Why become a member? ×

Vanderkley and GB Streamliner...

funkle

Hi all

Made the mistake of going into Bass Direct and playing through a Vanderkley 2 x 1x12 stack with the Streamliner 600. Not entirely certain what version of the 1x12 cabs I was playing through; the baffles on the cabs were red (I thought this meant 600W per cab?) though IIRC Mark told me the models I was playing through were the 300W versions.... Anyway...

[i][color=#000080]EDIT 2/10/12: I phoned Mark, and it turns out I played through the 112MNTs (red baffle as I said; 600W power handling), not the 112EXT (300W power handling). Mark tells me they sound the same anyway, just differ in power handling.[/color][/i]

Absolutely instant GAS. It sounded warm, buttery, smooth, loud, and funky. I loved it. My Tecamp and Acme rigs are excellent but the Vanderkley and Streamliner combo seemed magical. Wow!!

Will get more info from Mark on what it was I played through, exactly. Seriously considering getting 2 of the Vanderkley cabs now and the Streamliner...

I've done searches, and there is some info on Vanderkley on here, though not masses. Enough to give me the sense that a lot of people like these cabs...

Can anyone give me any firsthand experience on what this combination is like out in the real world? (Especially if only using a single 1x12 in some situations...). Anyone tried a Tecamp head and Vanderkley cabs?

Thanks.

Pete

Edited by funkle

Done my last 10 or so gigs with either 1 or 2 Vanderkley 112MNT's (600w neolite models) with an Eden WT405 or TC RH750. The last 3 gigs with a Streamliner 600. All 3 amps sound good with the cabs but deliver different qualities. The Genz with the Vans sounds to me just as described in the OP.
Would like to try a Shuttle sometime as very impressed with the Streamliner.

[quote name='lowdowner' timestamp='1348950404' post='1820136']
I made the mistake of playing Mark's Genz Benz Streamliner 900 and Bergantino 112s and that's was the deal done. My bass teacher had previously gone for the Streamliner 900 and the Vanderkley 2 x 112s and is really happy with them... they're both great setups ... enjoy :)
[/quote]

Funnily enough I tried the Streamliner through one of the Bergantino 112s as a comparison and didn't quite gel with it in the same way as I did with the Vanderkleys. However I wish I'd had enough time to try a single Vanderkley 1x12 with the Streamliner, as I wonder if the coupling of the speakers made things sound....fuller?

I've had the Streamliner 900 and two Vanderkley 112 EXTs for the past year (also courtesy of Mark's sales skills!) It's a great rig and as loud as I'll ever need. I would be interested to hear what the higher powered MNT cabs add, but I guess they're only relevant at massive volumes?! Interestingly I'm increasingly taking out just one cab as running one a bit harder works better for me than under-powering the two. Seems to add a bit of grit to the otherwise very flat response of the cabs. Also, it's been said before but bares repeating that the power to weight ratio of this rig is just ridiculous compared to what was possible just 10 years ago!

[quote name='funkle' timestamp='1348953416' post='1820180']

Funnily enough I tried the Streamliner through one of the Bergantino 112s as a comparison and didn't quite gel with it in the same way as I did with the Vanderkleys. However I wish I'd had enough time to try a single Vanderkley 1x12 with the Streamliner, as I wonder if the coupling of the speakers made things sound....fuller?
[/quote]

That's what I thought - Streamliner with the Vanderklays, or a Shuttle with the Bergs.

[quote name='moonbass' timestamp='1348960420' post='1820236']
I've had the Streamliner 900 and two Vanderkley 112 EXTs for the past year (also courtesy of Mark's sales skills!) It's a great rig and as loud as I'll ever need. I would be interested to hear what the higher powered MNT cabs add, but I guess they're only relevant at massive volumes?! Interestingly I'm increasingly taking out just one cab as running one a bit harder works better for me than under-powering the two. Seems to add a bit of grit to the otherwise very flat response of the cabs. Also, it's been said before but bares repeating that the power to weight ratio of this rig is just ridiculous compared to what was possible just 10 years ago!
[/quote]

So does a single Vanderkley 1x12 sound similar to the stack of 2 in terms of fullness/overall sound?

The Acme cabs I have are as flat as any I've heard. They didn't gel well with the Streamliner I tried with them previously IMO. One of the things that made me go off the Streamliner initially. However when a Streamliner is hooked up to a Vanderkley...well. For that reason, I suspect the Vanderkley not to be as flat in the mids as the Acme. Just my theory. Also from spec sheet the Acmes may extend slightly higher. Whatever....I like the colouration the Vanderkley/Streamliner give to the sound. I just want to figure out if I should land one or two cabs...

Pete

It's hard to be truly objective about these things as even when A/Bing one and two cabs it depends very much on room characteristics and volume level as well. My personal view is that in bigger rooms 2 cabs are needed for the bass response, but in smaller rooms running one just sounds better for midrange. Yes, I do think there are times when you need two of them.

[quote name='moonbass' timestamp='1348987799' post='1820313']
It's hard to be truly objective about these things as even when A/Bing one and two cabs it depends very much on room characteristics and volume level as well. My personal view is that in bigger rooms 2 cabs are needed for the bass response, but in smaller rooms running one just sounds better for midrange. Yes, I do think there are times when you need two of them.
[/quote]

That has been really helpful. Thanks!

[quote name='funkle' timestamp='1348979797' post='1820302']
So does a single Vanderkley 1x12 sound similar to the stack of 2 in terms of fullness/overall sound?

[/quote]

[quote name='moonbass' timestamp='1348987799' post='1820313']
[/quote]

I'd agree with that. I've had two MNT 1x12 cabs for a while and used them at first with an EA iAmp800 and later an Ampeg SVP pre-amp going through an SVP1500 power amp. Sorry I can't comment on the Streamliner but both of my amps sound great through them. While still using the EA amp I preferred the sound of both cabs together when playing in the house. One cab alone just seemed to lack the full bodied nature of the two together. One night I went out to a quiet jam night and feeling lazy just took one cab was surprised how nice it sounded at a lower volume than I'd been used to hearing them both at a full on gig. It was much nicer than the sound I got at home. I was expecting it to sound a bit thin but it held its own really well.
I think the room probably had a lot to do with it though and if I'd not been so lazy and taken both cabs I might've had an even better sound. They're lovely. sounding cabs and I'm really pleased with mine. I've never tried playing a proper gig with just one cab but both together sound huge! I'd buy 2 if I were you. If you find two are too much for a certain room you can always disconnect one.

[quote name='whynot' timestamp='1348951172' post='1820148']
Done my last 10 or so gigs with either 1 or 2 Vanderkley 112MNT's (600w neolite models) with an Eden WT405 or TC RH750. The last 3 gigs with a Streamliner 600. All 3 amps sound good with the cabs but deliver different qualities. The Genz with the Vans sounds to me just as described in the OP.
Would like to try a Shuttle sometime as very impressed with the Streamliner.
[/quote]

Are the MNTs worth the extra over the EXTs? At least, in your experience?

[quote name='Bassdriver' timestamp='1349026677' post='1820837']

I'd agree with that. I've had two MNT 1x12 cabs for a while and used them at first with an EA iAmp800 and later an Ampeg SVP pre-amp going through an SVP1500 power amp. Sorry I can't comment on the Streamliner but both of my amps sound great through them. While still using the EA amp I preferred the sound of both cabs together when playing in the house. One cab alone just seemed to lack the full bodied nature of the two together. One night I went out to a quiet jam night and feeling lazy just took one cab was surprised how nice it sounded at a lower volume than I'd been used to hearing them both at a full on gig. It was much nicer than the sound I got at home. I was expecting it to sound a bit thin but it held its own really well.
I think the room probably had a lot to do with it though and if I'd not been so lazy and taken both cabs I might've had an even better sound. They're lovely. sounding cabs and I'm really pleased with mine. I've never tried playing a proper gig with just one cab but both together sound huge! I'd buy 2 if I were you. If you find two are too much for a certain room you can always disconnect one.
[/quote]

Ok, convinced! I'll defo get 2.

For small jazz gigs, I have gotten away with my Acme 1x10 just fine. But if I could use a Streamliner and a single Vanderkley 1x12, and get that lovely buttery fat sound with just one cab for small gigs, I'd be really happy.

[quote name='funkle' timestamp='1349039747' post='1821082']
Ok, convinced! I'll defo get 2.

For small jazz gigs, I have gotten away with my Acme 1x10 just fine. But if I could use a Streamliner and a single Vanderkley 1x12, and get that lovely buttery fat sound with just one cab for small gigs, I'd be really happy.
[/quote]

Cool. I'm sure you'll enjoy playing with them whatever configuration you use. I'm tempted to buy another two and use them with my Ampeg running in stereo but having recently acquired a Barefaced 2x15 I think I need to stop thinking about buying speakers for a while. I have more than enough :-)

I meant to add earlier, mine are the 600w MNT model. They have the red fronts. IIRC from when I was looking at them the 300w model are the EXT and have black fronts but I'm sure Mark knows what he's talking about. Perhaps the 300s have red fronts these days.

Have no idea I'm afraid as never tried the EXT's, but have recently thought about this myself.
I bought mine used so never did the comparison.
One thing I have noticed is that these cabs can take more before breaking up and sound fuller (at higher volume) than some other 12's I've tried.

[quote name='funkle' timestamp='1349039525' post='1821074']
Are the MNTs worth the extra over the EXTs? At least, in your experience?
[/quote]

An extra £125 a cab for the MNTs? I don't know, I never did the comparison, but I've never got to a stage where my EXTs have been lacking. I'd definitely suggest trying as many of the range (212 and 410 at least) as well before buying as you never know what's going to get the sonic juices flowing!

[quote name='Bassdriver' timestamp='1349041458' post='1821117']
Cool. I'm sure you'll enjoy playing with them whatever configuration you use. I'm tempted to buy another two and use them with my Ampeg running in stereo but having recently acquired a Barefaced 2x15 I think I need to stop thinking about buying speakers for a while. I have more than enough :-)

I meant to add earlier, mine are the 600w MNT model. They have the red fronts. IIRC from when I was looking at them the 300w model are the EXT and have black fronts but I'm sure Mark knows what he's talking about. Perhaps the 300s have red fronts these days.
[/quote]

How does the Barefaced super 15 compare to the Vanderlkley cabs ?

My old tutor Ollie Collins uses that set up at the moment and he says its one of the best rigs he's ever used. Tried it myself in a lesson and tho same cabs with my trace head and they are brilliant...as soon as i get back from my cruise contract i'll be selling my trace cab and buying a pair of Vanderkley 1x12s

I had this set up - 2 of 112ext and a STM 600.

Good and very nice on their own. I think it is a matter of personal taste but the head was not for me ( although I initially thought it was, and I now have a Markbass rig again and it is like coming home to an old friend

Edited by nottswarwick

I have a Vanderkley 2x12MNT which I power with a Markbass tube 800.
This was a quantum leap from the Markbass cabs that I used in a blues / rock band , the Vanderkley's will cut through any over ambitious guitarists / keyboard / drummer / singer .
The downside is you can hear all your mistakes !!

[quote name='skychaserhigh' timestamp='1349117354' post='1822084']
How does the Barefaced super 15 compare to the Vanderlkley cabs ?
[/quote]

Well, not having had the chance to use the BF out of the house yet it wouldn’t be fair to try to give a full comparison but at moderate home volumes the BF compares very favourably, sounding more full bodied, rounder, thicker, as you might expect with a 2x15 but still well defined in the mids/highs. If I want to get a more cutting middy tone I have to play a couple of mm closer to the bridge than I would with the Vans , at which point the fatness remains, it just gets tighter, more punchy and cuts through the mix nicely without any hint of muddiness. Mine is a Vintage T mind you, not a super 15 but they’re probably quite similar soundwise.

My drummer reckons I’ve got the best sound ever with the Ampeg/Vanderkley set up and finds it hard to believe it can get any better but the recent purchase of a Roqsolid cover for the BF means I’ll be taking it out in the van to play with at the next opportunity so we’ll see. Either way my EA cabs are now sitting in a corner looking lonely and unwanted. For my tastes I think the BF will have the edge over the Vans at gigging volume. It’s a while til the next gig now though so I might just don some earplugs and crank both set s of speakers in the house over the weekend and report back. My only neighbour has a drum kit and we operate a live and let live approach to excessive noise :-)

Scored SiBob's Streamliner 900. Ka-ching! Half of the equation solved. I can hardly wait for it to get here...

Now I just need to decide on which set of Vanderkley 112 cabs I go for...I guess it depends on what's available secondhand. The Sreamliner 900 could easily handle 2 of the 112 MNTs - scary...

Hit me up if you've got 'em and don't want 'em...