Why become a member? ×

My Crap Bass

wishface

[quote name='luke Ray-Von' timestamp='1347153904' post='1797543']
Get a set up the will cost around 60 to £100 to level your frets stone the, etc which will help with the intonation etc will feel so much better
[/quote]

+1

this just seems the most reasonable way to proceed at this point. Much cheaper than a new bass, which may still need a proper set up anyway.

I'm out.

[quote name='wishface' timestamp='1347188189' post='1797739']
starting to get some nasty fretbuzz on the a string when playing the 1st fret. Can't really take the action high enough without the string being too high.
[/quote]

That sounds to me like you've either got a high fret, or that the break angle is too shallow.

[quote name='Ghost_Bass' timestamp='1347380302' post='1800015']
Why don't you want to tell us wich town you live in? There's a lot of members trying to see if they can pass near you to help you out FOR FREE!!!

What the hell are you waiting for?!!

:blink:
[/quote]

nah, why make life easier, eh? :lol:

[quote name='Ghost_Bass' timestamp='1347380302' post='1800015']
Why don't you want to tell us wich town you live in? There's a lot of members trying to see if they can pass near you to help you out FOR FREE!!!

What the hell are you waiting for?!!

:blink:
[/quote]

Some people don't like the idea of publishing their address on a public forum for the world to see, it is understandable. I don't suffer this particular paranoia myself, but I can understand the logic I guess.

[quote name='brensabre79' timestamp='1347441590' post='1800723']
Some people don't like the idea of publishing their address on a public forum for the world to see, it is understandable. I don't suffer this particular paranoia myself, but I can understand the logic I guess.
[/quote]

nobody asked for an address, or a name.
A town, an area is enough.
I find it strange, amusing and a little sad at the same time. It must be terrible to live with so much fear of... of I can't imagine what, really.

[quote name='mcnach' timestamp='1347446660' post='1800826']
I find it strange, amusing and a little sad at the same time. It must be terrible to live with so much fear of... of I can't imagine what, really.
[/quote]

Nameless fear is the best kind.

[quote name='mcnach' timestamp='1347446660' post='1800826']

[/quote]

Nothing amusing about it really, it's a terrible thing to live with, and it destroys lives :(

Anyway, enough speculation... :)

right, i got the strings on yesterday. They are wound correctly and have settled more or less. However the E string is experiencing all the same symptoms it did before. The volume issue is clearly down to the quality of the pickup the quality of which, unsurprisingly, is commensurate with the price of the instrument. Other than being new better strings than were on previously everything is exactly the same. There is fret buzz that only seems to have appeared after I adjusted the truss rod (which isn't easy when the strings are on) on the 1st fret at the E and A strings. This wasn't there before.

[quote name='wishface' timestamp='1347529633' post='1801959']
The volume issue is clearly down to the quality of the pickup the quality of which, unsurprisingly, is commensurate with the price of the instrument.
[/quote]

Cobblers, there people out there playing pro gigs on basses that cost a fraction of yours. Get your bass set up properly.

right, i got the strings on yesterday. They are wound correctly and have settled more or less. However the E string is experiencing all the same symptoms it did before. The volume issue is clearly down to the quality of the pickup the quality of which, unsurprisingly, is commensurate with the price of the instrument. Other than being new better strings than were on previously everything is exactly the same. There is fret buzz that only seems to have appeared after I adjusted the truss rod (which isn't easy when the strings are on) on the 1st fret at the E and A strings. This wasn't there before.
[/quote]

Out of interest is the E string still quiet when you fret the 12[sup]th [/sup]fret? If so your problem may actually lie with EQ.

Also I would suggest having another look at the way your pickup is sat. Is it all the way up or all the way down? Is the pickup level across or higher on the side of the treble strings? If it's higher on the side of the treble strings, lower the pickup on that side only and it should balance the volume.

Like most others here, I doubt that it's really the basses quality in question here.

There is fret buzz that only seems to have appeared after I adjusted the truss rod (which isn't easy when the strings are on) on the 1st fret at the E and A strings. This wasn't there before.
[/quote]

OK We've ruled out crappy strings, next we need to establish what exactly is wrong with your setup. Step by step.
Fretbuzz occurs for a number of reasons, often the truss-rod, but as you are only experiencing the buzz at the lower frets (is that right?) its more likely that the nut has worn down just enough that it is slightly lower than the first couple of frets. So adjusting the truss rod to flatten the curve of the neck (although correct) will make this seem worse.

SO, ignoring the buzz for a minute, check that you have adjusted the truss rod correctly (press down the string at the first fret, and at the last fret at the same time with your thumb on the other hand) and look at the gap between the string and the 12th fret. If there is no relief gap your truss rod is too tight, if there is a huge gap its too loose. Aim for between .25mm and .5mm relief gap.

NEXT, after you've got the relief gap right (and not before) check the action height - distance between the string and 12th fret without touching the strings. On the E string aim for 2.5mm to 3mm gap between the string and the 12th fret. If its less than this you're probably going to get some buzz and you'll have to play very light. on the G string 2mm to 2.5mm is a good action. Adjust the small vertical screws on the bridge saddles until the strings are the right distance from the 12th fret.
If the gap is larger than this and the bridge is screwed down as far as it will go, then the neck angle needs adjusting - this is complex so we can talk about this later if necessary!

OK, once you have set the relief and action correctly if you have any fret buzz, its going to be the nut. It may be blown or just worn down over the years - this happens especially on basses where they use plastic for the nut, but happens to all eventually.

A cheap way to fix this is to pack the nut with paper (and superglue) to raise the string a tiny amount at the nut, its not a permanent fix as it will wear down again eventually. cut some tiny pieces of paper and place them in the nut beneath the string. We are talking fractions of a millimeter here so go sparingly with thin paper and build up a few layers until the buzz stops. Then superglue the paper in (or leave it but it will fall out each time you change strings). Ultimately a new Nut is the answer to this, but this will require a luthier to do it properly, so for now I would do the paper option to see if it works.

[quote name='Adrenochrome' timestamp='1347531141' post='1801985']
Cobblers, there people out there playing pro gigs on basses that cost a fraction of yours. Get your bass set up properly.
[/quote]

Exactly. I've played loads of gigs on basses with a new price of about £200. This can be made to work. I will only accept that it cannot be improved once a pro setup (either paid or by a member here) has been carried out. Until then, this thread is sadly going around in circles.

All the best with it. :-)

[quote name='Adrenochrome' timestamp='1347531141' post='1801985']
[/quote]

You do realise that's a straw man argument. what is it that's not set up correctly then?