Why become a member? ×

Does this pedal exist?

Ziphoblat

Okay, I'll explain my situation.

I've only really got two sounds in my live set-up for my current band (excluding wah, that is). One is my clean sound (slightly overdriven, but functions as a clean sound) and the other is a full on dirty sound used for several Muse songs and a few originals.

I'd like to make my dirty sound a bit more complex/sophisticated. I've managed to experiment at home using my music interface and figure out the exact sound I want. I'm achieving it by blending three signals together. The first is a simple clean tone. The second is run into a synth pedal, and then into a distortion pedal. The third is run into a fuzz pedal and then into a ring modulator (a homemade Roger Mayer Octavia modified a bit to suit bass).

So ideally what I'd like is sort of a three-way blend pedal that has operates in parallel and if possible has a volume control for each of the three signals (could live without this bit). I've drawn a crappy diagram to make this it easier to understand what I'm trying to achieve.

The section I'm unsure about the best way to go about achieving is the bit in the middle in red. Now the final catch is that I'd really like a way to be able to toggle the entire deal on and off in one quick press of a footswitch (ie bypass the red section and have my straight clean sound). That way I can just hit one switch to engage/disengage the dirty sound.

I realise it might not be as easy as I hope it is (one pedal with a load of inputs/outputs, a footswitch, and a few volume knobs). If this is the case, is such a pedal possible, and any recommendations on where to get it made? Failing that, what would be the most efficient way to go about achieving what I'm trying to get here?

Cheers

[quote name='bartelby' timestamp='1349121631' post='1822178']
You can run the 2 loops in parallel.
But it is only 2 loops, whereas you need 3.

Sorry, scan read your post. :blush:
[/quote]

Thanks anyway!

[quote name='simwells' timestamp='1349121241' post='1822172']
Wounded Paw V3 or the BadgerEffects Schism XV comes to mind if you want all three parallel loops running at once. There probably are others but they're the only two I'm aware of.
[/quote]

Thanks for the suggestions, the Wounded Paw looks a bit much for me, but the Badgereffects one looks perfect. I looked on their website but couldn't see a right lot about ordering. Is there anywhere over here you can get em or are they made to order?

[quote name='Ziphoblat' timestamp='1349121955' post='1822183']Thanks for the suggestions, the Wounded Paw looks a bit much for me, but the Badgereffects one looks perfect. I looked on their website but couldn't see a right lot about ordering. Is there anywhere over here you can get em or are they made to order?
[/quote]

I contacted them at one point and it would likely have to be a direct order by emailing him, think they're then made to order. If I remember correctly they were about £120ish that may have been shipped not sure. A custom UK made one will definitely work out as more than that and otherwise you'd be looking at two LS-2s or an LS-2 and a simple blend pedal.

[quote name='ahpook' timestamp='1349121689' post='1822179']
you could do it with an LS-2 if you first split your signal with a simple switchable loop pedal

bass into the looper to keep the clean tone and then put the LS-2 in the loop with the two effected chains running through that.

hope that makes sense
[/quote]

That does actually make a lot of sense... thanks for the idea. Any suggestions on a simple loop pedal in the UK? Found exactly what I'd need from an American company but that could get pricey.

[quote name='simwells' timestamp='1349123202' post='1822221']
If it's passive blend loop pedal only then they'd be very straight forward to make if you're comfortable with a soldering iron or someone on here would likely be happy to make you one. Otherwise Bright Onion make one I think.
[/quote]

bright onion - that's the lot i was trying to think of !

i'd think you'd be ok with a passive one - everything's going into, or coming out of, pedals so the impedances should be appropriate.

i've used my looper pedal (from red onion pedals...a forerunner of bright onion perhaps ?) with large signal chains and never felt the signal quality suffered.

The ideal pedal for you would be the [url="http://www.thegigrig.com/acatalog/SWS_Loopy-2.html"]GigRig Loopy 2[/url]. Put it between compressor and wah, connect ring mod and fuzz in one loop, distortion and synth in the other. Set the DIP switches inside to flip-flop mode, and you will [u]never[/u] have both loops on together - watch the video to see what I mean. The Loopy 2 is [i]proper[/i] true bypass, not buffered, as it uses relays. I guess you have a pedalboard with a power supply - you will need about 200mA to power the Loopy 2.

I use two Loopy 2s on my guitar pedalboard. Although I do vaguely know Dan Steinhardt to talk to (he is local to me), I am not famous enough to be an endorser, and I pay the going rate!

Essentially passive is a lot more likely to colour your tone due to loading effects but it is very hard to know if it will be noticable in your particular setup without trying it.

Another thought I just had was this guy http://www.monkeyfx.co.uk/routers.html He at least used to make a pedal called the BlenderTwo which wasn't much more than the Blenderoo (so likely less than an LS-2 plus blender) I'd try sending him an email and see anyway.

[quote name='xgsjx' timestamp='1349124094' post='1822241']
Can you solder?
[/quote]

I can, although I'm not fantastic at it.

Anyway, thanks to everyone for your information/advice. I've decided to e-mail Badgereffects about the Schism XV... looks like it'll be a little more versatile than a boss + a simple looper, and save me some pedalboard space, and probably not cost much more.

A simple & cheap option would be to make your own 2 part pedal that 1st splits the signal so you can put your signals where you want & then the 2nd part would be a simple 3 channel mixer to source your signals back to one. Easy to make & fun too.

Just buy a multi effects unit capable of routing. :) Lexicon MPXG2's can be had for a song these days and offer four channels (two paths in stereo) which can be combined any way you like. There are probably more recent floor units that can do the same thing, like the TC Electronic Nova system.