Why become a member? ×

Is this a record?

seymourfluid

14:55 New bass delivered to door! (Japanese Fender Jaguar Deluxe CBL £720 from Thomann)
14:10 Plugged in to amp……… Earth buzz like you wouldn’t believe.
14:15 Checked Music Man Sterling, quiet as a mouse.
15:25 Phoned Thormann, agreed local fix without compromise to warranty.
15:35 In car
15:45 walked in to my local music shop and left my new bass behind.

Bollocks!

50 minutes to first fix. Is this a record?

[quote name='Mykesbass' timestamp='1343662009' post='1753296']
Could the local music shop not have supplied it in the first place?
[/quote]

At the moment, because of the exchange rate, it was lots cheaper from Thomann.

I have just purchased a Martin from the local shop so they are happy with me. :-)

[quote name='silddx' timestamp='1343661858' post='1753293']
WTF is it with Thomann?! They seem to send out loads of dodgy gear.
[/quote]

Or they just supply huge amonts of gear in turnover and no one ever bothers to send out a message 'I've just received an item from Thomann that is faultless'? I've bought a few things from them, including a bass, and never had an issue with any of them.

[quote name='seymourfluid' timestamp='1343662445' post='1753304']
At the moment, because of the exchange rate, it was lots cheaper from Thomann.

I have just purchased a Martin from the local shop so they are happy with me. :-)
[/quote]

But after the repair charge, probably getting close to the £765 that is being asked for by a lot of UK retailers. Trouble will be in a few more years, when everyone is buying online from the cheapest supplier and there will be no local shops left to do the repair.

p.s. glad to see you do support yours, there are lots of people that are driven by price alone.

Edited by Mykesbass

[quote name='redstriper' timestamp='1343662746' post='1753313']
Why do you say this - do you have evidence that their quality control is below average?
[/quote]

I've heard things on here, and they sent me a very dodgy Steinberger TransTrem guitar, and were then going to send me a B-stock replacement that was only stopped because I asked them to have it checked by a tech before shipping. This was after me paying for a brand new model. It also took about three weeks to get a refund, and many phone calls, they gave me some crap excuses and were even rude to me on one occasion.

[quote name='Mykesbass' timestamp='1343662881' post='1753319']
But after the repair charge, probably getting close to the £765 that is being asked for by a lot of UK retailers. Trouble will be in a few more years, when everyone is buying online from the cheapest supplier and there will be no local shops left to do the repair.

p.s. glad to see you do support yours, there are lots of people that are driven by price alone.
[/quote]

Thomann will pay the cost of the repair if the quote for the repair is a[color=#222222]cceptable, so good service after a problem.[/color]

I have always found their service excellent, they offer a no question 30 day money back guarantee, which I have used and they collected the item free and gave a refund on receipt, after checking it was in original condition.

Any experience of rudeness and bad service will obviously colour your personal opinion, as will reading a few negative posts on here, but they also have thousands of happy return customers.

[/quote]
See all the posts on here from people who think that something should be sold as 'ex-demo' because it's got a fingerprint on it.

[quote name='SteveK' timestamp='1343674500' post='1753572']
When there is a faulty product then, IMO, the blame is with the manufacturer... unless the suggestion is that Thomann are deliberately buying in cheaper, faulty products.
[/quote]

[color=#222222]Just to clarify here, I wasn't actually having a go at Thomann. If anyone is at fault, it’s poor quality control from Fender. A brand new guitar at this price should not be shipped to a customer in this state. [/color]

[color=#222222]Thomann have agreed a local fix if the cost is reasonable (They will pay) otherwise they will ship a replacement or refund my money. It saves them a bit of fuss and money if I can get a repair locally that we are both happy with. [/color]

[color=#222222]That’s fair enough in my book. I’m still however very disappointed as I have waited a week for my new baby to turn up only to find it crackles and buzzes and can’t be gigged without a fix.[/color]

[color=#222222][color=#222222]I want to use it at the Cambridge rock festival on Friday and my local shop have said they will give me a quick turn around.[/color][/color]

Edited by seymourfluid

[quote name='redstriper' timestamp='1343663818' post='1753340']I have always found their service excellent, they offer a no question 30 day money back guarantee, which I have used and they collected the item free and gave a refund on receipt, after checking it was in original condition.[/quote]
That is the bare minimum that is required of a remote seller under Directive 97/7/EC - the primary legislation for which the Consumer Protection (Distance Selling) Regulations 2000 (SI 2000 No 2334) is the UK Parliament's implementation. A seller would have to be outperforming the minimum duty placed on it by law before I'd think about complimenting its customer service.

Edited by noelk27

[quote name='seymourfluid' timestamp='1343680236' post='1753685']
[color=#222222]Just to clarify here, I wasn't actually having a go at Thomann. [/color]
[/quote]

No, that's clear. My post was more in response to the following...

[/quote]

[quote name='crez5150' timestamp='1343675124' post='1753591']
So who was the retailer that you took it too..... I visit on average 3-4 music retailers per day and I don't think I know one that would take in a repair that came from Thomann??
[/quote]
Why on Earth would that be? Seems rather odd!

[quote name='noelk27' timestamp='1343684571' post='1753782']
That is the bare minimum that is required of a remote seller under Directive 97/7/EC - the primary legislation for which the Consumer Protection (Distance Selling) Regulations 2000 (SI 2000 No 2334) is the UK Parliament's implementation. A seller would have to be outperforming the minimum duty placed on it by law before I'd think about complimenting its customer service.
[/quote]You may well be right...but, in this day of unanswered emails, phone calls and general feet-dragging by on-line retailers, prompt service and resolution is a result.

[/quote]

What more would you require?

[/quote]

I thought this legislation allowed 7 days for cancellation not 30 and that return postage costs are not automatically covered.
This would mean that Thomman are outperforming their legal minimum duty by a considerable margin.

[quote name='SteveK' timestamp='1343686825' post='1753830']
Why on Earth would that be? Seems rather odd!

[/quote]

Why do you think.... Thomann are a competitor.... If you were in their shoes and your customer had bought some kit from your competitor and then came to you when it went tits up because you're local.... how would you feel?

Edited by crez5150

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1343674836' post='1753582']
[url="https://www.google.com/search?sugexp=chrome,mod=14&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8&q=fender+jaguar+bass+hum"]I don't think Thomann are at fault.[/url][/quote]

This is very interesting! :)