Why become a member? ×

OMFG!! I want that bass!!

xilddx

[quote name='silddx' timestamp='1348694018' post='1817132']
To me music is music. The more I do it the less I give a sh*t about how I make it. I play a few instruments, but all I care about is the song. I just make music, and that's all that's important.
[/quote]

Fair comment, wouldn't pay for us all to be the same, I guess I'm a bit old in the tooth now :blush: Luckily for me it was in the 1930's that Paul Tutmarc developed the first electric string Bass, his company weren't really that successful though, but then in in 1951 Leo Fender introduced the now legendary 'Precision Bass', it is therefore fair for me to claim this as an original concept to me (as it was invetented well before my time), I quite like the old string pig (double bass) and have been fortunate enough to have a go on one occasionally, that though is akin to my having a go on an old 'Indian' and comparing it to my modern VN1600 Classic Tourer.
I suppose there will come a time when young aficianado's of this modern 'toy bass' will make the same comparison, I just hope these things don't take away the ability of future generations to actually play an instrument in the same way that calculators and mobile phones have taken away the ability of youngsters to read, write and count.

Edited by Kevo

[quote name='Kevo' timestamp='1348736713' post='1817433']
Fair comment, wouldn't pay for us all to be the same, I guess I'm a bit old in the tooth now :blush: Luckily for me it was in the 1930's that Paul Tutmarc developed the first electric string Bass, his company weren't really that successful though, but then in in 1951 Leo Fender introduced the now legendary 'Precision Bass', it is therefore fair for me to claim this as an original concept to me (as it was invetented well before my time), I quite like the old string pig (double bass) and have been fortunate enough to have a go on one occasionally, that though is akin to my having a go on an old 'Indian' and comparing it to my modern VN1600 Classic Tourer.
[b]I suppose there will come a time when young aficianado's of this modern 'toy bass' will makle the same comparison, I just hope these things don't take away the ability of future generations to actually play an instrument in the same way that calculators and mobile phones have taken away the ability of youngsters to read, write and count.[/b]
[/quote]

This is where I have a serious problem. Ability on a device is simply a tool for expression, it is NOT music. Music should not be considered to be dependent on devices, the human is the instrument. Wonderful music has been made on a two note flute, and dreadful music has been made on a 7 string bass. It's about the HUMAN, not the device. Does this mean the two note flute is a toy? Of course it doesn't, it is simply a conduit for human expression.

[quote name='silddx' timestamp='1348737435' post='1817448']
This is where I have a serious problem. Ability on a device is simply a tool for expression, it is NOT music. Music should not be considered to be dependent on devices, the human is the instrument. Wonderful music has been made on a two note flute, and dreadful music has been made on a 7 string bass. It's about the HUMAN, not the device. Does this mean the two note flute is a toy? Of course it doesn't, it is simply a conduit for human expression.
[/quote]

I have no argument on the two note flute or seven string bass (what are the other three strings for) ;), D.A.D's bass player has his guitars built with only two strings, I certainly have no argument on the Human interface, the voice is often the greatest instrument, STOMP make a fine noise out of all manner of 'tools', but the ability is all important, anyone can tap a saucepan with a wooden spoon and even keep very good time doing it, my problem comes when someone records that pan tapper, digitises it, puts it into a synthesiser or computer programmed device and replays it saying they have 'created' music, the pan tapper created the music not the computer wizard.
I make no attempt to scoff at your musical abilities, it is very likely they are far better than my basic skills but we must agree to disagree on the way in which those skills are put to use.
Cheers
Kevo

[quote name='Kevo' timestamp='1348739065' post='1817492']
I have no argument on the two note flute or seven string bass (what are the other three strings for) ;), D.A.D's bass player has his guitars built with only two strings, I certainly have no argument on the Human interface, the voice is often the greatest instrument, STOMP make a fine noise out of all manner of 'tools', but the ability is all important, anyone can tap a saucepan with a wooden spoon and even keep very good time doing it, my problem comes when someone records that pan tapper, digitises it, puts it into a synthesiser or computer programmed device and replays it saying they have 'created' music, the pan tapper created the music not the computer wizard.
I make no attempt to scoff at your musical abilities, it is very likely they are far better than my basic skills but we must agree to disagree on the way in which those skills are put to use.
Cheers
Kevo
[/quote]

If you value mechanical ability over musical and compositional expression, then you are right, we will never agree.

I totally agree whatever sounds good, however it's made, obviously performance wise it's nice to see playing over button pressing

Having said that, whilst I'm a massive fan of electronic music, real bass strings, however much effect is added does seem to make a great deal of difference, in a song full of otherwise totally electronic music

Even going back to human league and Tubeway army etc, a real bass just gives it that edge

[quote name='mcgraham' timestamp='1348648637' post='1816294']
Is that what Muse sound like these days? That song and sound was like U2 and Queen shoved in a blender. I'd happily listen to the sound, but it's a shame to hear a band that had an original sound years ago 'evolve' into something we've already got.
[/quote]

Exactly this!

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1348642674' post='1816216']

And what's with the second guitarist lurking in the back ground? If you're going to use extra musicians put them where they can be seen otherwise everyone will assume you are using backing tracks.
[/quote]

Frigging A - totally agree - I'm guessing it was 'management' suggesting that it would undermine their image as a 'trio' - the extra guitar guy is probably out of sight when they play arenas... and while I'm digging the kind of organic use of a synth bass (i.e.e it's not on a loop etc) this song is sounding dangerously like U2... I guess it was only a matter of time before Muse went that way. Good players though.

[quote name='urb' timestamp='1348744176' post='1817580']
Frigging A - totally agree - I'm guessing it was 'management' suggesting that it would undermine their image as a 'trio' - the extra guitar guy is probably out of sight when they play arenas... and while I'm digging the kind of organic use of a synth bass (i.e.e it's not on a loop etc) this song is sounding dangerously like U2... I guess it was only a matter of time before Muse went that way. Good players though.
[/quote]

Big Freeze on the new album is insanely U2 sounding.

[quote name='leebassplayer' timestamp='1348751126' post='1817717']
anyone have a link to where you could actually buy one of these? not that i would or anything...... :ph34r:
[/quote]

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1348642674' post='1816216']
The top half is a [url="http://www.misadigital.com/kitara.html"]Misa Kitara[/url].
[/quote]

As soon as I saw that I knew it wouldn't be long before someone on BC was commenting on it :) Especially because of its Status status. (Although I can get the same sound from my Zoom B2.1u expression pedal on one of its 'Synth' settings)

Edited by daz