Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

New Dead Spot

Hobbayne

I recently restrung my P Bass with the same EB Slinkys that I always use.
Dropped the action a touch and gave the neck a tweak.
Now I notice there is a significant dead spot on the G sting on the 6th fret.
I am sure this wasnt there before, or was it and was not as noticeable?

Sometimes a slight tweak of the truss rod can fix this, or maybe just move the dead spot somewhere else. You could also try slackening the string off and making sure it's got no twist in it, reseat the ball end in the bridge... unlikely to make a difference but maybe worth a try.

Or spend a few hundred on a replacement graphite neck :yarr:

The graphite neck might not fix it either.

A dead spot is present at that position on most (all?) basses. Some are worse than others but it's usually present, it's most obvious if you try to use pitch-tracking effects like a Boss OC-2 - you'll notice you can't get any useable sound from that note.

The second most common dead spot - mostly found on Fenders and Stingrays IME - is Ab at the fourth fret on the E. Not as obvious as the 6th fret G area one, but quite common and still irritating.

[quote name='thisnameistaken' timestamp='1348152674' post='1810090']
The graphite neck might not fix it either.

A dead spot is present at that position on most (all?) basses. Some are worse than others but it's usually present, it's most obvious if you try to use pitch-tracking effects like a Boss OC-2 - you'll notice you can't get any useable sound from that note.

The second most common dead spot - mostly found on Fenders and Stingrays IME - is Ab at the fourth fret on the E. Not as obvious as the 6th fret G area one, but quite common and still irritating.
[/quote]

I didn't know that, is it a problem brought on by age/use? Because I've had mine for a year and a half and only noticed it recently

[quote name='Jack Cahalane' timestamp='1348159391' post='1810223']
I didn't know that, is it a problem brought on by age/use? Because I've had mine for a year and a half and only noticed it recently
[/quote]

Age and use shouldn't affect it. Some basses have problems, some don't. Changing guage of strings sometimes makes it more noticeable, truss rod tweaks occasionally too.

Also if you've lowered the action maybe you're playing a bit more gently which has made you aware of the problem? If you were giving it more welly you may have been compensating without realising.... and when you get used to the new setup and dead spots you might find you subconsciously fix it again with your playing.

Edited by Fat Rich

[quote name='Fat Rich' timestamp='1348159890' post='1810229']

Age and use shouldn't affect it. Some basses have problems, some don't. Changing guage of strings sometimes makes it more noticeable, truss rod tweaks occasionally too.

Also if you've lowered the action maybe you're playing a bit more gently which has made you aware of the problem? If you were giving it more welly you may have been compensating without realising.... and when you get used to the new setup and dead spots you might find you subconsciously fix it again with your playing.
[/quote]
I've just changed to a heavier gauge and moved the truss rod too, that'll be it then! Thanks

[quote name='4 Strings' timestamp='1348161850' post='1810266']
I believe the dead spot to occur on basses with necks made from a single piece of wood (like a Fender) and can be reduced/expunged by a laminated, or sandwich neck where the different size and often type of wood resonate differently cancelling out any major resonance.[/quote]

My Thumb bass (5-piece (I think? Or seven, whatever!) wenge/bubinga laminate) has a dead spot on that same D#. It's not as bad as the dead spot on my Jazz but it is there, and it's a note I have to avoid when using effects.

Fenders are well known to have a dead spot on the G string around the notes C-D (5th to 7th fret),so a dead
C# isn't surprising.
As others have said,you can put a clamp on the headstock (or something that looks a bit cooler like a
Fat Finger) but you aren't actually eliminating the dead spot this way.By adding mass to the headstock,it
will move the dead spot lower down the neck but it won't get rid of it,only shift it.

[quote name='gub' timestamp='1348242660' post='1811354']
So what causes a dead spot anyway ?
[/quote]

When the bass resonates at a certain frequency and so dampens the string vibration. You can feel the bass buzz a little as you play the note and the energy is wasted in the structure and the string vibration dies quicker than other notes.

[quote name='gub' timestamp='1348242660' post='1811354']
So what causes a dead spot anyway ?
[/quote]

In short, it's when the frequency of a fretted note coincides with the anti-node (point of maximum amplitude) of the resonant frequency of the neck at the same point. In your case the resonant frequency of the neck seems to be around C# (or close) and the anti-node of this resonance just happens to be in the same place as the 6th fret (C#) on the G string. If that's double dutch to you (it was to me until I read up on it a few years ago) then this article here does a good job of explaining it - [url="http://www.acoustics.org/press/137th/fleischer.html"]http://www.acoustics.../fleischer.html[/url]

As 4 strings says above, you will usually feel a strong vibration in the neck when you play a note on a dead spot as most of the energy is sucked into making the neck structure resonate rather than making the string itself vibrate. Another test for a dead spot is to hold the headstock against something really solid like a door post and then play the problem note. When you do this the 'dead' note should ring out full and strong. This is because when you 'couple' the neck to something of much greater mass the resonant frequency changes. As soon ss you move away from the door post you'll feel the neck start vibrating and the note will die again.

Dead spots aren't unusual and occur on most stringed instruments. Sometimes they're a bit bothersome and sometimes they're so subtle they're hardly noticeable. But they are usually there to some small degree, whatever people with no dead spots may say!

As others have already mentioned, there are various techniques to help minimise or shift dead spots. What you're essentially trying to do is change the resonant frequency of the neck so the resonant anti-node doesn't coincide with a fretted note of the same frequency. Adding mass to the headstock will lower the resonant frequency and reducing mass (eg. a headless bass) will make it higher. A very stiff neck (eg, graphite) has a higher resonant frequency than a regular wooden neck. Different scale lengths also have different resonances (C# or D is a very common resonance for a 34" scale). Changing strings (different load/tension) or tweaking the trussrod can sometimes make a difference. Sometimes not! It's not a precise science. Every bass is different so it's mostly a case of experimenting to see what works.

Edited by ikay

Tried a visegrip yesterday, couldn't find a dead spot anywhere on the neck but then a visegrip is 20 oz! Borrowed a small G-clamp (8oz) and tried that and the dead spot moved a tone down. Seems that the thing to do is add just the right weight to get the dead spot where you don't mind it. Maybe even the smallest change of mass, cutting the strings longer or shorter might be enough to make it more or less noticeable? Looks like an evening with bluetack and bits of metal for me!

[quote name='Doddy' timestamp='1348230029' post='1811139']
Fenders are well known to have a dead spot on the G string around the notes C-D (5th to 7th fret),so a dead
C# isn't surprising.
As others have said,you can put a clamp on the headstock (or something that looks a bit cooler like a
Fat Finger) but you aren't actually eliminating the dead spot this way.By adding mass to the headstock,it
will move the dead spot lower down the neck but it won't get rid of it,only shift it.
[/quote]

that buggers any attempt at the 'usual' fingering for 'I feel good - James Brown' then does't it! I mean, don't these people *think* of the instruments used to play their music? ;)

[quote name='thisnameistaken' timestamp='1348223573' post='1811012']
My Thumb bass (5-piece (I think? Or seven, whatever!) wenge/bubinga laminate) has a dead spot on that same D#. It's not as bad as the dead spot on my Jazz but it is there, and it's a note I have to avoid when using effects.
[/quote]

I'm surprised, try another if you get the chance. I have a Jaydee, mahogany laminate neck, no dead spots.

Funnily enough for certain styles (dinner jazz, maybe old style funk) the sound of the dead spot is fab and I wish it was everywhere. Maybe need a body made from our pine kitchen table!