Why become a member? ×

Experimental Music

JakeBrownBass

• 3 months later...

That's that hair split.....:lol:

There is certainly a sense that some musicains (Hancock, Monk, Jarrett etc) have earned the right to smack the keyboard with their elbow/head/any part of their anantomy. If that's all someone can do, then the credibility of the technique as an artistic choice is compromised.

As someone who's got more John Zorn and Tzadik label music than any sane person should have, I wanted to like this but I'm not convinced. To my mind the best experimental music has some form to it,a sense of going somewhere and interplaying between the instruments within that loose journey. I got no sense of story here, it went nowhere and didn't make me want to find out what happened next.

Steve

How are we defining experimental? Is it instrumentation, structure, musical ambition?

I'd probably call something like this experimental:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZQ6Sk8Aj-SQ[/youtube]

Sure they're using guitar, bass and drums, but the guitarist uses a lot of extended techniques and prepared guitars. I can certainly hear a lot of punk and maybe some thrash influences in there, but they way combine and execute them is certainly pushing the boat out for me.

Something like this as well:

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bzu1-SI7_KY&feature=related[/media]

Or is being experimental more down to completely left-field avant-garde ideas, like Metal Machine Music or John Cage's stuff? Not just combining existing things in a new way but actually coming up with new things?

[quote name='Bilbo' timestamp='1352303864' post='1861332']
That's that hair split..... :lol:

There is certainly a sense that some musicains (Hancock, Monk, Jarrett etc) have earned the right to smack the keyboard with their elbow/head/any part of their anantomy. If that's all someone can do, then the credibility of the technique as an artistic choice is compromised.
[/quote]

Time and time again, over and over again, this argument about knowing the rules before you can break them and 'earning the right' to make a 'noise'.

• 1 year later...
  • 9 months later...

[quote name='BetaFunk' timestamp='1408892634' post='2534367']
If you play enough experimental music does it ever become established and non-experimental music?

[/quote]

I personally hope it turns into 'Pop' as in 'popular' - ie, stuff lots of people will listen to - rather than establishment.

[quote name='Spoombung' timestamp='1408893063' post='2534371']
I personally hope it turns into 'Pop' as in 'popular' - ie, stuff lots of people will listen to - rather than establishment.
[/quote]
Me too but not sure what establishment has to do with what i said which was established.

I've been to concerts of music by John Cage, Fred Frith, AMM, Globe Unity Orchestra and Cornelius Cardew amongst many others all which had the words 'experimental music' on the poster. The same year i saw concerts by the Yamashita Trio and Derek Bailey with no mention of experimental music on the poster. I'm still not sure how you tell even if it is on the poster but i do now (if i have the opportunity) to ask the performer if it experimental music before they start playing which often puts my mind at ease.