one & then go back & stack all your gear to see if it'll fit in the measured space. Take measurements off all your stacked gear & then when you're looking, you can measure the back & see if you can squeeze the band members in too. :)

Our drummer has a Transit Connect - he fits in all his drum kit, our light rig, and all our PA (including 3 monitors) [i]except[/i] our massive pair of 2x15 subs which our lead guitarist brings. I thinks it's a great van and very easy to load in or out with the back doors which lock out, and the sliding side door.

Edited by Adrenochrome

I have a long base high roof Transit decked out with seven seats and a mid bulkhead which can take anything you throw at it. If you don't need to carry band members though, its probably overkill.

One option that hasn't come up is a box trailer. A band I used to do sound for would take two cars - the drummer with his kit in one, the bassist, guitarist, me in another with guitars, heads and small bits, and towing a box trailer with subs, tops, mixer, outboard and a pair of 4x12 cabs, plus all the other miscellaneous nonsense you need on a gig.

That way, you've got one vehicle that will do for day-to-day use, and you just hitch the rest on as and when you nerd it!

Edited by mike257

How do they feel about rear-view mirrors in France Jacques?

;)

My band uses Elvis, a Fiat Ulysse (Peugeot 806) with three/four of the seven seats removed depending on load.

[IMG]http://i1128.photobucket.com/albums/m496/h4ppyjack/Equipment%20and%20stuff%20CURRENT/CIMG1299.jpg[/IMG]

For a typical gig, Elvis will be carrying:[list]
[*]Bassist
[*]Drummer
[*]Guitarist
[*]Bass amp (small)
[*]1/2 Barefaced cabs
[*]2 x basses
[*]5-piece drum kit
[*]Guitar combo (small)
[*]2 x guitars
[*]6U Gator with PA inside
[*]2 x 1x12 tops, plus poles
[*]PAR cans for mounting on poles
[*]1 x 1x12 wedge monitor
[*]3/4 mic stands
[*]2 x cable bags
[/list]
I bought Elvis as an insurance write-off, due to essentially cosmetic damage. I don't see much need for a band-wagon to be all new and shiny, in fact the more cosmetically challenged the better. Keep an eye on eBay - you might be surprised.

I reckon it's sometimes worth having something without back windows or it's blindingly obvious a vehicle's full of valuable kit. But perhaps a van's even more of a target, the lure of the unknown? We've had a Vauxhall Combo before and that seemed decent enough, really good fuel economy too.

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1350984737' post='1845763']
How do they feel about rear-view mirrors in France Jacques?[/quote]

Well, I've never driven in France loaded up with band gear, but I have been loaded up with camping equipment to the roof before without being stopped. Perhaps if I was driving erratically they'd pull me over, but the [i]flics[/i] seem pretty pragmatic most of the time.

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1350984737' post='1845763']
How do they feel about rear-view mirrors in France Jacques?

;)

[/quote]

If it's anything like over here, as long as your wing mirrors are unobstructed you don't need to be able to see out of the rear view (as of course most vans are).

I've got one of these:

Fits four band members plus full kit comfortably (with the option of two more passengers if you fold the rear seats back down again), blacked-out rear windows as standard, insured as a car rather than as a van which (for me) worked out considerably cheaper. Downsides are that they're heavy on juice (think 10miles/litre tops, but for an old 2.8 diesel it could be worse) and are comparatively rare so parts might be hard to come by (although as I understand they share a lot of bits with the Mitzi Pajero which are a lot more common).

Our Sax player used to carry all our PA ( HK audio- 2x bass bins 4 x tops ) in his renault scenic plus keyboards and his own gear. Until the axle went...

Miles better to get he band to share in taking pa etc otherwise its going to be expensive, Try getting insurance for travelling musicians- good luck!!

I now carry most of the gear in an L200 Warrior. Very practical motor. I think the key is to buy the best lightweight pa gear you can find.

[quote name='Ian Savage' timestamp='1350997829' post='1845990']
If it's anything like over here, as long as your wing mirrors are unobstructed you don't need to be able to see out of the rear view (as of course most vans are).

I've got one of these:

Fits four band members plus full kit comfortably (with the option of two more passengers if you fold the rear seats back down again), blacked-out rear windows as standard, insured as a car rather than as a van which (for me) worked out considerably cheaper. Downsides are that they're heavy on juice (think 10miles/litre tops, but for an old 2.8 diesel it could be worse) and are comparatively rare so parts might be hard to come by (although as I understand they share a lot of bits with the Mitzi Pajero which are a lot more common).
[/quote]

That's 45mpg, which isn't too bad for a 2.8!

[quote name='Ian Savage' timestamp='1350997829' post='1845990']

I've got one of these:

[/quote]

i used to do my moving in a ford ranger pick up truck with a covered bed, i could fit a whole kit, combo amps, guitars and breakables in it without hassle.

it had an obstructed rear view mirror, but the side mirrors were huge

now i put all my gear in a vectra

[attachment=122227:van1.JPG]This is our gig mobile.... LWB medium roof Tranny. Our gear is heavy duty, no plastic cabs etc.......
Seats 3 up front and can accomodate all the following;

2 x 2 15 subs, 2 x 2 15 horn tops, 2 x 12 horn cabs
2 x 4 10 bass cabs, 2 x 4 12 guitar cabs
2 x marshall amps, 1 x 8u bass rig case
6 x guitar cases
1 x 16ch mixer cased
1 x 8u amp rack
2 x 2.5m lighting truss
4 x winch lighting stands
16 x par cans
2 x t bars
5 x misc boxes
4 x personal baggage
4 x suit carriers
1 x premier resonator drumkit plus all associated cases

It's a real workhorse & for us we couldn't really do with anything smaller!