Why become a member? ×

running an 8 ohm and a 4 ohm cab into an ampeg PF-500...hmmm safe?

skidder652003

hello
well im looking for a 210 cab to add to my 8 ohm 115, so far no luck!
Obviously i want an 8 ohm 210 to add so i get the required 4 ohm 500w max load.
However havent seen too many 8 ohm cabs but a few 4 ohm 210's out there.
Im sure this has been asked before but has anyone run this config - one x 8 ohm and one x 4 ohm cabs into an amp with a 4 ohm minimum impedance? Did you blow up? Is it wise? (probably no!)
Any advice greatly appreciated!

[quote name='xgsjx' timestamp='1347710534' post='1804207']
If you like the sound of your 15, why not get another 15?
[/quote]
ive got another 15 (an ashdown) but its a bit wooly when they're togeather (and a pain to shift) so i though a good quality 210 would give me a bit more punch (ideally a warwick 211 to go with my warwick 115).

[quote name='skidder652003' timestamp='1347709860' post='1804198']
Im sure this has been asked before but has anyone run this config - one x 8 ohm and one x 4 ohm cabs into an amp with a 4 ohm minimum impedance?
[/quote]Minimum load means just that, the minimum load you may safely use. 8 ohms plus 4 ohms is 2.7 ohms.

[quote name='skidder652003' timestamp='1347711617' post='1804225']
ive got another 15 (an ashdown) but its a bit wooly when they're togeather (and a pain to shift) so i though a good quality 210 would give me a bit more punch (ideally a warwick 211 to go with my warwick 115).
[/quote]

Could well also be wooly with a 2x10. Best way is always going to be more of the same cab you do like the sound of for the same sound but louder, rather than piling up cabs you don't like, which just gets messier.

[quote name='skidder652003' timestamp='1347709860' post='1804198']
hello
well im looking for a 210 cab to add to my 8 ohm 115, so far no luck!
Obviously i want an 8 ohm 210 to add so i get the required 4 ohm 500w max load.
However havent seen too many 8 ohm cabs but a few 4 ohm 210's out there.
Im sure this has been asked before but has anyone run this config - one x 8 ohm and one x 4 ohm cabs into an amp with a 4 ohm minimum impedance? Did you blow up? Is it wise? (probably no!)
Any advice greatly appreciated!
[/quote]

Buy a decent quality 15 inch speaker, like a eminence kappalite, and fit it in your Ashdown cab. These are the ones Barefaced cabs use in their compacts and have an extended frequency range. That should get rid of the wooliness and be cheaper than buying a new cab.

[quote name='gjones' timestamp='1347712848' post='1804249']
Buy a decent quality 15 inch speaker, like a eminence kappalite, and fit it in your Ashdown cab. These are the ones Barefaced cabs use in their compacts and have an extended frequency range. That should get rid of the wooliness and be cheaper than buying a new cab.
[/quote]
great idea thanks.

[quote name='skidder652003' timestamp='1347718186' post='1804312']
eminence kappalite,
eeeek seen the price of em!!!
[/quote]

Try another with a similiar frequency range but with a normal driver. The neodynium driver in the kappalite pushes the price up. They use the neodynium to make the speaker much lighter but there's no difference in the sound with a normal driver (it's just heavier).

The eminence Kappa is just £68. The kappa pro is £100. I just bought an eminence kappa for £40 from Blue Aran as graded stock. It had a small crease on the cone but was tested and sounds fine. Received it next day - great service.

[url="http://www.bluearan.co.uk/index.php?search=emminence+kappa&x=0&y=0"]http://www.bluearan....e+kappa&x=0&y=0[/url]

Edited by gjones