Why become a member? ×

Was it the amp or the cab that I fell in love with?

stefBclef

[quote name='grandad' timestamp='1345450574' post='1777506']

Your gig-rig is not any 1 item. It is a complete system. If you picture a circle, you-instument-amp-speaker-room-you. The input is you & the output is fedback to you the input, which continually adjusts to achieve the desired outcome. Change any item in that system & the outcome will change.

[/quote]

I like that. And I like the fact that within 48 hours of looking I have found and bought some big heavy Peavey cabs!

[quote name='stefBclef' timestamp='1345491629' post='1778177']
Well I just bought a Peavey 410 and a Peavey 115 TVX so I think I probably have enough heavy Peavey gear for now! But out of interest, how much is your mate looking for and where are they based?
[/quote]
He lives just outside Reading, I've no idea how much he wants though only that he sold it on ebay but the buyer didn't turn up. I'll ask though.

Trying to answer the original question regarding speaker sizes, I concurr with the generally held view that 15's tend to favour the low fundamental frequencies & the low mid's which we associate with warmth/fullness/roundness. 10's tend to favour the higher mid's which we interpret as punch/attack/clarity. 12's favour the mid's & hence are favoured by lead guitarists.

It follows then that a mix of the 2 sizes would meet all requirements but other sources of advice mention the quagmire of mixing different cone sizes in the same speaker array & that it's a hit & miss situation with good & bad results. A 1x15 + 210 pair recommended by a manufacturer should be matched apparently to avoid phasing problems. I assume the phasing problem comes about due to the different dispersion characteristics of 10's & 15's.

I note that virtually every rule about speakers is contested by experience & although I find the subject fascinating I fear I shall never gain a satisfactory understanding of it.

Edited by grandad

[quote name='grandad' timestamp='1345530967' post='1778445']
I note that virtually every rule about speakers is contested by experience & although I find the subject fascinating I fear I shall never gain a satisfactory understanding of it.
[/quote]

You shall gain satisfaction by playing through 'em though!! That's the best thing, trust your ears. I [b]think[/b] it was the cab I fell in love with, but I won't know for sure until I pick up these Peavey cabs and try 'em out!

You had enough volume displacement (two decent 15"s), the cab positioned in a good spot acoustically for the lows and a dispersion pattern that suited the cab position and room acoustics. I wouldn't bet on the 4x10"+1x15" stack replicating this experience.

[QUOTE][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Trying to answer the original question regarding speaker sizes, I cocurr with the generally held view that 15's tend to favour the low fundamental frequencies & the low mid's which we associate with warmth/fullness/roundness. 10's tend to favour the higher mid's which we interpret as punch/attack/clarity. 12's favour the mid's & hence are favoured by lead guitarists.[/QUOTE][/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]If you stopped concurring with these generally held but incorrect views then you'd have more of a chance of understanding! ;)[/font][/color]

[quote name='alexclaber' timestamp='1345541239' post='1778527']
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]If you stopped concurring with these generally held but incorrect views then you'd have more of a chance of understanding! ;)[/font][/color]
[/quote]

Sorry... Had to :lol:

[quote name='alexclaber' timestamp='1345541239' post='1778527']
You had enough volume displacement (two decent 15"s), the cab positioned in a good spot acoustically for the lows and a dispersion pattern that suited the cab position and room acoustics. I wouldn't bet on the 4x10"+1x15" stack replicating this experience.

[/quote]

Just trying to understand this mate. Are you saying that the two decent 15's was the key to the rig sounding how it did (of course coupled with the room acoustics and other things) and a rig with a 115 and 410 would not yield similar results? But you also say that the view that larger speakers favour lower frequencies is wrong. So couldnt a 410 do just a good a job as the 115?

Thanks for the info.

I've always thought of the 2x15 4ohm cab as the 'quintessential' reggae cab (on the basis that 18's are pretty rare!). I'm sure there's a zillion other cabs that can cover the tonal spectrum & room acoustics and all that other associated stuff are going to make a difference but there is something a bit special about a pair of, decent quality, 15's thudding away in a reggae setting.

Thing to watch out for is that they can over-power everything if they don't fit the room acoustics well - although some judicious amp tweaking should be able to cure this.

Some of those old Peavey Black Widows can sound great. A mate of mine had a 1x15, large enclosure, BW cab and he played a '76 P through it with a Peavey head and used to be able to get a great Jean Jacques Burnel tone from it.

Given how little money these tend to go for it might be worth a try out with one for a while and see how you get on?

I've just read the "Technical Information" again on the Barefaced site. Good source of info' & interestingly they seem to frown on the 410 configuration & don't offer it. Yet the 410 is so popular nowadays among pro's & amateurs alike!

There are however just to many variables for me to remember so I'll just rely on my ears from now on even though I'm slowly but surely going deaf.

It would be interesting to hear your opinions when you get your hands on those cab's "stephBclef", especially every which way, i.e. 115, 410, 115+410 stack, then try 410+115 stack.

I heard somewhere that a 2x15, 6x10 and 8x10 will give you a naturally pronounced hump at 100hz. I guess as a result of the coupling effect of the multiple (same drivers). Could be a load of chuff though!! Also I have always been impressed with the old peavey stuff, it sounds very cool and is loud and reliable. Do not think the same of the newer amps cabs thoughno where near as good. Also where was the amp if it was in a corner of a room you will also get a enhanced bass response.

[quote name='stefBclef' timestamp='1345548920' post='1778620']Just trying to understand this mate. Are you saying that the two decent 15's was the key to the rig sounding how it did (of course coupled with the room acoustics and other things) and a rig with a 115 and 410 would not yield similar results? But you also say that the view that larger speakers favour lower frequencies is wrong. So couldnt a 410 do just a good a job as the 115?[/quote]

I'm saying that all the components contributed. You were liking the tone of the rig through the mids and high and that also is affected by the dispersion. That Peavey 4x10" doesn't sound like those Peavey 1x15"s, and the dispersion isn't as good, so the tone will be different. It will move as much air so the bottom may be similar, assuming the two cabs couple fairly well. I'd recommend stacking the 1x15" on top of the 4x10" and that should get you closer to the tone of the 2x15" rig, than the traditional 4x10" on top of 1x15" arrangement. Suck it and see!

Aston Barrett mainly used 410's, so 15’s and 18’s isn’t the only "sound" of reggae.

Those old 80's Peavey BW 115's were wonderful. If they were a quarter of the weight I'd still be using mine.

I briefly used their 215 cab but it didn't sound as good to me.

Edited by chris_b

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1345644577' post='1779927']
Aston Barrett mainly used 410's, so 15’s and 18’s isn’t the only "sound" of reggae.

Those old 80's Peavey BW 115's were wonderful. If they were a quarter of the weight I'd still be using mine.

I briefly used their 215 cab but it didn't sound as good to me.
[/quote]

Family man generally ( In the past) used an 8x10 and a jazz bass, a good reggae tone is what you take away not add. I.e rollaway the top and leave the bottom end alone, gives a fat defined tone . Big cabs like a 2x15 and 6x10 8x10 usually have a natural 100hz bump emphasis, which helps this. Aston's and others, tone comes from the fact that he tone bleeds his jazz. Basicially if you turn both volumes down equally on a jazz it rolls the top end off giving a righteous fat Ashanti tone!!

[quote name='dan670844' timestamp='1345651869' post='1780063']
Basicially if you turn both volumes down equally on a jazz it rolls the top end off giving a righteous fat Ashanti tone!!
[/quote]

Is this true? I'm gonna have to try it with my bass (though it's not a Jazz).