Why become a member? ×

Experimental Music

JakeBrownBass

[quote name='Bilbo' timestamp='1344193368' post='1761061']
Very Brand X;
[/quote]

That's exactly what I thought.
I liked it, but can sounding like a late 70s fusion band really be classed as "experimental" these days?
Most of the stuff on Percy Jones' "Cape Catastrophe" is more experimental than that clip IMO, and that's over 20 years old.

Does it sound exactly the same every time they play it?

I ain't being arsey with this question. i write experimental stuff from time to time. I studied 20th century contemporary music (minimalism, serialsim, aleatory etc) at uni and fuse it with the pop and jazz rock etc when the feeling takes me.

[quote name='icastle' timestamp='1344198885' post='1761193']
Certainly not my cup of tea. :unsure:

I'm more of a 'verses, choruses and a bit of a tune' sort of guy. :)
[/quote]

Wouldn't have fancied a Wombles / Conlan Nancarrow collaboration then? :)

Not bad. A preset chord sequence and pockets of free-improvisation placed in uneven intervals along the composition. I particularly like the 'false start' mocking the standard jazz 'head'. The structure is novel but the free-impro is fairly standard stuff, IMO. It might be worth hearing more of their stuff to form a better opinion.

BTW this kind of music is all [i]very[/i] readable and [i]not[/i] difficult to understand (or appreciate).

[quote name='Spoombung' timestamp='1344207850' post='1761382']
Not bad. A preset chord sequence and pockets of free-improvisation placed in uneven intervals along the composition. I particularly like the 'false start' mocking the standard jazz 'head'. The structure is novel but the free-impro is fairly standard stuff, IMO. It might be worth hearing more of their stuff to form a better opinion.

BTW this kind of music is all [i]very[/i] readable and [i]not[/i] difficult to understand (or appreciate).
[/quote]I like the little rock.