Why become a member? ×

Ashdown abm 500 vs ampeg svt - 3pro

LukeJackson

[quote name='charic' timestamp='1350110618' post='1834605']
It's worth changing the head for something that's right for you. If you like the ampeg go for it, but I wouldn't buy blind.
[/quote]

+1

Get yourself to a decent bass shoppe. I'm sure there's a few near London. Bass Gallery has a good selection of things (now called The Gallery - Bass Merchant).

Do you know what tone you are looking for? Any examples from bands or particular songs or styles?

Try as many different brands as you can - GAK do have Ampeg for demo, as well as Markbass and some others I cannot remember - and I believe they became an Ashdown dealer not that long ago. If they have the ABM there, try it against some others. Ask the bass chap whether he can help with obtaining a particular tone or sound from the ABM as well as the others. You may end up finding it with the ABM after all.

Good luck, and let us know how you get on. I may be in GAK later on so if I see or hear someone trying out various heads, I will know its you! :)

Geoff

Edited by RandomBass

Just a thought, the head isn't the only thing controlling your sound. The bass and the speakers will have more effect than the amp. Have you tried the ABM with other speakers, if not it might be worth taking it into the shop with you and trying a range of speakers with your amp, if you are thinking of spending Ampeg money they should be pretty helpful.

Good luck in your search.

I recently got a new bass which I couldn't ask for a better sound, I have used a variety of cabs since I can't take mine to every gig
Orange 810 and 410 with a 115 (hated both not my thing) ashdown abm cab, ampeg etc
However my friend has a svt 3pro which was used with my 810 and I was loving the sound completely

I have an SVT3pro in the F/S section. USA model, excellent condition with 3 new valves, fully serviced and re biased 3 gigs ago.
Been fancying an ABM Head so shoot me a pm if you're interested in a trade of sorts.
B)

[quote name='LukeJackson' timestamp='1350113162' post='1834632']
where is that?
im heading to GAK today i'll see if they have one there, i've used ampeg before but the svt 3pro has more EQ options with the graphic EQ, either way i'll be using a sansamp BDDI through a 8X10 cab
[/quote]

GAK are ok..check what is in stock before you go with a phone call.. but this applies to any bass shopping trip, IMO...and not a dig at GAK, who I like..
Don't be confused that the Ampeg SVT3 has EQ options... :lol: it may not be a bad amp and it may suit you down to the ground, but the graphic is pretty useless.
The mid bias switch does the work, IMO, but a range of tonal abilities is not what you buy Ampeg for tho...IMO