Why become a member? ×

Aguilar DB Cabs

PauBass

[color=#000000][font=verdana, geneva, lucida,]At the moment I'm using a Bergantino NV412 with my Aguilar DB750, the tone is unbelievable and the power and note weight is immense but I like the idea of making the rig a bit more portable.[/font][/color]
[color=#000000][font=verdana, geneva, lucida,]I have been thinking about swapping my cab for a pair of Aguilar DB cabs but I'm still trynig to decide which cab combination, so I can take one or two cabs depending on the gig.[/font][/color]

[color=#000000][font=verdana, geneva, lucida,]I can't try any Aguilar cab so I wanted to know if the sound of these cabs are in any similar to Bergantinos NV[/font][/color]

[color=#000000][font=verdana, geneva, lucida,]What will I loose or win if I decided to go for it[/font][/color]

[color=#000000][font=verdana, geneva, lucida,]What cab combination would you recommend? I need pleanty of power, we are a very loud band :rolleyes:[/font][/color]

[color=#000000][font=verdana, geneva, lucida,]I'd really appreciate your advice. Thanks![/font][/color]

[quote name='crez5150' timestamp='1349787372' post='1830498']
I use 1 x DB112 and 1xDB112NT with a GK MB500 head and find it more than adequate for most gigs. Unless you are going out without PA support I wouldn't want anything more
[/quote]

Ditto, same cabs but with 550w Thunderfunk and I have played in various loud bands (sans PA) and the DB12s have been more than adequate for large pub/medium club gigs. I 'suppose' if it were a monstrously loud band with wailing full Marshall stacks and a drummer going through the PA when the bass wasn't, then I might say the 2x12 doubled up or a pair of 4x10 but you'd be fair going it some to need these!

[quote name='PauBass' timestamp='1349798573' post='1830693']
Thanks for your input guys.

I have the feeling that 2 DB112 is not going to be enough coming from a 700 Watt Bergantino cab?

[/quote]

Don't kid yourself! I went from a 2100 watt Tech Soundsystems 6x10 to the pair of 1x12DB cabs and I didn't look back. There is nothing that the Neo 6x10 cab could do that these DBs couldn't do!

[quote name='PauBass' timestamp='1349798573' post='1830693']
Thanks for your input guys.

I have the feeling that 2 DB112 is not going to be enough coming from a 700 Watt Bergantino cab?

So you all seem to prefer 12" over 10" speakers?
[/quote]

I would expect that as well... altho I'm running 2xAE112's and they are second best to the 2x210's I use as my number 1 rig, IMO.
It would be nice if Aguilar did a DB610,

If you are pushing out the volume from a NV412 and on large-ish stages in a 1000 seater, that is where you need the bigger rig.
I doubt my 2x210's would do it without very decent monitoring and maybe fills, with a 550w amp. ..and I am not sure I would be wanting to hook
up less cab power into a DB750 that might have to ramp it up a bit.

IIRC, a DB750 runs 750 into 4..?? so I'd want 1000watts of cab to be stress-free..but maybe that is just me..?

I think chris_b runs a 750 watt amp into his Bergs...and he gets more input into his signal than I would...
maybe he can say whether he thinks his 2x112's are up to it..He may even run 3x112 for loud gigs..??

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1349812291' post='1830966']
If you are pushing out the volume from a NV412 and on large-ish stages in a 1000 seater, that is where you need the bigger rig.
I doubt my 2x210's would do it without very decent monitoring and maybe fills, with a 550w amp. ..and I am not sure I would be wanting to hook
up less cab power into a DB750 that might have to ramp it up a bit.
[/quote]

I'd agree though I'd say that if you were playing 1000+ seater venues then your cabs are purely monitors and the size of the cab is possibly less relevant (unless the band have TOTAL disregard for on-stage sound); as you say at that kind of gig you'd be expecting decent monitoring/side-fills.

:lol: which gets us into sealed cabs with a bass roll-off so you flood the stage less...?? which is a nice little slant on things.

If it were me, turning up at the venue without knowing the stage-rig/monitor situation, then I'd look after my angle and have the bigger rig
and also control it, ie turn down, if need be.
If the same rig/engr travelled around with us and I had to move some of my own stuff, then maybe smaller.

We are a loud band and despite 4 mon mixes and a monitor engr, I still sometimes get left to my own devices if time is running away..and that is where
I need the minimum of 2x210's

I am thinking I'd indulge myself in a DB750 and 610 of some sort... for handful of gigs per year.... but then I come to my senses, but it is still GAS

Peacehaven is about 50 miles from me.... maybe we can hook up and try and the DB's amps and cabs ...

I have 2 cab configs that I would I love to run a DB750 thru....???

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1349815435' post='1831012']
:lol: which gets us into sealed cabs with a bass roll-off so you flood the stage less...?? which is a nice little slant on things.

If it were me, turning up at the venue without knowing the stage-rig/monitor situation, then I'd look after my angle and have the bigger rig
and also control it, ie turn down, if need be.
If the same rig/engr travelled around with us and I had to move some of my own stuff, then maybe smaller.

We are a loud band and despite 4 mon mixes and a monitor engr, I still sometimes get left to my own devices if time is running away..and that is where
I need the minimum of 2x210's

I am thinking I'd indulge myself in a DB750 and 610 of some sort... for handful of gigs per year.... but then I come to my senses, but it is still GAS

Peacehaven is about 50 miles from me.... maybe we can hook up and try and the DB's amps and cabs ...

[/quote]

i used to used pau's db750 with my old 610hlf and the volume it would put out was silly! 750w through a 412 the volume would be silly! so i can see why the 2x112's might be not enough if he was used to that!

andy

[quote name='scalpy' timestamp='1349800832' post='1830730']
The 12s have only run out of juice once for me, at a big (by my standards) 1000+ venue. I know Higgie says the 212s have a lot more bottom, and if I was running a DB750 those would be the ones I'd go for. In tweed, of course.
[/quote]

My amp is a DB750 and I also think I might go with 212s, perhaps one now and, maybe if needed, a second one later? :)

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1349812342' post='1830969']
NV412 has to be closer to 1200w rated..???
[/quote]

It's rated at 800 watts rms

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1349815435' post='1831012']

....I am thinking I'd indulge myself in a DB750 and 610 of some sort... for handful of gigs per year.... but then I come to my senses, but it is still GAS

[/quote]

That was my rig, DB750 into a NV610, sold it and I now run it into the NV412

We can defnitely talk about it and see if we can meet up!

[quote name='0175westwood29' timestamp='1349815967' post='1831019']
i used to used pau's db750 with my old 610hlf and the volume it would put out was silly! 750w through a 412 the volume would be silly! so i can see why the 2x112's might be not enough if he was used to that!

andy
[/quote]

That's exactly my point!

[quote name='Musicman20' timestamp='1349821371' post='1831117']
I kinda wish I still had my two DB212s...I sold those to Higgie to get the 4 ohm single DB212.

I'd quite like another pair haha.
[/quote]

I'd love two DB 212 at 4 ohm but that might be a bit too much?

What about a 210 + a 115?

A 210 and 115 was in my thinking but the DB115 is a BIG lump and it wouldn't fit into my car very easily at all...
so I went for 2x210 which sound GREAT to me and I am very pleased I made this decision.

I don't think I have lost anything at all by going this way... and altho I tried the 210 and 115 config with SWR (sold it due to the size of the 115) ..and it was a great rig, IMO,
The DB cabs are better.

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1349859343' post='1831300']
A 210 and 115 was in my thinking but the DB115 is a BIG lump and it wouldn't fit into my car very easily at all...
so I went for 2x210 which sound GREAT to me and I am very pleased I made this decision.

I don't think I have lost anything at all by going this way... and altho I tried the 210 and 115 config with SWR (sold it due to the size of the 115) ..and it was a great rig, IMO,
The DB cabs are better.
[/quote]
How do you find two 210 work? What's the total wattage with both cabs?

[quote name='Higgie' timestamp='1349890499' post='1831897']
I might be looking to move on my DB212's, and was probably gonna let one go first, so if you're interested, PM me ;)
[/quote]

Thanks Higgie. What are you replacing them with?

[quote name='PauBass' timestamp='1349936873' post='1832351']
How do you find two 210 work? What's the total wattage with both cabs?

[/quote]

700w between the pr and I run with a 550w amp. The sound is great..and as I said, is far better -for me- than the 2 Berg 112's I also use
but the DB's relegate these to a B rig.
Tight low B which fills the rooms but never boomy or bass heavy..it is just FULL.
The cabs have nice highs and a mid presence..which I think is the DB cab bias, and I have no hankering for a 115 at all.

The only cab I would think I would replace them with MIGHT be a Berg NV610 but that has no tweeter.
In fact, I wouldn't get rid of the DB's..I would add the NV610 to my choice of rigs depending on the stage and gig, but that also depends on whether the Berg has the higher end that I think I'd want. But at £800 for a cab SH, which I would use, maybe 5-6 times a year at my current gig level..?? maybe GAS is ruling my head.

If Aguilar did a DB610 with a horn I would probably be all over it.... more so that the Berg...but that is based on hearing Berg NEO 12's not the NV/HD version.

I have my amp in for service so maybe I'll check with you later about meeting up to demo these configs if you still have them.. unless you have a decent room to run them in.
Might need to get to Horsham soon-ish..

About 6 years ago I owned 2 GS112 cabs and I thought they sounded great. In spite of that I moved to Bergantino cabs because they were lighter, had a tighter bass tone and Mark was running a special offer!

I love my AE210's (very clear and punchy) but don't play them enough, instead I usually gig with 1, 2 or 3 AE112 cabs. They still sound fantastic but only weigh 30lbs each. I’m afraid with my back that has become the deciding factor.

Many of the players I rate seem to be using Aguilar so if someone else was humping the gear I would certainly check out their DB210 cabs. But then again If I could lift an NV412 I'd probably keep that.

Get a trolley!

Edited by chris_b

I've just reread the OP and how loud is [i]very loud[/i]?

You don’t have many Aguilar alternatives. A DB410 is only 10lb lighter than the NV412 so there's no point in changing to one of those. A DB212 weighs 70lbs but that's only half the air that you’re used to moving. If you like the “power” of your current rig you’ll probably find you’ll need 2.

2 DB210 cabs won't be as loud and 112's just won't keep up, so how loud do you need to be?

Also good used Aguilar cabs don't come up very often, so if you're looking at new, 2 DB212's would cost rather a lot.