Why become a member? ×

Is this a record?

seymourfluid

[quote name='SteveK' timestamp='1343674500' post='1753572']
When there is a faulty product then, IMO, the blame is with the manufacturer... unless the suggestion is that Thomann are deliberately buying in cheaper, faulty products.
[/quote]

Sale of Goods Act states that the seller would be responsible for faulty goods sold. The customer would not go to the manufacturer unless it was purchased directly from them.
You are covered for upto 6 years against any manufacturing defects (such as parts not suitable for the job) & would be entitled to a repair, replacement or partial refund. If it's within the first 6 months, then it's up to the seller to prove that it's not a manufacturing defect.

[quote name='redstriper' timestamp='1343688391' post='1753860']
I thought this legislation allowed 7 days for cancellation not 30 and that return postage costs are not automatically covered.
This would mean that Thomman are outperforming their legal minimum duty by a considerable margin.
[/quote]

Erm, not really, if it's a faulty item.

[quote name='Musky' timestamp='1343676626' post='1753614']
See all the posts on here from people who think that something should be sold as 'ex-demo' because it's got a fingerprint on it.
[/quote]

But Thomann are essentially a box shifter, so there should be no reason for the packaging to have been opened and the bass handled for anything other than a QC inspection. They don't have to have stock on display like a shop. I would expect anything I bought from them to be in brand-new perfect and unmarked condition unless it was explicitly stated otherwise and carried an appropriate discount.

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1343723897' post='1754049']
But Thomann are essentially a box shifter, so there should be no reason for the packaging to have been opened and the bass handled for anything other than a QC inspection. They don't have to have stock on display like a shop. I would expect anything I bought from them to be in brand-new perfect and unmarked condition unless it was explicitly stated otherwise and carried an appropriate discount.
[/quote]

Depends.... they do have a store...

[quote name='crez5150' timestamp='1343720337' post='1753992']
Why do you think.... Thomann are a competitor.... If you were in their shoes and your customer had bought some kit from your competitor and then came to you when it went tits up because you're local.... how would you feel?
[/quote]If I offered a repair service in my shop, the more problems my competitors had with their products the happier I would be. Are you saying that shops are only happy to fix products sold by them?

[quote name='xgsjx' timestamp='1343720999' post='1754000']
Sale of Goods Act states that the seller would be responsible for faulty goods sold. The customer would not go to the manufacturer unless it was purchased directly from them.
You are covered for upto 6 years against any manufacturing defects (such as parts not suitable for the job) & would be entitled to a repair, replacement or partial refund. If it's within the first 6 months, then it's up to the seller to prove that it's not a manufacturing defect.
[/quote]Yes, of course the seller is responsible, but IMO if a product is faulty, he is not to blame.

[quote name='bertbass' timestamp='1343735290' post='1754306']
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]I've just received an item from Thomann that is faultless.[/font][/color]
[/quote]

Congratulations! :D

I did the same thing a couple of months back.
You know what I found amazing? Postage from Germany to Scotland is significantly quicker than from England to Scotland (come to think of it, it's qicker than local postage here too!). :lol:

[quote name='crez5150' timestamp='1343720337' post='1753992']
Why do you think.... Thomann are a competitor.... If you were in their shoes and your customer had bought some kit from your competitor and then came to you when it went tits up because you're local.... how would you feel?
[/quote]

Business is business. If you have the capability to perform the repair, and the capacity to service the customer... then why not? It's business, cash in - since I'm assuming Thomann would fund any work required? In fact, if you know their tolerances, you could make a little extra :lol:

Also, a chance to impress the customer and explain to them the advantages of trying and buying locally.

So, yes - have your peev that they didn't buy the guitar from you in the first place; but get the business if you can, as it will all add up in the end.

Edited by Gust0o

[quote name='xgsjx' timestamp='1343735702' post='1754313']
Congratulations! :D

I did the same thing a couple of months back.
You know what I found amazing? Postage from Germany to Scotland is significantly quicker than from England to Scotland (come to think of it, it's qicker than local postage here too!). :lol:
[/quote]

Me too, turned up ludicrously quickly, faster than the other thing i ordered from a shop in Plymouth (down the road) at the same time.

[quote name='crez5150' timestamp='1343675124' post='1753591']
So who was the retailer that you took it too..... I visit on average 3-4 music retailers per day and I don't think I know one that would take in a repair that came from Thomann??
[/quote]

I knew a mountain bike retailer who used to moan like hell about fixing or setting up bikes that the customer had bought elsewhere online. He didn't ever turn them away because he'd charge for it - but he always gave the punter some lip about "it wouldn't have happened if he'd bought locally & he hadn't saved anyway because of the extra work that was needed".

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1343723897' post='1754049']
[/quote]
That was the underlying point of my post, and the assumption that as a box shifter Thomann didn't actually do any QC.

Personally I'd prefer to have fingerprints on something and know that it's had some basic checks, rather than a pristine but sub par item.