Why become a member? ×

Which Compressor pedal?

andydye

So, I have an EBS multicomp and kinda like it, it's always on and just cleans everything up a bit, very handy...

There are songs that would benefit from a volume boost and a bit more compression in certain parts to aid slapping noises to cut through...

Is there a compressor that sounds really good (like the ebs or preferably better) AND has a delectable and controllable second stage?

or

Would a clean boost do that job loads better, if so, which one?

Also, what better comp pedals are out there too?

Ta folks

Edited by andydye

You must look at the TC Electronic Nova Dynamics. Sadly discontinued but would fit the bill perfectly. Its also a brillant triple band compressor as well as full band, boost, noisegate and a whole range of AB options due to clever configuration.

The TC does look to be quite the device and surely some of that tech crept into the RH heads spectra comp function?

There are more learned folks than me here though. My Effectrode valve comp is a lovely addition but not as fully featured for what you're asking.

[quote name='krispn' timestamp='1344940202' post='1771308']
The TC does look to be quite the device and surely some of that tech crept into the RH heads spectra comp function?
[/quote]

Kinda - the spectral functions from the likes of the Triple C, C300 and C400 were ported over to the RH heads and Nova Dynamics pedal. So yes, they share similar algorithms . The RH compressor is bass specific whereas the Nova Dynamics offers you a bit more flexibility with input sources - but bass is does soooo well! (It's a triple band compressor, unlike the multicomp for example that is only dual band.)

Good question that!

You could go with a TC Nova, it may well do exactly what you want.

It sounds to me like you use the EBS as an always on compressor.

You may well be looking for something that doesnt really comrpess more so much as more obviously. The way to get comression to be a bit more obvious is careful tweaking of attack and release times alongside the ratio and threshold, you need the compressor action to come in a tad earlier, and release fast enough to catch all the individual peaks of quick slap passages. Very different from the action on the EBS as you likely have it set up.

As always the best sounding compressor pedals IMO are the Joe Meek Floor Q (I just love the action on this, it sounds so fat its ridiculous!) and the Markbass Compressore. Both pedals allow the kind of fine tuning I'm talking about, I would put either after the EBS or turn off the EBS when you have thes eon for a more overtly comrpessed sound.

[quote name='51m0n' timestamp='1344948114' post='1771470']
Joe Meek Floor Q
Markbass Compressore
[/quote]
Thanks for the superb answer 51mon, will have a proper look at the Joe meek as it runs on normal power rather than a 12v supply like the markbass so will more easily slot into my setup...

• 3 weeks later...

[quote name='krispn' timestamp='1346575709' post='1790616']
Another thing to think about is if you're gonna be switch back and forth between those two comps is a sneaky we A/B box to easily switch on the fly without tap dancing or simple choosing the TC with presets.

Keep us posted on how you get on :)
[/quote]

Thanks matey! Loads to consider here...

In the meantime I've agreed a trade -my ebs for an aguilar tlc- which will give me a bit more control in general...and something new to try

first impressions of the TLC are that it's leaps and bounds better (for me) than the EBS, my bassic sound is tighter and cleaner without any false grit, a great start!

...now to find a clean boost pedal or maybe a Joe Meek FloorQ...