Why become a member? ×

Gibson Thunderbird Non Reverse reissue (September)

NancyJohnson

• 3 weeks later...

[quote name='Billy Apple' timestamp='1352400917' post='1862653']
I wonder why they could not get the three pots in a straight line with the jack below or to the side or something. Aesthetically looks poorly thought out.
[/quote]

Which is how the original layout was. I wonder if it has something to do with the cable passing over the controls when tucked through the strap. The new layout would be ergonomically better if not so aesthetically pleasing.

• 1 month later...

[quote name='Cosmo Valdemar' timestamp='1352384411' post='1862408']
They sound (and look) good.
[/quote]

....making them look and sound [i]nothing[/i] like the originals. Whether or not that's good or bad is in the ear of the beholder.

For me it's a bad thing.

Wanted one of these for years but this issue has put me right off. A good reissue might have sold me one each of these but alas I shan't be buying.

Shame.

[quote name='mckendrick' timestamp='1356114222' post='1907127']
....making them look and sound [i]nothing[/i] like the originals. Whether or not that's good or bad is in the ear of the beholder.

For me it's a bad thing.

Wanted one of these for years but this issue has put me right off. A good reissue might have sold me one each of these but alas I shan't be buying.

Shame.
[/quote]

I was actually have a dig at Gibson - I suggested they no longer use chrome hardware and pickups because they look and sound good. My point being that Gibson's current TB incarnation isn't a patch on the originals...

[quote name='Billy Apple' timestamp='1355783355' post='1902798']
Has anyone had an order completed within Europe?
[/quote]

Not yet. Key Music told me that Gibson would be fulfilling all orders globally, so I will still be on track for mid-January. Elsewhere (I think LBO), there was talk of these being a limited run anyway...400 of each model was mentioned.
P