Why become a member? ×

Getting tired of being an fx hound?!

woodyratm

Hi guys,
Give me some advise here!

I'm thinking of doing the unthinkable and more of less ditching my pedals. I had a practice in a Tomahawk style band the other night and had my board there, but only used the tuner.... I loved it..

I'm tempted to go Tuner, OC2 and Oxide. Maybe keeping the BEF and hot hand (since they're fun and were a gift)

What would you do? I've just started enjoying my actual basses tone again, and I think fuzz and stuff is just annoying me..
I just want to use fuzz for moments where it would actually benefit the song, as opposed to just now where it's my primary sound.

Cheers

Dave

You don't have to throw them out, just "forget" to take them with you ;)

I don't use effects. Probably because there's plenty other stuff going on in the band at various times/songs (keys, harmonica, tin whistle, various saxophones, trombone as well as the usual guitar, drums and singing) and I think it suits best if I keep the low end clean and tidy.

I think you should be using more of your bass' tone in your band & sticking your pedals in a loop so you can drop some Dubstep in there during the last song. :)

A lot of the songs we play use just my bass with maybe a little chorus, others I use a dry sound & then drop everything on at once for a section & then turn them off again & then theres songs where the FX are part of the song.

I'd keep your effects & just use them when called for.

Come on, mate! Man up!

Turn the blend on full and just destroy everything. People don't want to hear sweet buttery bass; they want dirty synths and fuzz and pitchshifting and ridiculous sub tones. You've got some wick effects and it's taken you a long time to compile them.

Truckstop

I go through phases with effects (see what I did there? :)).
I used to use quite a lot of them, then I went completely the other way & used none for years.
Currently I have about six that I use quite often, and a couple that I'm going to get rid of because I can't stand them (octavers always sound sh*t to me, I've tried loads & hated them all).

If you can afford not to get rid of them then just pack them away in case you ever decide to use them again - replacing a load of effects can be pretty expensive, especially if any of the ones you get rid of acquire "Classic" status after you've ditched them.

I`ve never really been into effects - even on guitar, the only effects I used were reverb and gain, which were both on the amp, different amounts for each, dependent on the song. On bass I prefer to just get a sound I`m happy with, and keep that sound all the time.

Fair enough. I would say if you've got any pedals that were hard to come by or would be otherwise expensive to replace, think about hanging on to them. You can always leave them at home.

I'm mostly playing DB at the moment but when I do play bass guitar I like having my effects available. I do still like the clean sound of my basses, but I also like my effect sounds a lot too. :)

[quote name='Truckstop' timestamp='1346421627' post='1789060']
Come on, mate! Man up!

Turn the blend on full and just destroy everything. People don't want to hear sweet buttery bass; they want dirty synths and fuzz and pitchshifting and ridiculous sub tones. You've got some wick effects and it's taken you a long time to compile them.

Truckstop
[/quote]

+1!! Destroy everything!

But really it's about how you want to sound..i wouldn't sell too many pedals though..you might regret that one day. It all depends what you're playing too, like you said it was a Tomahawk style band where the bass wouldn't use too many fx anyway..I know if I was playing more rock/metal based stuff I probably wouldn't want to be dragging around a load of pedals either

[quote name='phil.i.stein' timestamp='1346508787' post='1790053']
meh.

move on however you wish.

why announce it in the fx forum ?
[/quote]

I was looking for advice regarding fx... Where else would you suggest i had put it?

I think I will keep them for now - just can sit at my feet until I feel they'd work. Thanks folks.