Why become a member? ×

Compressor pedals - which one is best?

Gunsfreddy2003

Here's a curve ball for you, I've just got an Auralex Gramma (plenty of threads about these already) to go under my rig, this has really worked on the wooden floor of the village hall where we practice. My sound instantly is tighter and more focused without changing it at all. I'm very impressed, as are the rest of the band.

If you want a Trace Elliot SMX dual compressor, then let me know and I'll finally get around to deciding how much I want for it. (Mint condition, had it since new, has proper 18v PSU - very light usage.)

[quote name='Rumple' timestamp='1351585341' post='1852797']
Here's a [url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/187324-anyone-tried-a-diamond-bass-comp/page__p__1819326__hl__diamond__fromsearch__1#entry1819326"]link[/url] to an earlier thread about the Diamond started by Pete Academy who bought one in the end, you could PM him and see how he's getting on with it.
[/quote]

He sent it back soon after.
I pretty much never use a compressor,despite having 3. I do keep an EMMA TransMORGrifier on my pedalboard
just to even out some effects craziness at times,but for normal playing I never use one.
Out of the ones that I've tried,the EMMA is my favourite.

Are you sure - last time I read that thread he loved it!

[quote name='Doddy' timestamp='1355160624' post='1894831']
He sent it back soon after.
I pretty much never use a compressor,despite having 3. I do keep an EMMA TransMORGrifier on my pedalboard
just to even out some effects craziness at times,but for normal playing I never use one.
Out of the ones that I've tried,the EMMA is my favourite.
[/quote]

Hiya,

Hope the following helps and I'm not repeating anything said (haven't read the whole thread)

My tuppence: haven't tried the diamond so can't comment. Own and use as 'always on' an MB compressore, just switch up the setting for anything from a soft evening of dynamics to give the skinnier strings a bit more gain all the way to having fat, punchy, big bellied globs for notes :) so yeah it's brill! But for slap it wouldn't be my first choice as even with a quick attack set it doesn't do peak limiting nearly as well as the MXR M87 did when I spend half an hour with it. Ideally I'd have one of them as well to kick in when desired after the MB in the chain but with the budget for one only I got the MB as it has more character than the MXR and can 'warm' up your tone so was more what i was looking for if i have to choose. The MXR is more clinical in its sound: no colouring beyond the natural thickening of reducing dynamics, and can catch the fast transients of slapping better. So it depends whats more your bag man. Do you have any good stores where you can take your bass in and try a few out? There's really no substitute! :)

• 4 weeks later...

Boss CS-3 is pretty useful. Just got one the other day and and it focuses my sound a treat - I sound much better in the mix than before! Keep the sustain below 9:00 though else it kills tone.I think they go for about £50 used. I got mine from a mate for £20 and a pint :)

Hi! :hi:

... just to add a vote for the TC Nova Dynamics... I got this one 2nd hand for £70, and its probably one of the most flexible compressors / noise gates still out there. I like the gain indicators to show how much compression is being used + it has presets + can be used as two separate effects (A / B outputs)...

It works best towards the end of a chain - even in a loop - and produces a transparent, smooth and rounded sound and adds next to no noise whatsoever..
Negatives are that the footprint is quite big, and it's power hungry (300+ ma). I'd probably swap it out for the MXR 87 if one came up for a great price... pretty unlikely at the moment!

Edited by SimonEdward

[quote name='D.I. Joe' timestamp='1357422981' post='1922577']
Boss CS-3 is pretty useful. Just got one the other day and and it focuses my sound a treat - I sound much better in the mix than before! Keep the sustain below 9:00 though else it kills tone.I think they go for about £50 used. I got mine from a mate for £20 and a pint :)
[/quote]

That's a great price for a CS-3, if you are handy with a soldering iron and fancy upgrading it they can be modded with one of the Monte Allum kits to turn it into high end pedal.

[quote name='Rumple' timestamp='1357473968' post='1923001']

That's a great price for a CS-3, if you are handy with a soldering iron and fancy upgrading it they can be modded with one of the Monte Allum kits to turn it into high end pedal.
[/quote]

That does sound intriguing. Where can I find the kit, online presumably?

[quote name='D.I. Joe' timestamp='1357490734' post='1923396']
That does sound intriguing. Where can I find the kit, online presumably?
[/quote]

Yes, he's US based but postage is cheap enough as there's no weight to the parts.

http://www.monteallums.com/pedal_mods.html#cs3opto

Pretty sure I got the Opto Plus mod in mine.