Why become a member? ×

New Bass day getting closer!

Benplaysbass

Getting quite excited, its not long now and I shall be getting my hands on this......

[url="http://www.flickr.com/photos/benelliott/7557766218/"][/url]

[url="http://www.flickr.com/photos/benelliott/7557765496/"][/url]

Its a Bravewood P bass with two carbon fibre truss rods and a Bare knuckle pickup. Really looking forward to playing it as I've never had an expensive guitar. Not that it makes you a better player of course but after nearly twenty years of playing thought it might be nice to treat myself to something nice and handmade.

[quote name='lettsguitars' timestamp='1342126403' post='1730190']
Carbon fibre truss rods? Do you mean stiffening rods? They only replace a hole where the 'tonewood' was removed you know ;)
[/quote]
Just checked the email I had from them and it says 'The neck has two carbon fibre truss rods imbedded in it, keeping the neck rigid, this also helps eliminate dead spots on the neck and gives an even tone over the finger board'. At the end of the day I think it will feel alot nicer than my £200 Thunderbird.

Edited by Benplaysbass

[quote name='Benplaysbass' timestamp='1342126832' post='1730205']
Just checked the email I had from them and it says 'The neck has two carbon fibre truss rods imbedded in it, keeping the neck rigid, this also helps eliminate dead spots on the neck and gives an even tone over the finger board'. At the end of the day I think it will feel alot nicer than my £200 Thunderbird.
[/quote]

Congratulations Ben lovely bass, I particularly like the maple stripes on the back of te neck. The carbon fiber thingies are not trussrods but stiffening spears, usually each embedded either side of the real trussrod, you couldn't make a trussrod made of carbon as it is a non adjustable medium with a set tensile strength.

Ver nice bass indeed when are you getting it?

• 1 month later...

I've got it, and all I can say is that I don't think I will ever sell this one. Talk about amazing. the quality is out of this world.
Have been using it today at band practice and with a bit of volume on the amp it just sounds awesome. I think the Zoom pedal will be going as it just sounds so good on its own.

Ben was here at "[i][b]Dingwall Towers"[/b][/i] last Tues and I got to try that bass, it was absolutely amazing to hear and play. Overall weight was spot on and the bass was well balanced when played sitting down without a strap. The Bareknuckle pickup had just the right bite and an amazing growl to it. Lucky Ben got himself a serious piece of kit!

I had never tried a Bravewood bass before but I can confirm that geezer can build a serious instrument and I will look him up when and if I am in the market for a "project" bass.

Nice one Benno' :)

Edited by Grand Wazoo

'Dingwall Towers' I like it Fran. Was good to see you again after a few years. Was also good to compare a Bravewood to a real Fender and think I have done alright with the Bravewood.
As for those wonky Dingwalls Fran!!!! To be perfectly honest, when I first saw pictures I thought no chance. But having tried a couple now I just think they are awesome. Didn't take very long at all to forget about the fanned frets and just get on with playing. The active super J was something else!
But I'm a bit of an old school rock type player and the Bravewood P is the one for me, I just love the good old thump you get from a P bass.
I'll try and do some recordings with it(when no one else is in the house) and link it here.