Why become a member? ×

New songs for the set list - covers band

citymariner

[quote name='citymariner' timestamp='1345551851' post='1778698']
This is slightly out of our vocalists comfort spot haha! I played him some deftones to prove that metal wasn't all just white noise and he nearly fell off his chair!
[/quote]
Now that you mention Deftones.. you could do some stuff from White Pony and the new album, as long as you don't mind tuning to "drop-whatever".. :P I suggest Change, Beauty School, Sextape, 976-EVIL, and This Place is Death. Probably not exactly the 'ballad' you're looking for though..
On the same 'not-exactly-ballad' note, here's a few more.. alternative choices: (songs separated by commas)
Little Black Submarines - Black Keys
El Mañana, Every Planet We Reach is Dead, Melancholy Hill - Gorillaz
Dani California, Snow, Stadium Arcadium, Strip My Mind, Wet Sand - RHCP
You Only Live Once, Under Cover of Darkness - The Strokes
Headlights - Morning Parade
Sweet Disposition, Fader - Temper Trap
The High Road, The Ghost Inside - Broken Bells
Chop Suey!, Aerials - SOAD
Stinkfist, H., The Patient, Vicarious, The Pot - Tool
Hope this helps.. :unsure: I apologize for my less 'classic' music taste!

Edited by lxxwj

[quote name='Truckstop' timestamp='1345550448' post='1778648']
[b]un[/b]Luckily my band has a great female singer; [s]we get to [/s][b] who makes us[/b] do Bonnie Tyler and Tina Turner!
[/quote]
;)
fixed....

IMHO ballads make people leave, play fast dancing songs and don't let the ****ers sit down or they won't get back up.
YMMV however....

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1345556271' post='1778765']
Most bands can't play a slow song which is the reason why they stay away from them.
If you are going to pick one..make sure you do it well
[/quote]

Dunno why a band that can nail a fast or even a mid-paced track shouldn't be able to pull off a slower song?

The main problem seems to me to get an audience to listen and not rush en masseto the loo or bar...!

[quote name='Graham56' timestamp='1345554528' post='1778752']
It's not a ballad but why not Bad Company - "Bad Company"

[/quote]
Good call - great song

Edited by peteb

[quote name='peteb' timestamp='1345583494' post='1779212']

Dunno why a band that can nail a fast or even a mid-paced track shouldn't be able to pull off a slower song?

The main problem seems to me to get an audience to listen and not rush en masseto the loo or bar...!

Think you answered your own question there, if the audience rushes to the bar you've not pulled it off
[/quote]

[quote name='PaulWarning' timestamp='1345619162' post='1779414']
[/quote]
[color=#222222]But is that down to the band not being able to perform the ballad well or the audience’s natural preference for faster, more groove based songs that they can dance to or sing along to??[/color]

Edited by peteb

[quote name='peteb' timestamp='1345630029' post='1779605']
But is that down to the band not being able to perform the ballad well or the audience’s natural preference for faster, more groove based songs that they can dance to or sing along to??
[/quote]
The later I would say, ballads do tend to show up dodgy singers though

[quote name='PaulWarning' timestamp='1345637686' post='1779771']
The later I would say, ballads do tend to show up dodgy singers though
[/quote]
Very true!

IME, the occasional ballad can work on pub gigs but you do have to be careful to choose the right one.....

We do 'Learn to fly' which usually go down well, also 'God put a smile upon your face by' Coldplay if the audience is right and even something as slow as 'Run' by Snow Patrol has been known to work with us, it's funny what drunken blokes will sing along to.
I have to say though that the venue and feeling has to be right for proper slowies to work, then come back with a kick in the teeth piece of rock :D .