Why become a member? ×

Is Peavey gear any good?

alwoodcock

[quote name='cheddatom' timestamp='1347032537' post='1796275']
some people struggle when borrowing my amp but it does tend to be people who EQ by eye, rather than by ear (not saying that's you)
[/quote]

It certainly isn't; if there was ever anyone who eqs by ear it's me. Just never, ever liked the gear. If I was on a desert island and the only bass rig left was Peavey I'd take up ukelele.

I love their speakers....never been a fan of their amps, apart from the old 300w mkII amps. I had a Firebass head on hire in Spain once and I didn't bond with it in anyway at all. I played through an SVT on the last two nights and the cabs were spot on. Quite impressed.

Peavey is fine, no nonsense and solid. However if I had 300/400 to spend on an amp (and I did) I'd buy a Harke LH 500 (I also did, although this time last year it was priced at 250 !) (sorry the pound sign on my keyboard has disappeared ?)

Edited by daz

I swear by my Tour 700, loud and reliable, sure it weighs a bit but it's more than manageable. The sound when running the EQ flat is good, but any EQ'ing I tend to rely on my Sansamp PBDI for.

Played it once through a TX410 but didn't really get on with it too well, but the newer TVX210 I tested in a shop was brilliant.

[quote name='daz' timestamp='1347136710' post='1797394']
Peavey is fine, no nonsense and solid. However if I had 300/400 to spend on an amp (and I did) I'd buy a Harke LH 500 (I also did, although this time last year it was priced at 250 !) (sorry the pound sign on my keyboard has disappeared ?)
[/quote]

Thomann are selling 'em for less than that today! [url="http://www.thomann.de/gb/hartke_lh500.htm"]http://www.thomann.d...artke_lh500.htm[/url]

The sound won't be to everybodys taste, but it's an awful lot of amp for the money IMO, and would still leave enough from a 400 quid budget to get a perfectly gigable cab to go with it.

As for Peavey gear - if it sounds good. go for it. Chances are, it'll outlive you...

Edited by barkin

Just picked up a Hartke HA3500 + tuner + case from a very nice and helpful guy on this very forum!

Then picked up a Marshall 7041 400 watt 4X10 cab today....Luverrrrly! Very happy. Just need a bass now, having been p*ssed about by somebody else on this very forum!

Recommend something second hand around £250

[quote name='alwoodcock' timestamp='1347012534' post='1795923']
I need to get a bass amp for around £300-400 and, looking at second hand gear there are one or two Peavey amps around. Any good?
[/quote]

I've used a Max 160 head into an Ampeg B115E cab for several years. Simple & easy to transport & loud enough for most pubs/WMC's. I get the sound I like out of it.

Made in the USA they are manufactured to a high standard & are servicable, if ever necessary, as all components are discrete. Yes they are on the heavy side. They employ 'traditional' circuitry & are not flimsy. So, reliable - very, sophisticated - not.

I did have the max 450+210+115 complete Peavey rig which was just to powerful for my needs. The Deltabass, Nitrobass & Firebass are the same as the Max 160, 450 & 700. This series was discontinued for the Tour 450 & 700.

I like my Peavey Max head & bought another one, just in case, but I've never used it & now I don't bother taking it as backup. For me, Peavey are good workhorses.

PV any good...?? er, no, not really....but bang for buck and if you can accept their sound then it is unlikely to let you down.

I would file it under functional and sturdy and there is a lot to be said for that so if you can use the sound, then there is a load of it still about.
Not tried their new amps though but then neither am I likely to, tbh.
P.A gear will do depending on how discerning you can afford to be....the sound should be acceptable but not stunning..

Sorry to go against the grain