Why become a member? ×

play for free

slobluesine

See I don't know it is, I said from the start pubs gigs don't really bother me. I think most of us would see that. It's bands playing smaller venues that have to deal with the free band issue. I think this whole thing has been blown out of proportion, people need to start somewhere but they also need to realise that they can't mess with others who need these gigs as heir livelihood.

A few post back the quote " love thy neighbour" was used,it swings both ways

Edited by swanbrook

[quote name='swanbrook' timestamp='1350339315' post='1837661']
Sorry dude but one liners don't cut it with me, that can be taken so many different ways. Right now I am not sure if your being patronising, it's unclear from one line.
[/quote]

I wasn't taking the piss when I was talking about your band, you look really professional and the songs are performed to a higher standard than most bands! Anything else though? No comment :)

[quote name='chrismuzz' timestamp='1350340120' post='1837683']

I wasn't taking the piss when I was talking about your band, you look really professional and the songs are performed to a higher standard than most bands! Anything else though? No comment :)
[/quote]
Yeah sorry dude read that a bit fast, it is hard sometimes to pick up on what someone means from a quick one line.

[quote name='swanbrook' timestamp='1350340259' post='1837687']
Yeah sorry dude read that a bit fast, it is hard sometimes to pick up on what someone means from a quick one line.
[/quote]

You asked first, instead of diving in and calling me a massive knobhead, so it's cool :lol:

Hi just been reading this thread. Seems to me there are many factors to think about, it's never clear cut. Years ago I was playing in an originals band, We played a number of short gigs for nothing to get the band known. We offset the cost by doing paid gigs. I'm like most musicians, I simply love playing, but as it's all I do I need to earn so apart from charity gigs, and the odd festival I only do paid ones now. Although I have been known to help out friends sometimes for fuel money. I don't have an issue with bands playing for nothing, though I know some who do. I do think that musicians should be paid, after all even as a hobby it's not cheap these days (if it ever was).

[quote name='swanbrook' timestamp='1350345513' post='1837743']
Lol, yup tell me about it !

I have been thinking about going six myself too
Just for the sport of it !
[/quote]

Aside from all the controversy surrounding them, they're actually fun to play and make it easier as you'll be moving your fretting hand less! Sometimes people get impressed too I guess ;)

[quote name='swanbrook' timestamp='1350365649' post='1837775']
Yeah sorry dude what bass ? I am using Dingwall at the minute but I would think a cheap 6 string will be on the cards first
[/quote]

Always wanted to try a Dingwall! I bet the B on those is thunderous! I'm using a Peavey Grind. Really nice to play on, solid as a rock, and cheap too! :D

• 1 month later...

an update... muso songwriter contacts me and wants some upright bass on his latest album, says he's an old pro so i assume he has some respect for his fellow musicians. i assume wrong...

studio is 100 mile round trip and theres no food, so bring some grub and here we go... i'm expected to do this for FREE, not even EXPENSES, WTF...

when i ask for some cash i get called a 'mercenary sob' (this is not verbal all in joky email btw) which is fair enough but when i ask if the engineer and studio owners are as ,mercenary as me he stops typing.

[quote name='SteveK' timestamp='1354209531' post='1883683']
You get chancers in every walk of life, who'll try to get something for nothing. These chancers don't usually amount to anything... unless becoming a double-glazing salesman is 'amounting to something'. :unsure:
[/quote]

yeah, but i dont expect to get it from fellow musicians, fact is he's a well respected musician/songwriter round these parts, does a lot of radio, lots of albums under his belt.

[quote name='slobluesine' timestamp='1354208006' post='1883663']
an update... muso songwriter contacts me and wants some upright bass on his latest album, says he's an old pro so i assume he has some respect for his fellow musicians. i assume wrong...

studio is 100 mile round trip and theres no food, so bring some grub and here we go... i'm expected to do this for FREE, not even EXPENSES, WTF...
[/quote]

now that's very cheeky and insulting

However if he finds someone with the right skills and gear who will do it for nothing for the fun of it, then I've no problem with that if its their choice, but to ask is wrong

[quote name='slobluesine' timestamp='1354211829' post='1883730']
[b]yeah, but i dont expect to get it from fellow musicians,[/b] fact is he's a well respected musician/songwriter round these parts, does a lot of radio, lots of albums under his belt.
[/quote]
I know we musicians like to think that we're all in one big club, looking out for each other... fact is, musicians are equally as adept at bullshit and less than honest shenanigans as motor mechanics and builders. At least this guy is totally honest about not paying you.
I'm reminded of one particular well known guitarist who, once upon a time, had the best musicians in the business happy to play for him... now unfortunately, his reputation is such that nobody of any calibre will work with him unless they are paid up front, he doesn't like to pay so is now reliant on amateurs and third rate musicians.

Edited by SteveK

I play for free every gig lately...

.oh we get paid but as i live in Nottingham and the gigs are in Coventry or Birmingham I book a hotel so that I can have a beer or three!

so petrol.beer,hotel....much more than the 50 quid I get from the gig....but my girlfriend ( I want to wite.. comes with me... here but I know what you lot are like ;) ) goes to the gigs too and we just treat it as a night out :rolleyes:

[quote name='Raymondo' timestamp='1354270859' post='1884236']
I play for free every gig lately...

.oh we get paid but as i live in Nottingham and the gigs are in Coventry or Birmingham I book a hotel so that I can have a beer or three!

so petrol.beer,hotel....much more than the 50 quid I get from the gig....but my girlfriend ( I want to wite.. comes with me... here but I know what you lot are like ;) ) goes to the gigs too and we just treat it as a night out :rolleyes:
[/quote]

Sure, if that works, it works.

I just have to come away from a gig with money in the pocket.
I've belly-ached about it so much that it is ingrained.
....and tbh, I am not impressed with 'free' bands for whatever reason..
But there might be a gig round here that I'd do for free, ...but a few beers on the tab would be nice... but the gig itself would be paid.