Why become a member? ×

Nate mendel signature bass

Icunningham

I was thinking of sticking a tort pickup on mine. Or a white pearloid one. I was confused as to where to find one the right shape (and with the right screw holes, as there's a screw just below the pup, isn't there?).

Where's the best place to get them from, and which type do I need?

[quote name='omikin' timestamp='1385072766' post='2284285']
I was thinking of sticking a tort pickup on mine. Or a white pearloid one. I was confused as to where to find one the right shape (and with the right screw holes, as there's a screw just below the pup, isn't there?).

Where's the best place to get them from, and which type do I need?
[/quote]

A USA standard one lines up just fine, but the truss rod 'scoop' at the end of the neck is too big.

A 62 reissue should be perfect.

There's an extra screw in the original black pickguard - either add one to your new one, or just leave it be.

White pearl or parchment were my other thoughts. Based on pictures of late 60's/early 70's basses in candy apple red.

• 1 month later...

I've had mine for a few weeks now. Totally stunning for the money! The nitro feels lovely, the quarter pounders are fantastic and have such a great range of tones (depending on where you attack the strings) and I'm actually really liking the black pickguard in the flesh! I am considering switching out the quarter pounder for something a bit less aggressive (I'm thinking maybe an aguilar ag4p-60) but that's a distant plan, I'm more than happy with the quarter pounder for the foreseeable future :-)

If anyone is thinking about buying one of these, don't hesitate! Superb quality and a great price :-)

• 4 weeks later...

Played one of these last week - all stock with rounds through an Ashdown amp (as Nate would) Absolutely loved it! Even opened the tone up full and cranked the treble on the amp - perfect pick sound, pure raw punk edge! Would love to hear flats on it played fingerstyle!

• 2 weeks later...

Nope, mine seems perfect as it is really, although the thinner neck was harder to set up right (set it up perfectly, 1 day later neck bow is different again. Getting it right was sort of a balancing act that lasted about a week)

Took it to the local jamsession last night and every bassplayer was loving it.
Sadly the old Warwick amp with 1x15 there could not really cope with its thunderous lows and was making fart noises most of the night. ;)

A hefty bass stack is a must with this bass.

• 1 month later...

After recently playing guitar more regularly than bass for the last couple of years the neck on my USA P feels way too thick. I have a Squire CV Jazz and the neck is maybe a little too thin. Would like to try one of these as the neck is somewhere in the middle. Never seen one in a shop to try it out.
Anyone on here in Leics have one that I could have a go on? ;)

See the nate mendel sig is so close - sd qp's and badass bridge are killer, nice shallow neck and great colour. But why the roadworn finish? Hate roadworn finishes anyway, but this is particularly bad - if you're going to do it, do it properly! Taking a great bass then beating it up because you don't like the look of a new bass - let the buyer beat it up if he loves the look so much ffs!

• 2 weeks later...

http://instagram.com/p/mz_y55OQTw/

Well, after a 3 month wait for a 'pure vintage' 1963 Fender pickguard...

It's done.

7.9lbs of fendery filth.

(The filthy surroundings are my staff room at work - something I shall not miss when I finish on Thursday after 11 years)

Edited by AndyTravis