Why become a member? ×

play for free

slobluesine

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1342873761' post='1742156']
Music is enjoyable. People like doing enjoyable things for nothing.

This upsets people who want to get paid for doing said enjoyable thing.

...there's no answer, really.
[/quote]

just cos it's enjoyabe doesn't mean you should do it for free, maybe i should be more specific..

its the gigs where people pay to get in, sound, lighting, security, bar staff, EVERYONE gets paid except the band

[quote name='slobluesine' timestamp='1342874065' post='1742166']
just cos it's enjoyabe doesn't mean you should do it for free, maybe i should be more specific..

its the gigs where people pay to get in, sound, lighting, security, bar staff, EVERYONE gets paid except the band
[/quote]

That's exploitation. But, I if musicians are fully aware of it, and for whatever still play for free, isn't that ok? Informed choice, and all that.

[quote name='slobluesine' timestamp='1342874065' post='1742166']

[/quote]

Fair point.Sound,lighting,security,staff etc are doing their jobs and expect to get paid.(as did I),but I think generally speaking many bands are by definition not full time musicians,so they're bottom of the pile when it comes to handing out the cash.

the only way you will get paid for doing something like this is if you are willing to do it for free I take every situation on its merits. I'm not adverse to doing the odd gig for free, however I'm not a mug if I agree to do something for free I make sure I'm getting something else out of it. Be it playing with a new group of musicians, decent photographs if there's someone taking pictures or maybe even a favour to call in further down the line just because your not getting paid for a gig doesn't mean your not benefiting from it

[quote name='Spike Vincent' timestamp='1342874758' post='1742176']
Fair point.Sound,lighting,security,staff etc are doing their jobs and expect to get paid.(as did I),but I think generally speaking many bands are by definition not full time musicians,so they're bottom of the pile when it comes to handing out the cash.
[/quote]

that's what pisses me off, why should muso's be considered bottom of the pile? my gig expenses are way higher than any sound, lighting, security persons

[quote name='Cameronj279' timestamp='1342875237' post='1742189']
I'd rather play for free than not play. I took up music because I enjoy it not to make money.

I would much rather play for money obviously.
[/quote]

how can you afford to play for free? playing for free means it costs you....

[quote name='Cameronj279' timestamp='1342875415' post='1742195']
I can't, but I would at least enjoy playing rather than sulking in the house alone wishing I was playing a gig.
[/quote]

i'd rather not do the freebie, i can't justify loosing the cash and the fact that everyone is getting paid pisses me off.

i turned down two 'festival' deps this weekend, neither of them even paid expenses :mellow:

Edited by slobluesine

[quote name='slobluesine' timestamp='1342875660' post='1742197']

i'd rather not do the freebie, i can't justify loosing the cash and the fact that everyone is getting paid pisses me off
[/quote]

Yeah, same here. I've never played a free gig (I'm finding it impossible to find a group of reliable people to even get a band together) but I probably would. Even if it was just for promo or experience...or free drinks.

[quote name='slobluesine' timestamp='1342875660' post='1742197']
i'd rather not do the freebie, i can't justify loosing the cash and the fact that everyone is getting paid pisses me off
[/quote]

I think maybe another way to look at it is that of course its nice not to loose money on gigs but sometimes you have to take a hit if your benefiting in other ways for example bar staff are not likely to pick up other jobs from working their shift at the venue however there is a chance (how much of a chance is up to you to weigh up) that there will be someone there who wants to book you for another gig be that another musician on stage on the gig or an audience member the trick is to not do so many free gigs that it becomes unsustainable but to do just enough to keep your name on everyone's lips and to pick and choose the venues you play at to better target the circles of people you want to enter to gain more possibly better/paid gigs