Why become a member? ×

La Cabronita 'Porazzo' Custom Precision Build

Billy Apple

[quote name='kevin_lindsay' timestamp='1356221769' post='1908220']
Won't be long now mate!! I'm in the same boat - 2 weeks until my own Andy Summers Tele build is completed!
[/quote]

It seems like an age has gone by since I started all this. I was hoping to get her all fixed up before Xmas, but think she is in a back-log somewhere cos of the time of year.

Was hoping to check her out on Xmas day with an OC-2 I scored here ;)

New year maybe?

I've been very keeping very quiet today, as I didn't know whether I would finish this, but at near 3am I've done as much as I can. The only thing stopping me finish is the lack of a 1/16th Inch Allen key (mine are all metric) to do the saddle height. Everything seems to work as it should, although the strings are slammed down on the frets at the mo. I tuned her at the 20th fret to get the right tension on the neck. I'll get the right key later today. She is very light, weighing in at 7.6 lbs, and the finish on the body is superb.

So without further a-do, Ladles and Jelly-Spoons, Presenting my Rutter/Warmoth (Ruttmoth?) Custom La Cabronita Precision..

Thanks for all the comments. She's up and running now, and (apart from the strings) sounds fantastic. Very powerfull Pup with a wide tone. KiOgon's circuit was very easy to install, and she is completely noiseless, even through my old Carlsboro 150w combo sitting right under halogen spots on dimmers.

I've strung her with the Roto 45 rounds I won in the raffle at the SE Bass Bash, but they are a bit bright and toppy. I'm looking to sling her with flats and I'm torn between GHS or LaBella Flats.

I don't think I can sing the praises of the neck enough. It is absolutly flawless with some very subtle flame, grain and figure that does not show in the pics. It is absolutely rock solid. I don't know whether it's because it is quarter-sawn, or has graphite stiffening rods, but it has come from hot dry California to rainy old Berkshire and has not moved an inch since stringing. Feels full and deep with the C shape, but is fast and manageable Because the truss rod nut is at the heel, the neck has to come off to adjust, so I was advised to put on a little turn and take it from there. Even the little turn I put in was too much, and have now taken all but all the tension off the rod, and the relief is just right.

The bridge is working just right, and the compensated saddles are working very well. She intonated correctly on the E and A with no adjustment, and only slightly needed on the D and G. I set her up following The Jerzy Drozd manual and have got 2mm clearance across the strings at the 20th, so a lovely low action. Most other basses move slightly overnight following any adjustment, not this one, just completely solid.

The body is so comfy its unreal. It totally has that slab look, but the arm cut especially is beautifully contoured. The finish is great and the hardware is beautiful. All the screws are slot headed, and its a really nice touch.

Sounds great, feels great, looks great.. What more could you want? :)

Edited by Billy Apple

• 7 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...