Why become a member? ×

Double Stops - Technique tips please

kendall

Hi there, I'm currently learning a few new songs, some of which require a lot of double stops in the playing.

I play predominantly with fingers. My problem arises when I am playing these on two strings that are not adjacent. For example 12 fret on D string and 9th fret on E string. Should I be plucking all three strings or do I just pluck the two fretted strings and ignore the middle string.

Despite a fair bit of practice, I am struggling to get these clean especially with legato slides up and down the neck.

Not sure if there are any tips you can give me, or if its just a case of practice, practice and more practice!

Thought I'd check anyway.

Cheers

Steve

Edited by kendall

I use a kind of "pinching" motion using my finger and thumb.... works for me. Thumb plays downwards on the lower string (the E in this case) and finger upwards on the D. Give it a try!

Edited by Conan

[quote name='Conan' timestamp='1345112209' post='1773593']
I use a kind of "pinching" motion using my finger and thumb.... works for me. Thumb plays downwards on the lower string (the E in this case) and finger upwards on the D. Give it a try!
[/quote]
+1

Try practicing some chrods and get some thumb, index and middle finger action going, this will help with your double stops and give you more fingering options. For instance 12th fret E & D strings & 13th fret G string followed by 12th fret A & G string with 11th on the D, back to the 1st shape, then 14th fret A & G string with 13th on the D. 2nd shape, 1st shape. Instant 12 bar. Have fun.

Hope the above makes sense.

[/quote]

Brilliant! I will give that a try this evening. And EZ Bass - Yes your post makes sense. Thanks.

PS. As for the bagpipes drone - I had got it wrong it was 12 fret on D and 10 fret on E sliding to 11 Fret on D and 9 fret on E!

Cheers everyone - why didn't I think of the thumb thing? :blush:

[quote name='BottomE' timestamp='1345123493' post='1773854']
Can i just ask - what is a double stop?
[/quote]

playing two strings at once - a 'two note chord ' if you like. I think the term is used a lot more for orchestral string instruments like violins etc, but it's appropriate for bass guitar as well.

[quote name='tinyd' timestamp='1345124481' post='1773869']
playing two strings at once - a 'two note chord ' if you like. I think the term is used a lot more for orchestral string instruments like violins etc, but it's appropriate for bass guitar as well.
[/quote]

Thanks. Strange terminology. I do this a lot playing parts of chords but don't see what stopping has to do with it?

[quote name='ras52' timestamp='1345125017' post='1773886']
A place where you can get on or off more than one bus.
[/quote]
Don't give up your day job :P

[quote name='BottomE' timestamp='1345129139' post='1773990']
Thanks. Strange terminology. I do this a lot playing parts of chords but don't see what stopping has to do with it?
[/quote]

Because the finger "stops" the string, i.e. defines, with the bridge, its vibrating length.

[quote name='BottomE' timestamp='1345129139' post='1773990']
Don't give up your day job :P
[/quote]
Actually I already have. Unfortunately I start a new one shortly, albeit one with shorter hours, which I hope will give me more time and energy to think up bad jokes.

[/quote]

Nailed it last night! Superb tip - thanks a lot!