Why become a member? ×

Depping jitters

KevB

Not been in a regularly gigging band since January, became very lacksadasical about practice etc etc. Phone call out of the blue yesterday for a dep gig next Friday, full 2 sets of covers, many of which I won't know and most of the ones I do will be in alternative keys. Unlikely to actually get a set list in advance though I have jammed with the act before (only a 3 piece band). Oh and the guy I'm depping for is a well respected pro who used to frequent this very forum. Naturally I said yes, like a dick... :rolleyes:

Try to get at least an idea of what you will be playing from the guy that is booking you as its not a very nice situation tobe asked to do a gig but not what you're going to be playing and put it onto MP3 or CD for the car and just keep listening to them constantly. Different story with weddings as most bands tend to do a lot of similar songs

I did a dep gig 250 miles away with a band I'd never met before with 30 songs I'd never done before with 2 days notice a few weeks ago - sometimes the pressure can help you learn quicker as long as you take your time and don't panic.

They're not going to expect someone who can play the songs note perfect, the audience won't notice if you don't play it exactly like the record anyway. Just learn the basic notes first.

Edited by Delberthot

They don't seem to be helping if they can't get a set or CD to you....that sounds odd to me..!!!!

We are a tough act on deps so I try and give them every chance..and get a LIVE CD to them asap.
They are expected to do the homework and if we are lucky, we will just about recover the ground and be decent enough.
No matter how talented they are, they aren't going to do everything right, but the idea is to get above the bar of just playing the song.
If you end up better than the original guy, then that is as good as you can probably hope for.

It helps if you have done a few of these things recently so you have the confidence that you KNOW you can cover it..but the one thing you can control is to be upto scratch playngwise..!!! get some practice is..and LOTS of it between now and the gig

Just do your homework, and your ears will do the rest if there is no charts.

Half my musical life has been depping - you would be amazed at what you walk into sometimes.
Many a time i have known the tunes better than the band [well at least the correct chord changes] :lol:

Don't worry, don't panic and just enjoy yourself.
Good luck.

Garry

Cheers guys. As I said it isn't a total unknown as I've done jam sessions with them before (in fact I'm covering for same bass player with same band as the house band at an open mic 2 days after the gig, shame it wasn't 2 days BEFORE ;) ). He's just a very good singer/guitarist and has been at it so long he gets very laid back and 'you'll be alright'. We may get 1 quick jam together a couple of days before the gig but I'm not expecting to see any formal set list, the guy is a walking jukebox. I think if I can scribble down the alternate keys compared with the originals for half of them that'll be as good as it gets. I've pretty much cancelled my other usual weekday evening activities to get some practice in, relearned a few that I recall jamming with them before last night.

[quote name='Delberthot' timestamp='1350564487' post='1840550']
Try to get at least an idea of what you will be playing from the guy that is booking you as its not a very nice situation tobe asked to do a gig but not what you're going to be playing and put it onto MP3 or CD for the car and just keep listening to them constantly. Different story with weddings as most bands tend to do a lot of similar songs

I did a dep gig 250 miles away with a band I'd never met before with 30 songs I'd never done before with 2 days notice a few weeks ago - sometimes the pressure can help you learn quicker as long as you take your time and don't panic.

They're not going to expect someone who can play the songs note perfect, the audience won't notice if you don't play it exactly like the record anyway. Just learn the basic notes first.
[/quote]
Exactly this!! This is what makes it worth while, because when it goes right it's really satisfying, and thats the basis on which we do these jobs isn't it? It is for me.
As Delberthot says, have the tracks on loop if you can and just familiarise your self with the songs themselves.
Before I joined the current function band I'm in, I got a phone call form the singer who said they needed a bass player blah blah blah, he gave me the set through email and I glanced over it, didn't pay much attention really. I went on holiday and had to learn 30 songs in a day and a half before 1 rehearsal and then 3 months of gigs. It was fine, make charts for your self (in big writing, don't make the mistake I did!), and just play the basic notes if you're not too confident. It'll be fine!

Do it, enjoy yourself.

Dan

They're not telling you the set before hand?

Your ESP is better than mine!

I would question why they want to gig with a bass player who doesn't know the set. They should give you the chance to do a good job.

We have a dep drummer for Monday and he's had the set for 2 months!

Well as I said we're not total strangers so I just have to go back through my ipod and recall all the songs I've ever played with them when I've jammed at open mic's with them. If they had a limited repertoire it would take the guesswork out but they know dozens and dozens of songs so I'm hoping they can at least narrow it down a bit. I'm going to try and force it by volunteering to do a few songs singing lead that they have backed me on at the same jam sessions then at least I can get through a few I'm more comfortable with. I'll feel happier when I've 'woodshedded' a bit this weekend, never seems to be quite long enough in weekday evenings to get a really good practice in.

Im worried now,had a phone call Tuesday to do a gig saturday, (they only ask me when no one else can do it,also found out that the venue is paying a reduced rate is this why.) still no set list,and I know they play stuff in odd keys. Sent texts and emails,still no contact. but as soon as I see the set I know that all will be ok. :ph34r: :lol:

[quote name='lowdown' timestamp='1350566405' post='1840584']
Just do your homework, and your ears will do the rest if there is no charts.

Half my musical life has been depping - you would be amazed at what you walk into sometimes.
Many a time i have known the tunes better than the band [well at least the correct chord changes] :lol:

Don't worry, don't panic and just enjoy yourself.
Good luck.

Garry
[/quote]

Isn't that the truth !
How many gigs have you depped where you end up keeping them right because they have only ever jammed tunes .

[quote name='merlin' timestamp='1350809594' post='1843598']
report..did the gig last night,had a really great time. I got the set list yesterday at 11am they were all old nos,rock standards..easy..yes the venue had reduced its pay rate but honoured the gig so alls ok. :D
[/quote]

Well done mate .

No such luck here unfortunately. After some badgering I finally got a 'set list' last night. Except it is not really a set list but a list of around 40 songs which the actual 2 x 45 min sets will be chosen from, presumably at randome on the night. At least I got some notice which ones were in altered keys. Fortunately I know some of them so it might just be feasible in the 2 remaining evenings to knock a few into shape before the gig on Friday. It will be rather less than polished though!

I did a dep gig a few weeks ago with a local band. I didn't get a set list beforehand but when I was handed it before we went on I said I knew about 25 of the 40 odd songs they played and if they stuck to those songs we should be allright. Just as we were about to start the guitarist turned to me and said 'do you know any Neil Diamond?' I said 'nope'. He then turned to the mic and announced 'This is a song by Neil Diamond' counted the drummer in and away we went.......duh! The smart thing to do is, if your depping bass player knows 25 of your songs,.........stick to those bleedin songs. But obviously they thought that was too simple and continued to throw stuff at me I'd never heard of.
The guitarist kept on asking me to turn up but what he didn't know is, that when I'm playing a song I'm clueless about, I just turn my volume to zero and jump about with a smile on my face. I feel it's better to pretend I'm just ultra low in the mix than pepper the tunes with bum bass notes.
So good luck and remember 'when in doubt...........play nought.

Edited by gjones

Unfortunately this is a trio, 1 guitar/vox, drums and me on bass/b vox - don't think 'doing nowt' is really an option. I'll certainly try to steer him toward the ones I've played before though. Slightly puzzling in that I've played with the guy at jam sessions before recently and none of the songs I've done with him are on the list even though they would fit in with the ones he has suggested absolutely fine. I'll get through it but as you say sometimes they just don't make it easy - surely the whole point is to make the whole package sound as good as it can under the circumstances, not some bizarre 'trial by fire' initiation ceremony?