Why become a member? ×

Alembic

parker_muse

So, my basschatting friends.

I was under the impression that these were the dogs danglies? I played a spoiler with brand new earnie balls on it and to say the least i was not impresed. It was an early 80's model, and it just sounded lifeless.

Cost? £700.

Anyone else have any experience on alembics?

I think you have to take each on their own merits, and costs. I love the Epics, although the fives can be very heavy...but when you get to Series I or II they can get very expensive, very heavy, have terrible balance....mains power etc

A lot also depends on how well looked after they are. The hardware is all made in house so if you've not set one up before it can be a bit different. So I would generally try and disregard the "shop" setup on any used Alembic. They are very easy to adjust once you understand the hardware (don't try and adjust pickup height until you now what's underneath them). The electronics are all pretty unique, but high quality and modular. I've found them to be pretty helpful at sending replacements if needed.

The F2B preamp is still the best I've heard.

BB

"felt dead"
don't know what that means. you've got set up (Alembics are quite friendly in this area), string choice, pickups.

when I got mine (used 5 string Persuader, quite like a spoiler) the set up and strings were way wrong for me. a bit of time and the thing is just plain great.
the active pickups have incredible range - but I generally prefer the passive ones on my VC. but they are different animals by design.

edit - these are medium scale, and at least with mine, I think it favors a solo bass style more than a keeping down the bottom thing.

placement not right for slap? that would be a good thing, slap bass should be discouraged :)

Edited by gypsymoth

I bought an Alembic new from the states, no bass I have ever played represents what I want to play and sound like better, and I've played some nice basses, I own a v nice 70s Fender I've had two wals and a warwick thumb from the 80s.
The main thing I've noticed with the Alembic is that in large venues (1000+) the clarity and individuality of the bass is not lost, massive focus to the sound and a real weight in the bass. And the electronics (mine are signature) give you a huge range of sounds.

I've played Alembics exclusively for the last 12 years and I've not yet found another bass that comes close to the versatility mine have. I suspect, if the spoiler sounded lifeless, the strings were dead (happens even with new ones). With a decent set of strings, they come alive in the right hands.

Heheh, this post has flushed out some of the Alembic players I see. :)

R5R5 and Alemboid haven't contributed yet though.

Alembics are idiosyncratic instruments. They were originally designed to isolate the string as much as possible from the neck and body to promote sustain etc. etc. If anyone go plays one thinking its going to be like a Stingray or Pre CBS fender then they're guaranteed to be disappointed. However, when its the #1 recording bass for sessions in Nashville, its difficult to argue with that too.

The Series 1 and 2 basses are in a completely different league to the other models, although I think the MK and SC sig basses are at least comparable in terms of playability. What you can expect from Series/Sig basses:

1) Super low action and suppleness
2) Loads of sustain
3) Huge, powerful and hifi sound
4) An impressive amount of versatility
5) Superb craftsmanship
6) Reliability

I can't speak for other basses apart from the Elan 6 I bought off Ped which I know he will mention :huh: The Elan was dark sounding and very heavy to me.

£700 for a Spoiler in good nick is a bargain. However I wasn't that impressed with the Spoilers i played in shops either. Not enough growl for my taste.

[quote name='Crazykiwi' post='188507' date='Apr 29 2008, 10:49 PM']If anyone go plays one thinking its going to be like a Stingray or Pre CBS fender then they're guaranteed to be disappointed. However, when its the #1 recording bass for sessions in Nashville, its difficult to argue with that too.[/quote]

Absolutely re Nashville, when it comes to tone tho, I was playing along to some Bob Marley the other day and recorded (as I often do) I got a surprisingly convincing tone, so they do dull thud as well as hifi.

This:

[url="http://www.psst.co.uk/americanguitars/bass.htm"]http://www.psst.co.uk/americanguitars/bass.htm[/url]

is my local music shop and about 2 mins walk from my house. Amazingly, I have yet to try an Alembic, even though they have a wall full of them.

The batteries put me off.

Only ever played one once (1988) and wasn't impressed - not that there was anything inherently wrong with it, it just didn't float my boat. I may have missed something as I lacked the experience I have now and, not knowing what I didn't know, would have probably missed an opportunity to explore a deeply respected instrument.

Reputations like Alembic's (and Wal's) are not built in a day. They take many years to develop. What I will say is that many of the classic Alembics (not the cheap one like the Epics etc) look stunning. Take a look at their archive of custom models.

[url="http://www.alembic.com/info/fcvault.html"]http://www.alembic.com/info/fcvault.html[/url]

[quote name='BigBeefChief' post='189737' date='May 1 2008, 02:11 PM']This:

[url="http://www.psst.co.uk/americanguitars/bass.htm"]http://www.psst.co.uk/americanguitars/bass.htm[/url]

is my local music shop and about 2 mins walk from my house. Amazingly, I have yet to try an Alembic, even though they have a wall full of them.

The batteries put me off.[/quote]

I have visited that shop a number of times BBC they have some really nice instruments.
I think they have a used series II. give it a try it's very playable.

[quote name='bilbo230763' post='189743' date='May 1 2008, 02:18 PM']Only ever played one once (1988) and wasn't impressed - not that there was anything inherently wrong with it, it just didn't float my boat. I may have missed something as I lacked the experience I have now and, not knowing what I didn't know, would have probably missed an opportunity to explore a deeply respected instrument.

Reputations like Alembic's (and Wal's) are not built in a day. They take many years to develop. What I will say is that many of the classic Alembics (not the cheap one like the Epics etc) look stunning. Take a look at their archive of custom models.

[url="http://www.alembic.com/info/fcvault.html"]http://www.alembic.com/info/fcvault.html[/url][/quote]
I bought 2 custom Wals from Livewire in Cardiff in the 80s, they were lovely. Sold them both at what would be a bargain in todays market.

I played a beautiful 5-string Wal at Cranes in Cardiff not long after it opened. I am not sure but I think Paul Hillman bought it in the end (he had one anyway). It was a blinding bass but I didn't have £1,500 at the time (still don't for that matter!). Paul was an OK player - what's he doing now?

Dreadful to say it but I can't remember where Livewire was.... I recall Gamlins and Gwent Music and, of course, Cranes but where was Livewire?

[quote name='bilbo230763' post='189756' date='May 1 2008, 02:33 PM']I played a beautiful 5-string Wal at Cranes in Cardiff not long after it opened. I am not sure but I think Paul Hillman bought it in the end (he had one anyway). It was a blinding bass but I didn't have £1,500 at the time (still don't for that matter!). Paul was an OK player - what's he doing now?

Dreadful to say it but I can't remember where Livewire was.... I recall Gamlins and Gwent Music and, of course, Cranes but where was Livewire?[/quote]
Pen-y-Lan Rd in roath just off Albany Rd. They also sold Alembics.
My mate Neil worked (woodwind repair) in Gamlins
I bought my Warwik thumb 5 in Gwent Music
Don't know Paul Hillman.

Edited by jakesbass

When I arrived on the Cardiff scene (1988), Paul was playing a 4 string Gibson Grabber. He was playing with the likes of Rob Haddon and Dick Hamer. I saw him a couple of times with the new Wal but then he seemed to disappear. I left S. Wales in 1994 so have lost contact with most of my old colleagues down there but I still get down to see Julian Martin occasionally. I'll ask him what happened to Hillman.

Did you ever see Jon Caulfield play? I gave him some lessons way back. He worked in Cranes (sales).