Why become a member? ×

La Cabronita 'Porazzo' Custom Precision Build

Billy Apple

The tuners arrived today, was all exited 'till I discovered they'd sent FB3's instead of GBR640's, so in a grump about that. I bought them through ebay, but from a shop using pay-pal. I've emailed them, so hopefully all will be sorted.

On the plus side the circuit from KiOgon has arrived. It was very originally packed in a Yorkshire Tea box, which Royal Mail had a good try to get any left-over tea-bags out. But the buggers failed and now I'm the proud owner of an exclusive to BC KiOgon Greasebucket tone circuit :D

[size=4]Just has an email from ALS, in connection with the tuners..

[color=#000000][font=arial, sans-serif]'mate I am very sorry for the mix up[/font][/color][color=#000000][font=arial, sans-serif]. I will send out the right tuners express shipping. As for the return in this case I would be happy to transfer money to you via paypal in order for you to pay for the return postage. Maybe you could let us know how much you have to pay for it and I will fix you up straight away. '[/font][/color]

[color=#000000][font=arial, sans-serif]I think that's pretty good customer service :)[/font][/color][/size]

Edited by billyapple

Just had the 'Payslip' style note through the door from Parcelfarce. Tore off the three edges to reveal £20 VAT and £13.50 clearence fee. I'm not fussed about the VAT, fair enough, but the 'fee' is taking the piss, over 50% of the VAT charge? Come on!

It must be the Pup, so I've been like this for the rest of the weekend..

:) :angry: :) :angry: :) :angry:

:) :D ;)

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1343673127' post='1753536']
Heh! :D But there already exist many with that colour scheme, albeit in a limited edition... personally I'd go for something unique, unless of course you want people to think you've bought a £2,500 bass... ;) Which is fair enough.

Here's another thought... hi-gloss dakota red with black pickguard. :)
[/quote]

Your post has got me thinking about the whole custom build/real thing dilemma. It would never cross my mind to try to pass off this build as a CS Fender, I think people in the know will know exactly what she is. Also, as I said I hope this will be better than the Fender. I don't give a monkeys about what people think I've paid for anything. To tell you the truth Mark, I could have bought the Fender, but my natural 'scale' thought it too heavy on price, although now I'm paying in waiting time, taxes, fees and finishing costs.

She will cost less than the CS, but by how much? Enough to make it worthwhile? I'm not sure at the moment. And if I was to sell her on, I'd have a greater depreciation than the Fender, so in a sense, why bother?

I suppose why I (and yourself) would bother is you get what you want, and not a 50-75% hit ratio of what you like and what you don't like. Plus, I want her to be the one I keep and pass on to the next generation, so I don't consider after-sales issues.

I know exactly what you mean about building something unique. But the black body looks ace, and I suppose I can't help it if Fender feel the same way too..

At the moment she will be black, although the pink is still on the back burner.

Dakota Red!? Black Guard? Get out of town! :P :D ;)

Parcel Force attempted delivery yesterday. I thought they would have left it with my local sorting office, which is two streets from me, but no, they returned it to the depot in Acton, where it would be waiting for me. At 1pm today I drove 20 miles the depot, getting there at 1.30pm, only to be told the parcel had gone back on the van, and delivery had been re-attempted at 1.15pm NNGGGNNGGNN!!! :angry: :angry:

I've just got home to find the note thru the door. Mind you, this time they have said it's been taken to my local Post Office, so I'm off down the High St for the next instalment!

[quote name='Johnston' timestamp='1344546003' post='1766367']
What does the greasebucket do?
[/quote]

This is what Ou7shined had to say in an earlier topic I'd posted..

[quote name='Ou7shined' timestamp='1339289048' post='1686560']
To call it a circuit is a bit much. It's basically just a resistor and a cap added to a standard circuit to create a sort of simulated high pass and low pass filter to prevent muddiness. Highway 1 styleee.
[/quote]

[quote name='Roland Rock' timestamp='1344546072' post='1766369']
Lovely, worth it after all that running about!
I'd be interested to hear whether those Lloyds Pharmacy preamps are any good. Some say they're a bit sterile.
[/quote]

:lol: . You wanted to see his Vintage Modified Yorkshire Tea box

OK Folks, very happy today because the correct tuners arrived. ALS were true to their word, they PP'd me the money for the postage to return the wrong ones and must have despatched the right ones very quickly.

So now I'm the proud owner of a set of Gotoh GBR640 Vintage Reverse Wind Resolite Tuners....

Ta Da!....

The eagle-eyed will spot I've already reversed the pegs for my reversed head. Gotoh say these are only available as a right hand neck option and they can't be changed. Some people said they could, so I felt I took a chance buying them. As you can see the good news is they do change over. It's a bit of a fiddle, I just went slowly and carefully. These bad-boys are super light, smooth action, look great and very well made. They blow the ones on the Fender into a cocked hat!

• 3 weeks later...

Starting a simliar build here..I've been playing SCPB's for a while, and switched the stock Fender (in this case a 51 RI CIJ) to a side by side Fralin to get rid of the noise. This pickup sounds more like a standard P bass pickup, and while it gets rid of the buzz from stage lights etc, it doesn't sound the same as a single coil. After seeing what the people who play esquires do..I decided to get a seymour duncan cs, which is a stacked vertcal HB that fits in the same place. It has 4 wires, one for each coil, and I am experimenting with a "tone control" that allows you to have eithe single coil or humbucker or a blend between the two.

I thought I'd toss this in here, even though you've committed to the Jones pu. I still haven't heard one set up in a proper fender bass.

• 2 weeks later...

Work is just about to start on routing the body. I've had Marc advising me on layout and edge radius. Whether to go for a 1/8" (Dusty Hill Custom) or the slightly larger 5/32" (La Cab) edge. I'm going for the 5/32" with an forearm and belly cut. Marc has a great attention to detail and a fabulous wealth of knowledge, all of which is very reassuring when the work is being done so far away. If I have a question or a change of spec all my emails are responded to within 24 hours, and often within 12. It's all good stuff. After so long, it finally feels like things are coming together! :)

• 3 weeks later...

[quote name='johnp352' timestamp='1347034391' post='1796315']
Starting a simliar build here..I've been playing SCPB's for a while, and switched the stock Fender (in this case a 51 RI CIJ) to a side by side Fralin to get rid of the noise. This pickup sounds more like a standard P bass pickup, and while it gets rid of the buzz from stage lights etc, it doesn't sound the same as a single coil. After seeing what the people who play esquires do..I decided to get a seymour duncan cs, which is a stacked vertcal HB that fits in the same place. It has 4 wires, one for each coil, and I am experimenting with a "tone control" that allows you to have eithe single coil or humbucker or a blend between the two.

I thought I'd toss this in here, even though you've committed to the Jones pu. I still haven't heard one set up in a proper fender bass.
[/quote]

Hi John,

Sorry I missed this post, but thanks for the input. The whole thing with the TV Jones is relatively new to me too. All I can say is when I played the CS La Cab it looked and sounded fantastic. Creamy and rich as I remember (It's been a while since this build started). It seems like the finish line is in sight and hopefully this will be a wonderful Christmas present to myself!