Why become a member? ×

Lead sockets on warwicks - very bass-ic question

lowdowner

OK - a very bass-ic question :unsure:

Does anyone know if the 'active pickup' power draw (i.e. using the bass's battery) continues on my warwick thumb whilst the lead is plugged in regardless of whether the amp is on or off?

I've always assumed that the power continues to draw even with the amp off if the lead is still plugged in, but I've accidentally left one of my basses plugged in to an amp which was switched off for 24 hours without use, and it doesn't seem to have drained the battery :)

This got me thinking... maybe is *doesn't* draw power with an 'inactive' lead...

Anyone know for definite?

As others have said, the battery will draw current if you are plugged in, regardless of what is happening down the line. Current draw is very low, and 24 hours won't drain it flat - but its best to make sure you've got a fresh battery installed at regular intervals, yearly should suffice unless its been left plugged in a lot. Please let me know if you have any other questions!

[quote name='warwickhunt' timestamp='1343806589' post='1755367']
As above but the battery draw on a Warwick runs into thousands of hours....
[/quote]

Not in the Fortress Masterman!
2x 2-band MEC eqs = twice the current draw.
Which in the real world means about half the life.
On the plus side, you can hear when the battery's had enough quite easily.
Might be a good idea for me to mod it to take 2 x 9v in parallel, or just 1 per eq....

[quote name='LukeFRC' timestamp='1343846399' post='1756317']
I saw a thread on warwick jack sockets... and was shocked to find not one reference to chocolate!
[/quote]

I was going to say, the issue with Warwick jacks is generally that they are sh*te! My Thumb and Streamer never had issues, but they lead pampered lives. Some of my friends who have had Warwicks have had jacks replaced time and time again!

I must say that there definitely is some truth in the above - I've had to mess around with the jack socket in my Fortress to tighten it before it started giving me problems, and the bass is only a couple of years old and I only play it at home. Having said that, a little care makes things last longer :)