Why become a member? ×

Getting rid of tab ?

BassMan94

[quote name='Commando Jack' timestamp='1343055262' post='1744405']
Never! Besides I'd have already bought a Russian bride with my lottery winnings.
[/quote]

Tart! She'll never love you like I could!

Anyway, I'm feeling all emotionally bruised by your rejection. It's a pity, as I'd just found [i]two[/i] cans... oh well, more for me!

It may always be that one note, but if it's a B on your guitar, and you play it as an open 2nd string, it will lack the power and majesty of Mr hendrix's 14th fret on the 5th string, which will give you that lovely squealy noise you were after.
Tab, for stringed instruments, is bloody useful for this sort of thing. In conjunction with the score up above it as well of course, so you know how long to make it squeal for ;)

[quote name='Dave Vader' timestamp='1343056651' post='1744443']
It may always be that one note, but if it's a B on your guitar, and you play it as an open 2nd string, it will lack the power and majesty of Mr hendrix's 14th fret on the 5th string, which will give you that lovely squealy noise you were after.
Tab, for stringed instruments, is bloody useful for this sort of thing. In conjunction with the score up above it as well of course, so you know how long to make it squeal for ;)
[/quote]

Ah, so I wasn't going mad!

[quote name='Dave Vader' timestamp='1343056651' post='1744443']
[/quote]

This may be true. But classical guitar notation has a cunning way around this by annotating the B with a circled "5". Of course, as my guitar, my strings, and my fingers aren't the same as Jimi's, I may find that there's another B on the board that works better for me. Alas, if I rely on tab I may not even know that it's a B, or where the other Bs might be on the board. (Or even that other Bs exist.)

But this tab vs. notation has been done to death: OP's question was, how to get rid of it from a PDF. Printout, scissors and tape would be my suggestion.

[i]Ideally... [/i]and I'm sure this is technically possible... we could have an electronic publication with checkboxes allowing to show score notation, tab, or both. Get to it, software developers!

[quote name='ras52' timestamp='1343057322' post='1744458']
This may be true. But classical guitar notation has a cunning way around this by annotating the B with a circled "5". Of course, as my guitar, my strings, and my fingers aren't the same as Jimi's, I may find that there's another B on the board that works better for me. Alas, if I rely on tab I may not even know that it's a B, or where the other Bs might be on the board. (Or even that other Bs exist.)
[/quote]

Does anyone use this for bass guitar notation? I've never seen it.

[quote name='ras52' timestamp='1343057322' post='1744458']

But this tab vs. notation has been done to death: OP's question was, how to get rid of it from a PDF. Printout, scissors and tape would be my suggestion.

[i]Ideally... [/i]and I'm sure this is technically possible... we could have an electronic publication with checkboxes allowing to show score notation, tab, or both. Get to it, software developers!
[/quote]

It's called GuitarPro, TuxGuitar or Powertab ;)

[quote name='charic' timestamp='1343047684' post='1744200']
You forgot to mention that score doesn't tell you where to put your fingers on a bass ;)

It only tells you what note to play, hence you need to do some working out and it's harder to sight read.

Using a combination of tab and score simultaneously I find it very easy to sight read relatively complex basslines purely because I'm taking the best of both worlds.
[/quote]

There's proper conventions for fingering, in score notation, much of it borrowed from classical guitar. Yiu can indicate which reftting hand finger plays the note, which string it's on and which position you are in to play it. There are also up & down pickstroke markings borrowed from the violinists' bow markings, and again picking hand digits can be indicated as per the classical guitarists' [i]p i m a[/i] markings. It's all there. You [b]don't [/b]need TAB. Trust me.

Oh yes, it can be marked. But often isn't. Which isn't entirely helpful to the beginner; speaking from my personal experience. Hence I did find it useful to read both lines, until I built some genuine familiarity.

Fact is, you do what's best for you :)

Rest be damned.

Edited by Gust0o

As a newbie I use tab combined with the notation above to see what kind of note it is but as I haven't learned every note on the fretboard as yet I'd be fairly lost. I could work out the name of the note eg all cows eat grass.. But if I did that and worked out what string to use, the song would have finished before I pressed the first fret :-(.

Trying to hit every note on time in a song is taking me weeks and weeks of practice... In fact I've only been able to nail one song of five in Rockschool Grade 3 so far in about 2 months:-( ..it's on utube...... Without TAB it would take even longer

I've always wanted to play an instrument and TAB is giving me that chance........ I spend more hours reading music, books, listening to book CDs , and looking at utube than I do holding my Bass :-(. Stuff like the circle of fifths, inner circle, inverted arpeggios, complex weird chords is really complex to grasp and I've got a first class honours degree but at least with TAB, after beating myself up with the inability to understand all that stuff... I can play a few notes and make something very loosely described as music :-)

[quote name='leroydiamond' timestamp='1343068390' post='1744758']
Whats the deal here? if you don't like tab just ignore it. I like tab, so use I use it. Different horses for different courses I guess.
[/quote]

Its hard to not let your eyes drift down to it sometimes though when you really want to get it right from the score, reading in key also means that even if you know where a F is on the staff unless you can read it would be flat if you were in the key of G Major for example.

This thread is going to become about tab and reading not just the fact that someone trying to read from the staff does not want the tab below (the title is a little cheeky I guess) Its a bit like taking an exam you really want to pass fair and square but someone has put the answers below each question! Put them on the back or on a seperate sheet, I have no issue with that. :)

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1343065170' post='1744668']
I wondered how long it would be before this thread was taken out of context!
[/quote]

Not long. My fault. I get a little defensive of other players around the "you [i]must[/i] learn music camp" - my bad!

[quote name='leroydiamond' timestamp='1343068390' post='1744758']
Whats the deal here? if you don't like tab just ignore it. I like tab, so use I use it. Different horses for different courses I guess.
[/quote]
The deal is, it's hard to ignore, and the OP doesn't want to be distracted by it. He didn't start banging the "tab is evil" drum, he just wanted some advice on how to get rid of the distraction.

[quote name='ras52' timestamp='1343072256' post='1744872']
The deal is, it's hard to ignore, and the OP doesn't want to be distracted by it. He didn't start banging the "tab is evil" drum, he just wanted some advice on how to get rid of the distraction.
[/quote]

Not sure how to get rid of the distraction (For those that are distracted) but it seems like its quite common for Tab to lie underneath the score and I cannot see this changing any time soon

[quote name='ras52' timestamp='1343072256' post='1744872']
[/quote]

Sorry chief, that's how a lot of these go. As above, my bad.

As was said to the OP previously, the best thing to do might be to edit the material - blank it out on paper; edit it out on PDF; or look at some of the software options, which will let you customise what you can see.

If he's after new material, I'm pretty sure many publishers do score-only versions. Might be another idea?

Edited by Gust0o