Why become a member? ×

NAD TC RH750

fretmeister

I bit the bullet and got a TC RH750

Only had a 5 min go so far, but initial inpressions are for a lovely clean tone, very articulate, very very nice compression and an enormous amount of volume.

Only had it through 1 cab at the moment (Markbass Club 121) and it sounds great. I'll plug the other one in later.

I have 5 very different basses so I'm looking forward to giving this a proper run.

But I have to say I cannot understand those who say there isn't enough bass!

Oh no what have you done? By all accounts TC have misled you - these amps only put out a couple of watts, and use devil trickery to make them sound fabulous and loud. Best you send it on to me to save your disappointment and heartache ;)
Nice one... Enjoy!
Cheers
Geoff

From my experience of MB stuff I imagine it will go very nicely with the MarkBass cabs, I'm using my RH750 with a Berg AE212 and I have to EQ a fair bit of bass out, but I think the MarkBass cabs might be a better initial pairing. It'll be interesting to hear how you get on.

I also found the compressor to be very good as it does what you expect without having to fiddle with a dozen parameters which for a simpleton like me is a major plus!

Well this is one of the things I love about this amp is I can leave my pedal board at home. I ended up buying the foot switch and its great, you have the tuner/mute and channel switching right there at your feet, makes life so simple and neat. Because I play mainly pubs and am in a 4 piece, any room you can free up by not have stuff around your feet is a real bonus!

Loved the demo with the TC 210 cabs,
If my needs weren't well covered, I'd have looked at this more closely as 1st impressions were very favourable.
I can't coment on how it works with MB cabs but I would have pursued the TC cab option anwyay on the basis of the demo's I've heardf/played.

After a couple of hours... It is lovely with the MB cabs.

The compressor is superb, the tube tone thing is good and perfect for everything but Billy Sheehan tunes, and the volume is staggering. In fact I'm really hoping the cabs are a genuine 400W each because I'm worried about them!

The only annoying thing today... When I cranked it up the room was shaking. And somewhere in the room something is now loose. And rattling. And I can't find it, or even narrow down the rough area it is in. Arse :)

I think part of the APM does save your speakers from a lot of sub bass that they don't really need.

Glad you are happy with it, and the volume. Goes to show that depsite one review, its a super loud amp as they said it would be. The rest of the mag reviews are very favourable.

JTUK - I think partly why you might like it is because it does have a very similar tone to the Thunderfunk amps, apparently. Eg, a nice low mid kick, not so 'pingy' up top (there is more top end available on the 750 cf to the 450 though), and brilliant in the mix.

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1343239944' post='1747645']
Not used one of these, but did have the Classic 450, and agree, can`t understand why may seem to not rate TCs low-end. There was more than enough for me, when the amp was set flat.
[/quote]
There is a high-pass filter acting below 100Hz on these amps and the response is 6dB down at 40Hz. Whether you can hear it and whether it bothers you is obviously another matter. However, it's good to be aware that it's there, as no other bass amp manufacturer does this as far as I'm aware.

Edited by stevie

[quote name='stevie' timestamp='1343293637' post='1748321']

There is a high-pass filter acting below 100Hz on these amps and the response is 6dB down at 40Hz. Whether you can hear it and whether it bothers you is obviously another matter. However, it's good to be aware that it's there, as no other bass amp manufacturer does this as far as I'm aware.
[/quote]

'Fire in the hole!!!!!' lol

I dont care what the specs on paper are when it sounds this good, iv had mine for a while now and it does everything i need and more, the compression works very well, there are plenty of lows (it doesnt sound cut off at 100hz to me but there could be some technical witchcraft in play there) there is plenty of top end too, a must for my bass sound and its epic in volume through my barefaced s12t. I like it loud and i have never need to push it beyond about 10 oclock on the master even without pa support

[quote name='winterfire666' timestamp='1343326768' post='1749059']
I dont care what the specs on paper are when it sounds this good, iv had mine for a while now and it does everything i need and more, the compression works very well, there are plenty of lows (it doesnt sound cut off at 100hz to me but there could be some technical witchcraft in play there) there is plenty of top end too, a must for my bass sound and its epic in volume through my barefaced s12t. I like it loud and i have never need to push it beyond about 10 oclock on the master even without pa support
[/quote]

Barefaced Super12 with a tweeter?

Mmmm... I had been considering a cab change too! :D

[quote name='stevie' timestamp='1343293637' post='1748321']
[/quote]

But how much 40Hz can you actually hear? Granted that's the gut rumbly area but this is very similar to what the thumpinator does which get's nothing but praise. It's obviously not a huge roll off down there either if it's only -6db by the time it reaches 40Hz aswell.

All aside, I think mine sounds great and I trust my ears :)

[quote name='charic' timestamp='1343329230' post='1749120']
But how much 40Hz can you actually hear? Granted that's the gut rumbly area but this is very similar to what the thumpinator does which get's nothing but praise. It's obviously not a huge roll off down there either if it's only -6db by the time it reaches 40Hz aswell.

All aside, I think mine sounds great and I trust my ears :)
[/quote]

I much prefer a tighter low end with a massive low mid thick kick...thats my kinda tone. Treble to taste. Hence probably why the 750 works for me.

Edited by Musicman20

[quote name='charic' timestamp='1343329230' post='1749120']
[/quote]
40 to 80Hz is where you get the scale to your sound - so it's quite important. And 6dBs is quite audible. Taking that area down can often make your sound cleaner, which is probably where Musicman and others are coming from.