Why become a member? ×

Barefaced Big One £450 Price Drop (collection from Manchester)

Fellrunner

Band is currently crumbling and recent delivery of a new Compact means i cant justify hiding this monster in the dining room any longer.

One of Alex's early flagship models, dont expect furniture standard fit and finish, this is definitely built for function rather than style, which suits me but isnt everyones cup of tea.

Soundwise its incredible, i never came close to exploring its potential and sadly only gigged with it once. It goes very low, check out the cat-swallowing ports, and very loud.

A few dings here and there, viewing welcome.

[attachment=115256:Big3.JPG]

[attachment=115257:Big2.JPG]

[attachment=115258:Big1.JPG]

Edited by Fellrunner

Superb cab, this. Seeing as it's no longer a current model, it's worth reminding people that this has the wheels at the back so that it can be easily towed across a pub car-park with one hand.

The finish ain't as pretty as later models, but it is very hard-wearing.

[b]Massive bottom end, mid range punch, treble clarity and, for their weight, the loudest deepest bass cabs you can buy...[/b]

Is that another fifteen? Why yes it is, a very very special [b]one[/b]. And what's that other speaker in there? It's six and a half inches of punch, clarity, growl and sweetness.
[b]But it's just a big speaker and a little speaker, all inone box. I've seen cabs like that from other makers.[/b]

The magic is inside the box - a full 2-way crossover, akin to that found in the very best studio monitors, which splits the sound between the two speakers, so each speaker can concentrate on doing what it does best. No other crossover found in a bass guitar cab has this complex topology, with very steep slopes so it is all but impossible to overpower the midrange driver, so that you get no interference between drivers either side of the crossover point, and so that you get the most accurate and realistic sound whether you're the bassist, a bandmate or a fan.
[b]Big One - our flagship model[/b]

The massive port may give away that there is something different about this classic looking cab. So what is going on behind that silver cloth grill? Well it's a very very special fifteen plus a tiny giant of a six and a half inch midrange driver.
[b]Prepare for a tone, bottom and output revelation[/b]

Featuring a extremely high excursion neo woofers in an oversized ported enclosures gives the [b]Big[/b] [b]One[/b] the ability to move more air and give you a fatter high SPL bass sound than most cabs twice their size (and how many more times its weight?!)
Because this woofers is so good at going low it is not good at going high - the rest of your sound comes from an extremely high output 6.5" midrange speaker which gives you more tone and volume than you can believe possible from such a small speaker - it can cut through even the densest rock mix. Not only that but because this speaker is small it disperses your midrange much better than if it were coming from a larger woofer.
Stand anywhere in the room and you will hear almost exactly the same tone - no other bass cab can achieve this!

Why isn't everyone else making cabs like this?

However, it can play louder than many need so for those that don't need such output we offer the [b]Big[/b] Baby. And for those that don't need the incredible clarity and off-axis response of a true 2-way cab with an amazing midrange driver, or the huge deep bass of our unique '[b]Big[/b]Series' woofers we offer the Compact, the Vintage and the Midgets.

[b]DIMENSIONS[/b] 29.5" high x 21" wide x 16" deep WEIGHT 41 lbs SENSITIVITY Similar to a quality 2x12" FREQUENCY RESPONSE Unusually flat response from the deep thick lows to the clear highs RECOMMENDED AMP POWER 200-1000W RMS MAXIMUM OUTPUT Similar to a high quality 6x10" or 2x15" NOMINAL IMPEDANCE 8 ohms

I have one and it is pretty darn good, all you will ever need in one box, i have had the compact and midget combination and this is suits me better. Bargain!!!!!

No mate its the original blurb from the big one info, bit of a give away when it says 'Big one our flagship model'.
The big baby is a 1x12 I think!

Crazy loud awesome cab that is still very light and very easy to move around. That blows 6x10's out of the water!

[quote name='Jigster' timestamp='1344595075' post='1766802']
that's the info off the website for the Barefaced Big baby right?

Is this cab its predecessor then?
[/quote]

This is the very first design that Alex put up for sale. I should know - I bought the very first one.

He designed it to be exactly the right cab for his needs at the time, and that's the only reason I sold mine. My needs are actually better satisfied by a Compact + Midget combination, which is what I use now.

I play strictly old-school finger-style blues-rock, with a small amount of pick work on Status Quo numbers, usually on a Precision. That means I don't need and didn't get much use out of the tweeter.

Playing almost exclusively in pubs, I didn't need the crazy amount of volume the Big One is capable of pushing out.

All of which is fine, but completely fails to explain why I also bought a Super 12 ...

[quote name='dodgnofski' timestamp='1344603953' post='1766989']
This won't last long - if only I had the dosh & didn't have the glass back!! 10,9,8,7,6.............
[/quote]

No need to worry about the glass back. It's light as a feather really, the handle positions make it easy to move on the odd occasion you actually have to lift it. The wheels are dead good the rest of the time. Like wheeling round an empty suitcase.

I moved mine around fine last year even whilst walking with a pronounced limp through sciatica.

Yeah I forgot to point out that it's incredibly light as well, thought people might have guessed that with it being Barefaced.

I've used it with a GenzBenz Streamliner 900 which would run out of steam way before the cab did.

Not happy to see it go and am still toying with selling the Compact instead but not keen to take a hit on something new.

This was mine for several years. It is the best bass cab I ever owned (until Dubster which is a bit like 2 x Big Ones). You will not be disappointed. Light, Loud, low and Hi fi. Wheels on back make for easy transport. The finish is great, is super tough and easy to touch up - though I never needed to.

Bump, as I know this was my cab until recently. It is a great bass cab, clarity, loudness, hifi or grind and good dispersion, you will hear from wide angles across stage. Trouser flapping volume. One hand pick up, the wheels are just super (apart from off road lol). Once you have tried a BF cab you will not go back to anything lesser. The final bonus is, buy this one, build yourself a second sub (identical) - destroy buildings. It is great cab, you will not be disappointed.