Why become a member? ×

Block Inlays

ritch

I have a 2005 USA Fender Jazz with a maple neck (satin sort of finish - not shiny laquer).

I don't know how possible it would be, but I was wondering if it would be possible to have a luthier retro-fit block inlays/binding to it for the 70's look.

Tell me if this is a stupid idea ... otherwise, does anybody know of a (good) luthier in the South West (I live near Gloucester so Bristol/Birmingham/Oxford would be perfect) that would be able to do this.

Rich

[quote name='stingrayfan' post='188449' date='Apr 29 2008, 09:37 PM']Might be easier/cheaper to buy a new neck with block inlays - think Mighty Mite or Warmoth do a Fender licenced one.

With you on the look though - love block inlays. Why don't Fender do a Jazz with them as standard? They'd sell thousands of them.[/quote]
+1 with blocks ..but pearl on rosewood, and maybe maple, but I really don't like black blocks. Personal taste issue, in case black block lovers are insulted.

A few years ago I asked a local luthier for a quote on retro fitting blocks to a Jazz I had and was quoted £200. Now that was a good few years ago so Id imagine it would be more expensive now. +1 on buying a new neck ans +1000 on the look, I love blocks on Jazz basses.

you could look [url="http://stores.ebay.co.uk/BuildaBass_W0QQssPageNameZstrkQ3amefsQ3amesstQQtZkm"]here[/url].
ive dealt with goerdt a couple of times before,he's very helpfull and his customer service 1st class.he's in the US so shipping costs may be an issue.
i got a jazz of him last year.it had a maple neck with mop block inlays and was stunning.
drop him a line as i know he has other stuff knocking about that doesnt go on his shop page.he also knows a luthier who can get fender necks,worth a look see imo.

Edited by kennyrodg

[quote name='kennyrodg' post='188472' date='Apr 29 2008, 10:09 PM']you could look [url="http://stores.ebay.co.uk/BuildaBass_W0QQssPageNameZstrkQ3amefsQ3amesstQQtZkm"]here[/url].
ive dealt with goerdt a couple of times before,he's very helpfull and his customer service 1st class.he's in the US so shipping costs may be an issue.
i got a jazz of him last year.it had a maple neck with mop block inlays and was stunning.
drop him a line as i know he has other stuff knocking about that doesnt go on his shop page.he also knows a luthier who can get fender necks,worth a look see imo.[/quote]

Interesting parts. Although I can't stand the 'J-bass' font.

[quote name='stingrayfan' post='188449' date='Apr 29 2008, 09:37 PM']Might be easier/cheaper to buy a new neck with block inlays - think Mighty Mite or Warmoth do a Fender licenced one.

With you on the look though - love block inlays. Why don't Fender do a Jazz with them as standard? They'd sell thousands of them.[/quote]

Only option, anything else is a waste of money :)
Chris

[quote name='Born 2B Mild' post='188455' date='Apr 29 2008, 09:43 PM']+1 with blocks ..but pearl on rosewood, and maybe maple, but I really don't like black blocks. Personal taste issue, in case black block lovers are insulted.[/quote]

i think colour wise it depends on the pickguard, unless its a rosewood fretboard, black would just look stupid on rosewood, you wouldn't be able to see it. but on a maple board if you've got a white or pearl pickguard, then pearl blocks look good. anything else you HAVE to have black IMO. i especially hate pearl blocks with a black pickguard, it just doesn't seem to match!!!

[quote name='ednaplate' post='188493' date='Apr 29 2008, 10:29 PM']Another ebay seller worth checking out is Stratosphere. Always loads off stuff.[/quote]

+1. That seller's shop is amazing, you can spend hours trawling thru all the quality stuff they have.

I LOVE Block Inlays. I'm a big fan of MOP blocks on Rosewood, and I'm also a big fan of the black blocks on Maple. I used to HATE the MOP blocks on Maple, but quite recently started to develop a thing for them. Now I have that combo on both my DJ4 and DJ5.

What can I say...I've been converted!! :)

No one has really answered here...sometimes it's simply not about taking a neck off and putting a new one on.

That said, try Dick Knight. Long established luthier, now in their 2nd/3rd generation. I had my Travis Bean refretted by them a loooooong time ago and my guitarist at the time had the neck on his Les Paul shaved and some electrics work done. They build some lovely archtops.

By way of coincidence, I sent them an e-mail this morning for a quote for blocks on my Waterstone.

[url="http://www.knight-guitars.com"]http://www.knight-guitars.com[/url]

Good luck.
P

[quote name='kennyrodg' post='188472' date='Apr 29 2008, 10:09 PM']you could look [url="http://stores.ebay.co.uk/BuildaBass_W0QQssPageNameZstrkQ3amefsQ3amesstQQtZkm"]here[/url].[/quote]
The necks & bodies there badged as "signature" appear to be identical to those on SX basses. If they are they are overpriced.

Thanks all for your responses - definitely an interesting topic I think, as Jazz basses did look incredible in the late 60's/70's. My favourite look is the maple with white pearl inlays, which is what I would get. The rosewood with white also looks amazing. Least favourite is the Geddy Lee black on white look, which has grown on me, but is a little bit contrasty for me.

I should have said in my first post though - I didn't really want to just pull off the neck and stick a new one on it. It took me ages to save up to buy it in the first place, and now it's been around the country with me a few times i'm quite attached to it. So i'm really just looking to see if it's possible to have it modded a bit just to perfect it :)

NancyJohnson - thanks for the link to Knight Guitars; I'm going to drop them an email now. I have had a quote for £300/£400 so far which was a bit pricey I think. I'd happilly spend of the order of £200 - but then would also want to know they were going to do a smart job on it. Did you hear back from them at all?

Rich

Doesnt the geddy lee come standard with a Badass ii bridge and block inlays??

Ive just got a mighty mite neck, feels realllly nice. although I havent actually attached it yet.

[quote name='Jean-Luc Pickguard' post='191319' date='May 3 2008, 07:11 PM']The necks & bodies there badged as "signature" appear to be identical to those on SX basses. If they are they are overpriced.[/quote]
I think they're different to the sx's.The signature stuff was made back in the late 80's/early 90's then stored.When i bought my jazz of goerdt he told me that signature necks are hand made,i dont know if thats common practise or not but hey.However,i could tell that the neck i got was very well made and the attention to detail was spot on.There's some cracking reviews of his gear on harmony central.Of the top of my head there's 2 negative reviews in amongst 40odd positive ones. :)

• 1 month later...

[quote name='lwtait' post='190016' date='May 1 2008, 09:03 PM']i think colour wise it depends on the pickguard, unless its a rosewood fretboard, black would just look stupid on rosewood, you wouldn't be able to see it. but on a maple board if you've got a white or pearl pickguard, then pearl blocks look good. anything else you HAVE to have black IMO. [b]i especially hate pearl blocks with a black pickguard, it just doesn't seem to match!!![/b][/quote]

yeah, looks crap dont it :)

[url="http://imageshack.us"][/url]

Edited by uptonmark