Why become a member? ×

Pub Rock!

Happy Jack

back in 78 ish me and my mates used to think of dr feelgood as pub rock - probably because a great number of local gigging pub bands at that time were doing the whole feelgood/9belowzero thing

but at the same time i never considered be bop deluxe a pub rock band despite them possibly self-referring as a pub rock band in their early stages with the lyrics to axe victim describing one of their own gigs in a Hull pub going particularly pear shaped) :D

[quote name='pst62' timestamp='1344709455' post='1768284']
Aye he's a top quality guitarist, wish I could be there, but sadly York is about 300 miles north of me these days.
Dunno if you've heard this before, but it's a great cover from another great guitarist who you'd think was very unlikely to cover a BBD song.

[media]http://youtu.be/-h76l7zxWMo[/media]
[/quote]

great cover!

Edited by steve-bbb

[quote name='pst62' timestamp='1344688607' post='1767997']
The Pirates yeah [/quote]

Good call.

Three south London thugs in dodgy stage gear and perhaps the best pub rock band of all. The drummer was moonlighting from his jobs as a wrestler and bouncer. The bass player / singer sold used cars and the guitarist did session work for Tom Jones (or was it Englebert?).

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IS8uC7ea9oE[/media]

I remember seeing them at a gig in Hull when some numpty lobbed a pint glass (the heavy kind with a handle) at the guitarist. Caught him smack in the face and shattered, but he carried on playing till the end of the song then wobbled a bit. Blood everywhere.

The MC demanded the culprit be brought backstage and a skinny, terrified little f**ker was seen legging it towards the door as fast as his (at this point unbroken) legs would carry him.

[color=#ffffff].[/color]

Edited by skankdelvar

[quote name='Spoombung' timestamp='1344695596' post='1768094']
I associate Pub Rock with a dearth of interesting musical ideas and the gloom and boredom of my youth in Ipswich.
[/quote]
'Pub rock' was not really about interesting musical ideas, it was about entertaining an audience while they drank a lot of beer, ensuring that they would come back next week with more mates to do the same again.

[quote name='Paul S' timestamp='1344767999' post='1768838']
The Pirates! I saw them *fairly* recently - this century, rather than the the last, so maybe +/-2005 - and they were not quite as frantic but still on the money.
[/quote]

Time, the conqueror.

Frank retired with emphesyma, Johnny's mostly on a golf course in Spain IIRC and Mick's dead :( , though his two sons occasionally go out as The Green Brothers. The Tele custom goes with them.

[quote name='Paul S' timestamp='1344771413' post='1768892']
That tele - looks like the exact same one all the way through - was it?
[/quote]

Pretty much. He bought it in 1976-77 when The Pirates reformed and used it till he died, apart from a short diversion onto a blue Peavey Tele-like in the 90's, for which sin he got some serious stick from the fans (a bit like Wilko and his infamous Strat diversions).

He used the Tele Custom with McCartney and a Strat with Van Morrison and Bryan Ferry. In the early days he just used a standard Tele. FWIW, he used to teach guitar to schoolkids right up to his death.

All of this is severely subject to IIRC.

[quote name='pst62' timestamp='1344784115' post='1769068']
Best of the Pub Rock lot IMO. ([i]Eddie & The Hot Rods[/i])
[/quote]

As I'm sure you know, the original lead singer was Lew Lewis. Fell out with manager Ed Hollis (the 'Eddie', if you see what I mean) so they hired Barrie Masters instead. I mention this because the band 'Lew Lewis Reformer' is definitely worth checking out if anyone likes that Feelgoods / Canvey thing.

Edited by skankdelvar

• 3 weeks later...