Why become a member? ×

My life story. In basses. With pictures.

wateroftyne

Hi all

I'm feeling reflective, so... here's what I've had (as far as I can remember).

The story begins in about 1988, before cameras were invented:

My fist bass was a [b]Kay P copy[/b], which I sprayed with metallic grey car paint. It came off on my clothes. My mam sold it when I wasn't looking.

Next up... a [b]black pointy-headstocked Epiphone something-or-other[/b]. I pulled the frets out and ruined it (I was listening to Graceland a lot).

Then came along a black [i]Japanese J copy[/i] with a Fender logo on the headstock. I really liked it but it was heavy.

Around this time, I discovered Rush and obsessed over Geddy's black Wal. I (obviously) couldn't afford one, so I bought a black [b]Hohner Jack headless bass [/b]instead. It kinda looked like the Wal. Kinda. Well.. it was black. It sounded bollocks though, and the bridge screws kept stripping. Rubbish.

Suddenly... joy of joys! I found out I was going to be working for a year as part of a work experience thing. I decided to blow the lot on a Wal just like Geddy's. Thankfully, I failed my exams so that plan never came to fruition.

To numb the pain, I bought a Black'n'Gold[b] Fender Precision Lyte[/b]. Didn't like it. It sounded thin. I also, somehow, ended up with a 1972 [b]Rickenbacker 4003[/b] with chequered binding. It actually HURT to play. Sold it...

I got my first posh bass. A 4-string [b]Overwater Progress[/b], in translucent blue. I got it for a great price direct from Chris May. It had a 2+2 headstock just like Geddy's Wal. It sounded nowt like it, though. I didn't like it at all... it sounded thin. So, in one of my first 'classic mistakes', I swapped it for a Jim Cairnes Music Man replica (that was advertised on here recently, as it 'appens.). No offence to Jim, but it just wan't my thing. I sold it.

Around this time, I decided to go retro-ish (I think Geddy noticed and followed soon after) and bought a [b]Sunburst MIM Jazz[/b]. It was OK... I did lots of upgrades and had the horrible white neck & headstock aged. It never really sang to me, though.

Anyway, around this time, cameras were invented. I also happened on an ad in the local rag for a [b]'78 Antigua Jazz[/b]. It was totally cool, so I bought it:

(It turns out the seller was BC's very own Marcus. I didn't realise this until many years later.)

This bass was fab. I did many, many gigs with it and it accompanied me on two US tours. With the benefit of hindsight, I should have left it safely at home.

Around this time (2000-ish?) I got severe GAS and things get very blurry.

I got a [b]MIJ '62RI Jazz [/b]for a great price:

...which was OK but dull. So I sold it.

Then I got a [b]1972 Telecaster II [/b]bass from a shop in Seattle:

Acoustically, the best sounding & feeling bass I've ever played. That humbucker can only be heard by earthworms, though. I sold it to him out of It Bites. Had then been now I would have stuck a Dark Star in it. Ah, well.

Around this time, I traded my Antigua J for a [b]1971 Fretless Precision [/b]from an Italian friend of mine:

I love this bass. It's still with me, and it ain't going anywhere.

Next up was [b]MIJ Sting [/b]from eBay:

Which I just didn't get on with it (but probably would now!).

Sold, and replaced with a [b]1981 Walnut Precision Special [/b]from a shop in Germany:

This is a great, great bass. I used it a lot. One of the best E strings I've ever heard. Weighed a bloody ton, though. I hung onto it for a long time.

In parallel to all this, I bought a [b]MIJ 1975RI Jazz[/b].. I have no idea where from:

...I didn't get on with it. Dull as dishwater.

Then.. a [b]MIJ Duck Dunn signature P[/b]:

This was one of the best basses I've ever had. It weighed nothing. Really. Resonant, punchy... and I sold it because I didn't like the colour. IDIOT. One of my big regrets.

However, it well and truly gave me an appetite for Precisions... '57 styleees in particular.

First was an [b]MIA American Vintage '57 RI in Inca Silver[/b], bought on eBay from the US. Rare as hen's teeth. Sold it... I can't remember why or where it went. I'd like it back. If only to take a photo of it to prove it existed.

Next.. a[b] 2-tone burst American Vintage '57RI[/b]:

I haven't got a clue where I got this one from, either. I didn't get on with it (I was missing my Duck Dunn by now), so... off it went.

At this time, marriage beckoned and my lovely wife said I could have a bass instead of a ring. She's a good'un.

Here is my wedding ring - a [b]1983 Walnut Elite II [/b]purchased from Trutone in Santa Monica:

It was a blingin' work of art, but weighed a ton. I sold it to a bloke in Texas (much to Mrs. WoT's horror - quite right, too).

I sold my Walnut Precision Special around now too, to a friend of mine. The lucky so-and-so.

Continued...

Edited by wateroftyne

..continued:

These last two sales were inspired by the purchase of this STUNNA from a bloke in Indianapolis:

It's a [b]1971 Precision[/b]. I hit totally lucky with this, as I was still naiive in the ways of eBay. I got it for a great price, and it's immaculate. Another keeoer.

Next up, I got the Jazz bug again, and I bought this [b]'74 Jazz[/b] from a chap doon the road in Darlington:

This was a wonderful, wonderful bass, but... I'm a P guy. I forgot that minor detail. I sold it recently to a vary happy local chap.

I needed a backup fretted P (of course!) so I picked this [b]'72 Precision[/b] up for a steal from the 'Bay:

The pickup was totalled when I got it, so I dropped an overwound Wizard in there and now... it's a growly monster, on a par with my two 71s. I love these early 70s necks.

I thought I needed a fretless with a J pickup in it, so I bought this [b]Fretless Tony Franklin signature P[/b]:

I didn't need a J pickup at all. I just had bad GAS. Fab bass, though... if I needed a fretless tomorrow, I'd buy one of these bad boys in an instant.

Err... that's it. I'm left with the three Precisions. I think that's it.

For a while. :)

I have a feeling that you & Beedster are planning to buy the whole early output of Fender Precisions between you!

Seriously though, your P's are seriously nice. I think it's after seeing them so often on here that I want a new American Standard in the same colour scheme!

Excellent collection, mate. What's next on the list?

Rich.

Yep, always got alot of inspiration from your collection and exploits. Good work sir. Is it the original pickup in the fretted 71? or did you bung a thumper in there? Ive got a 75 P and Im toying with the idea of giving wizard a go.

Fantastic post mate and a really good retrospective on letting basses go but living to regret it at a later stage (one I can certainly relate to).

I can't believe you sold your "wedding ring". :)

My wife and Mum bought me a Stingray between them a few years ago and I know that if I ever moved it on, neither of them would speak to me for months......hmmmm, tempting.......

Cheers, all!

[quote name='OutToPlayJazz' post='194268' date='May 7 2008, 10:58 PM']Excellent collection, mate. What's next on the list?[/quote]

Nowt. I'm done. Oh.. hang on. I have a new amp on the way. When that wear off.. probably a different cab. And then.. who knows! :)

[quote name='stinson' post='194466' date='May 8 2008, 09:59 AM']Is it the original pickup in the fretted 71? or did you bung a thumper in there? Ive got a 75 P and Im toying with the idea of giving wizard a go.[/quote]

The Rosewood P has the original pup in it, albeit rewound to vintage specs. It's very warm and round.

The Maple P has a Thumper in it.. it's still vintage P, but it's far hotter and growlier.