Why become a member? ×

Just created my bands website- what do you think? Have I missed anything?

tonyclaret

Couple of quick comments:

1. Check the quality of your background photos. Some of them look a bit blocky and pixelated, which makes the site looks a touch amateurish in places. To solve this start by using high resolution images - i.e. straight out of a good quality digital camera on a high setting (the file size needs to be [u]at least[/u] 1 or 2Mb if they're in jpeg format, ideally much larger). Re-size the images to fit your website's background template, which is probably something like 1280x768 pixels (or whatever size you chose to use)... and [i]then[/i] reduce the image resolution to 72dpi. This should ensure the images stay sharp when compressed. Hope that makes sense?!

2. Drop the line about being the "UK's most wanted function band". I used to work in the music press and statements like that never do you any favours.

Other than that it looks good! I like the rogue's gallery in particular.

I just wanted to say that I gave a listen to the 'Piece of my Heart' track; I'd like to congratulate you on the production and performance, with a special mention for the drum mix. An enormous 'popping' snare, and full ringing toms, elegantly played. Full marks; if you get that sound (plus the rest, of course...) 'live', then you shouldn't be wanting for gigs, i would suggest. Excellent vocals, both Ruby and bv on top, but my hat is doffed for the drum mix. I enjoyed that.
That is all.

White text on a black background is never easy to read, and as you get older ... it gets harder. :angry:

When your font moved into italics in certain places, I found it really tiring to read, and gave up pretty quickly. I'm middle-aged, with good eyesight, using a good monitor.

Bear in mind that your site will be viewed by people using a wide range of monitors, and an even wider range of settings. What looks perfectly clear and legible on your own monitor may look very different at different resolutions.

[quote name='Skol303' timestamp='1345328759' post='1776419']
Couple of quick comments:

1. Check the quality of your background photos. Some of them look a bit blocky and pixelated, which makes the site looks a touch amateurish in places. To solve this start by using high resolution images - i.e. straight out of a good quality digital camera on a high setting (the file size needs to be [u]at least[/u] 1 or 2Mb if they're in jpeg format, ideally much larger). Re-size the images to fit your website's background template, which is probably something like 1280x768 pixels (or whatever size you chose to use)... and [i]then[/i] reduce the image resolution to 72dpi. This should ensure the images stay sharp when compressed. Hope that makes sense?!

2. Drop the line about being the "UK's most wanted function band". I used to work in the music press and statements like that never do you any favours.

Other than that it looks good! I like the rogue's gallery in particular.
[/quote]

Yeah, it's set 1024px x 768 I think. Yeah been using the save for web option as adviced to keep the file sizes low for page loading. However this is having a detrimental effect on the pics. May do some experimenting with the sizes and settings to reach a compromise.

• 1 month later...

I don't think you can beat some live videos. If the band are bouncing, look good, and plenty of punters are leaping around having fun, then I'd be more interested in booking you (in a theoretical sense) than some studio tracks - good as they are.

IMHO having a live band at your function is all about performance and audience interaction rather than pure musical skill.

I like the 'wanted poster' look, but it may be a bit too intimidating for someone looking for a 'nice' band for their wedding. Don't forget, it's not the bride & groom you have to please - it's their mothers!!!!! ;)

I'd go and see you in a pub, but I wouldn't book you for a function unless I knew what you looked and sounded like on stage

Hope that helps (or not)

Edited by davehux

[quote name='paul_5' timestamp='1349421636' post='1826019']
Just tried to have a listen and I can't access any samples - I get a white rectangle in the centre of my screen ad nothing else. I'm on OSX 10.8 using safari if this helps. Like everything else though,
[/quote]

will have a look into it, i am on mac myself and it has been playing OK as far as i'm aware. cheers t

[quote name='davehux' timestamp='1349431349' post='1826157']
I don't think you can beat some live videos. If the band are bouncing, look good, and plenty of punters are leaping around having fun, then I'd be more interested in booking you (in a theoretical sense) than some studio tracks - good as they are.

IMHO having a live band at your function is all about performance and audience interaction rather than pure musical skill.

I like the 'wanted poster' look, but it may be a bit too intimidating for someone looking for a 'nice' band for their wedding. Don't forget, it's not the bride & groom you have to please - it's their mothers!!!!! ;)

I'd go and see you in a pub, but I wouldn't book you for a function unless I knew what you looked and sounded like on stage

Hope that helps (or not)
[/quote]

Yes, i agree on the mother in-law statement. We were trying to get away from the unform cheesy look that the majority of functions bands use(nothing wrong with it)so we stood out from the norm, but it may be a shot in the foot going off the short term uptake. A few wedding enquiries, but expected more.
;-(

[quote name='tonyclaret' timestamp='1349420293' post='1826005']
Mmm...bump for help!

Not getting many direct views from google and the visits we do get aren't bring converted to solid bookings.

Getting paranoid now about the structure if the website and the keywords.

?

www.rubyandtherogues.co.uk
[/quote]

This is where your analytics come in.

Look to see what pages people click on after the main page.

If they look at the main page then run away then something is wrong with it. I don't like the time it takes to load and the fact that the background images change. People don't have a lot of imagination, action shot of band, description of how many members and what type of music you play. Less words draws people in and makes them click for more info, more words make if difficult to read and puts people off. Think of mobile users.

Next- where do people go? Order your menu where YOU want them to go.

If you have pages people don't look at either delete them or change the title, see how that goes for a month.

Keep changing until you see patterns developing.

Personally the things that would be important to me are: What do you look like playing?, What's your setlist? How much are you? How do I book you? The rest is window dressing to draw your audience into those points without them having to search for them.

All this is courtesy of oldgit who helped me build a really good working site. Then the band pulled it apart when I left because they didn't understand how other people's minds worked.

Edited by TimR

[quote name='TimR' timestamp='1349470062' post='1826904']

This is where your analytics come in.

Look to see what pages people click on after the main page.

If they look at the main page then run away then something is wrong with it. I don't like the time it takes to load and the fact that the background images change. People don't have a lot of imagination, action shot of band, description of how many members and what type of music you play. Less words draws people in and makes them click for more info, more words make if difficult to read and puts people off. Think of mobile users.

Next- where do people go? Order your menu where YOU want them to go.

If you have pages people don't look at either delete them or change the title, see how that goes for a month.

Keep changing until you see patterns developing.

Personally the things that would be important to me are: What do you look like playing?, What's your setlist? How much are you? How do I book you? The rest is window dressing to draw your audience into those points without them having to search for them.

All this is courtesy of oldgit who helped me build a really good working site. Then the band pulled it apart when I left because they didn't understand how other people's minds worked.
[/quote]

Some great ideas there.
Thanks