Why become a member? ×

'66 'Slab' Precision Build

Rick's Fine '52

[quote name='Rick's Fine '52' timestamp='1348228298' post='1811103']
thanks Lozz.

The King Billy!, now, I havent played there for a looong time, brings back memories of some very messy nights!! :unsure:

When I get it finished and set up, and you're playing round this way, let me know, and you can have a borrow of it. It may even be ready for November 10th?? I have a pickup issue at the moment though!?!
[/quote]

That`s more than generous, but knowing how messy the gigs at The Billy can be, I think it`s best (for you certainly) that my own gear gets trashed :rolleyes:

Excellent thread - I shall be interested to see pictures of the finished bass.

And unfortunately (and noting your comments about making it clear in the build it's a repro - I'm sure there are others not so alturistic when big money is involved), it scares the hell out of me thinking about buying a pre CBS - although I also know quite a lot of the recognition points on these basses.

[quote name='drTStingray' timestamp='1348236677' post='1811246']
Excellent thread - I shall be interested to see pictures of the finished bass.

And unfortunately (and noting your comments about making it clear in the build it's a repro - I'm sure there are others not so alturistic when big money is involved), it scares the hell out of me thinking about buying a pre CBS - although I also know quite a lot of the recognition points on these basses.
[/quote] says pre-CBS on the headstock init?

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1348235653' post='1811232']
That`s more than generous, but knowing how messy the gigs at The Billy can be, I think it`s best (for you certainly) that my own gear gets trashed :rolleyes:
[/quote]

Thats the beauty of Relics though isn't it, especially a thick slab body, it would take some trashing. John Entwistle even makes specific reference in Baz Matthews' book, about the difficulties of smashing a slab precision!

Keep watching the thread, and see how progress go's leading up to the gig.

[quote name='pobrien_ie' timestamp='1348230682' post='1811156']
Thanks for a great thread!

In relation to some of the other posts, I have to say I think what you do is cool. I saw your ad for the '58 replica, and I don't think you could have been any clearer that it wasn't a Fender production bass.

Please keep this kind of stuff coming ;)
[/quote]

Thanks pobrien, appreciate the comments.

[quote name='Mabrothrax' timestamp='1348233506' post='1811204']
Lovely stuff so far. There's something about the slab p-bass that makes me all excited.

I've got the 'bass culture' book of Entwhistle's collection and the slab bass in there is just gorgeous, made me seriously consider trying to build a slab bass of some sort, perhaps with a 51 body from warmoth.
[/quote]

Thanks, I agree, there is something about them, not sure what it is, its just a Precision really isnt it, albeit one thats merged into holy grail like status. I can't wait to get it finished.

This is fascinating reading, very best of luck with your 'quest'
I can totally understand your reasons for starting this project and admire your tenacity
Have you seen any of the builds which Gail Yarron has shown on the TDPRI site, he has a similar obsessive nature, particularly in his Les Paul build, but he is a bass player foremost with a particular soft spot for Precisions
Here is a link to a list of his build diaries

[url="http://www.tdpri.com/forum/search.php?searchid=7145695"]http://www.tdpri.com/forum/search.php?searchid=7145695[/url]

thanks for posting this Rick

Harry

[quote name='rubis' timestamp='1348248381' post='1811473']
This is fascinating reading, very best of luck with your 'quest'
I can totally understand your reasons for starting this project and admire your tenacity
Have you seen any of the builds which Gail Yarron has shown on the TDPRI site, he has a similar obsessive nature, particularly in his Les Paul build, but he is a bass player foremost with a particular soft spot for Precisions
Here is a link to a list of his build diaries

[url="http://www.tdpri.com/forum/search.php?searchid=7145695"]http://www.tdpri.com...earchid=7145695[/url]

thanks for posting this Rick

Harry
[/quote]

Thanks Harry. Yes I've been a fan of his work for some time, although a different league, I'm more an 'assembler' than a maker, I wish I had his skills, time, and patience. I certainly share his obsessive desire for accuracy though.

Rick, you're making me feel dreadful. I want you to post nothing until it's finished, then just one small picture and never mention it again!! :-)

If I knew how to do it (or had the equipment) I'd measure whatever you measure on pick-ups and give you the readings for the genuine slab pick-up I have in my bass. If you would really find it helpful, tell me what I need to do and I'll try and get it done. That would settle the pick-up question for certain.

[quote name='Bassman Steve' timestamp='1348254913' post='1811586']
Rick, you're making me feel dreadful. I want you to post nothing until it's finished, then just one small picture and never mention it again!! :-)

If I knew how to do it (or had the equipment) I'd measure whatever you measure on pick-ups and give you the readings for the genuine slab pick-up I have in my bass. If you would really find it helpful, tell me what I need to do and I'll try and get it done. That would settle the pick-up question for certain.
[/quote]

Here's how;

I guess putting the reader on the pots would also work. This is the reading I'd expect on the slab pickups, somewhere between 10.5 & 11.5. This particular pick is one of the highest I've seen. These are '66 pickups, but at $800, I'll pass.....and wait! :P

[quote name='Rick's Fine '52' timestamp='1348256167' post='1811607']
Here's how;

I guess putting the reader on the pots would also work. This is the reading I'd expect on the slab pickups, somewhere between 10.5 & 11.5. This particular pick is one of the highest I've seen. These are '66 pickups, but at $800, I'll pass.....and wait! :P
[/quote]

$800?! Ouch!

Didn't realise Slabs had a different pickup resistance. Will you be comfortable with a modern 'vintage' pickup though, or are you gonna hold out for the real thing?

[quote name='Mabrothrax' timestamp='1348261391' post='1811698']
$800?! Ouch!

Didn't realise Slabs had a different pickup resistance. Will you be comfortable with a modern 'vintage' pickup though, or are you gonna hold out for the real thing?
[/quote]

There's no evidence to suggest the pickups were any different to regular pickups of that era. There are some quotes about them being more lively than others, but from the experts view, thats just myth and rumour.

Apart from the neck and body, everything else is from c.1966, so I'm hoping to get some original pickups as well, but I'll settle for a modern reissue, while I wait definitely, if the right ones turn up, I'm not paying $800 thats for sure. If the rest of the bass is finished and ready to go, then I'll get something to drop in, so I can play it, and keep hunting for the real mccoy.

[quote name='Rick's Fine '52' timestamp='1348238380' post='1811277']
Thats the beauty of Relics though isn't it, especially a thick slab body, it would take some trashing. John Entwistle even makes specific reference in Baz Matthews' book, about the difficulties of smashing a slab precision!

Keep watching the thread, and see how progress go's leading up to the gig.
[/quote]

Will do, looks like a great project. I wish I was able to work with my hands on things like this, as would love to be able to create such an instrument, but have always been hopeless at anything manual. In fact, worse than hopeless.

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1348268090' post='1811839']
Will do, looks like a great project. I wish I was able to work with my hands on things like this, as would love to be able to create such an instrument, but have always been hopeless at anything manual. In fact, worse than hopeless.
[/quote]

Assembling, and a little relic work is not as difficult as it may appear. Practice definitely helps. This is my 4th, and almost certainly last project though, and hopefully I've saved the best 'til last.

[font=Verdana][size=3][color=#000000]OK, time for another instalment.[/color][/size][/font]

[font=Verdana][size=3][color=#000000]Here’s the hardware for the Project;[/color][/size][/font]
[list]
[*][font=Verdana][size=3][color=#000000]Chrome bridge & pickup covers, these are originals from 1966[/color][/size][/font]
[*][font=Verdana][size=3][color=#000000]F-Neckplate, with 131285 serial number[/color][/size][/font]
[*][font=Verdana][size=3][color=#000000]Knurled knobs, again from ‘66[/color][/size][/font]
[*][font=Verdana][size=3][color=#000000]60's original thumbrest, impossible to tell exact year.[/color][/size][/font]
[*][font=Verdana][size=3][color=#000000]Pots, cloth wires, and jack, dated 6608/6609[/color][/size][/font]
[*][font=Verdana][size=3][color=#000000]Strap buttons, these are from ’65, I need another one for the rear of the headstock![/color][/size][/font]
[*][font=Verdana][size=3][color=#000000]Tuners, reverse Klusons. These are originals from ’64, and will do until I can get some ’66 ones, if at all? These are fine though.[/color][/size][/font]
[/list]
[font=Verdana][size=3][color=#000000]So that’s what I have at the moment. [/color][/size][/font]

[font=Verdana][size=3][color=#000000]The body is currently being aged, so not 100% sure when that will be with me, these things take time.[/color][/size][/font]

[s][font=Verdana][size=3][color=#000000]I also need a nut. I have the original nut that came with the neck, which is brass, and I’d like an exact copy of that made, but not sure where to do that, so I’ll probably just get a curved white nut, and hope it fits OK? [/color][/size][/font][/s][color=#FF0000][font=Verdana][size=3]Edit. Sorted, thanks to tommorichards top man![/size][/font][/color]

[font=Verdana][size=3][color=#000000]I need another 60’s strap button for the back of the headstock.[/color][/size][/font]

[font=Verdana][size=3][color=#000000]Pickups. This is the hardest bit. I have a back up in place, in order to get the thing working and playable, but I’m on the hunt for some 60’s, grey bottom pickups. If anyone spots some, I’d be grateful for the heads up, unless they are £500, like the ones on eBay USA at the mo!![/color][/size][/font]

[font=Verdana][size=3][color=#000000]I think the next post will be when the body arrives, or I find some pickups. But, it’s getting there. [/color][/size][/font]

[font=Verdana][size=3][color=#000000]Here’s the hardware pics;[/color][/size][/font]

[font=Verdana][size=3][color=#000000][/color][/size][/font]

[font=Verdana][size=3][color=#000000]Thanks for looking.[/color][/size][/font]

[font=Verdana][size=3][color=#000000]Rick[/color][/size][/font]

Edited by Rick's Fine '52

Great project - look forward to seeing the final bass.

I'd just go repro for the pickup, there are some great options these days. I've got a some Voodoo (Peter Florence) jazz pickups in a Fender clone, and they are everything you'd want or expect from an original Fender Jazz bass.

[quote name='BassBod' timestamp='1348507566' post='1814548']
Great project - look forward to seeing the final bass.

I'd just go repro for the pickup, there are some great options these days. I've got a some Voodoo (Peter Florence) jazz pickups in a Fender clone, and they are everything you'd want or expect from an original Fender Jazz bass.
[/quote]

Thanks Bassbod.

Yeah, I'm undecided on the pickup, I think I'll get something cheap as a stop-gap, rather than spend £100 on a good new one, rather save that towards some real ones. Not sure yet, I'll see what's out there whilst waiting for the body to arrive.

Ive got a brass slug about the correct thickness for a nut (just give yours a quick measure, the slug is barely over 3mm), and having made a few bone nuts before (my resume, [url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/138446-homemade-bass-bone-nut/page__p__1337438__hl__bone%20nut__fromsearch__1#entry1337438"]http://basschat.co.uk/topic/138446-homemade-bass-bone-nut/page__p__1337438__hl__bone%20nut__fromsearch__1#entry1337438[/url]) i could produce one for you.

Awesome build btw....

[quote name='tommorichards' timestamp='1348512248' post='1814629']
Ive got a brass slug about the correct thickness for a nut (just give yours a quick measure, the slug is barely over 3mm), and having made a few bone nuts before (my resume, [url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/138446-homemade-bass-bone-nut/page__p__1337438__hl__bone%20nut__fromsearch__1#entry1337438"]http://basschat.co.u..._1#entry1337438[/url]) i could produce one for you.

Awesome build btw....
[/quote]

Thanks Tommo. fantastic work on the bone nut, very impressive work. I think the cost of getting one of these made would be unviable though, unless you wanted my brass one as a trade! :P I wish I had the patience to create one, like that. In fact, I've been looking for my brass one today, and it seems to have disappeared, which is not good!