Why become a member? ×

Lack Of Roadworns!

spongebob

A year or so ago, you couldn't move for Roadworns.

Everywhere had them...shops, Ebay....but now nowhere seems to have them at the moment.

There's the odd one around, but I've been looking for a Red Jazz for a bit, really hard to find. Even the places that don't have them list the price at nearly £1100!!! All the regular stockists are out, and have been for a while.

They're listed on the Fender site, so seemingly haven't been discontinued.

That's why I'm looking for used - crazy prices....now virtually the same as a MIA without a case!

Quite a lot of the community knock these, and yes I can understand why. I'm fortunate to be the present keeper of lots of different basses, among them I do have a '68 P Bass, a '92 Jazz V, a '95 Jazz American Standard and I also have a 2011 Roadworn Jazz.

The Roadworn, in my opinion, plays (and sounds) better than the '95 USA standard hands down, the neck, the action, it's amazingly lightweight - it's all good!

I have two roadwork jazzes. One fiesta red and one sunburst. The fiesta Red one is the better bass but its so opinionated I bet I think the sunburst one is better soon enough. I have had loads of really expensive instruments over the years I still have a thumb nt 5 ( rrp £2500 ) and a low end 5 ( rrp. $3500 ) and these two stay in their cases whilst I play and gig with the roadworns. Amazing basses that will go down in history as the height of Mexican workmanship.

But dear new but I picked both up for less than £600. Bargains of the century.

Oh and the reason the red ones are so hard to find is that they are the best ones. Truly a major difference between the two colours.

Really important thing about these is they have to be set up right. I had to shim both of mine. Spent hours setting them up. Now they are amazing. Who needs to spend £000ss on vintage instruments? These look fantastic too.

[quote name='Les' timestamp='1349483068' post='1827060']
wot he said. I've never understood the appeal.
[/quote]

Gotta agree, those roadworns may sound good but the fretwork and finish on the one's i've seen is abysmal lol. I tried a 50's tele and it grated my hand to shreds - jumbo frets on a vintage radius what the...?

[quote name='Thor' timestamp='1349476745' post='1827017']
Quite a lot of the community knock these, and yes I can understand why. I'm fortunate to be the present keeper of lots of different basses, among them I do have a '68 P Bass, a '92 Jazz V, a '95 Jazz American Standard and I also have a 2011 Roadworn Jazz.

The Roadworn, in my opinion, plays (and sounds) better than the '95 USA standard hands down, the neck, the action, it's amazingly lightweight - it's all good!
[/quote]
I think that the knocking is all really "tongue-in-cheek", so I wouldn't take too much notice of it.

I must admit that I would love a "roadworn" bass, but personally, I would like it to be genuinely that way.

I don't doubt that the "roadworns" are great basses, as so many BC'ers are always singing their praises, so why can't the Mexican factory produce the same instrument without the artificial ageing, as I think that they would appeal to far more people, because I think a lot of people are put off by a brand new instrument looking aged, and if they cut out the aged look, maybe they would be cheaper?

[quote name='thebrig' timestamp='1349506025' post='1827096']
why can't the Mexican factory produce the same instrument without the artificial ageing
[/quote]

They do! The Classic series instruments are exactly the same apart from a poly finish instead of nitro and the lack of relicing, AFAIK.

[quote name='Spike Vincent' timestamp='1349461555' post='1826718']
Do what I did,buy a Fender,use it for 34 years......
[/quote]

With a modern poly finish, natural relicing will never happen.

I used to like the idea of a Roadworn, but recently I played on the same bill as a band of 16 year-olds, all were playing Roadworns and it just looked ridiculous.